Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Public Safety Center

Default Re: New Public Saftey Center

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Ready for 2015 to be here, this is going to be an amazing facility.
    Agree!

EDMOND — The City Council learned this week that Timberlake Construction is the lowest bidder for the Public Safety Center facility at $27.478 million. Groundbreaking for the 70,000-square-foot Public Safety Center will be 9 a.m. Aug. 23 at 100 E. First St.

-See more: City accepts $27M construction bid for safety center » Local News » The Edmond Sun

From Edmonds website.

"EDMOND, OK – A groundbreaking ceremony will take place Friday, August 23 at 9:00 am for the new Edmond Public Safety Center. The facility is located on the southeast corner of First Street & Littler Avenue at the site of the former City Administration Building.

The 70,000 square foot multipurpose Public Safety Center will house the Edmond Police Department, Public Safety Communications and Emergency Management functions.

Design services for the Public Safety Center were provided by Frankfurt-Short-Bruza. Timberlake Construction has been selected as the contractor for the project at a cost of $27,478,200 and will have 720 days to complete the project upon notice to proceed.

Funding for the new facility is provided through a half cent sales tax over a five year period that was approved by Edmond voters in October 2011"

- Edmond, OK - Official Website

'EDMOND — Work on the new public safety center complex could start within 30 days now that council members have approved a $27,478,200 construction bid.

Timberlake Construction Co., of Oklahoma City, will build the 70,000-square-foot building on the southeast corner of First Street and Littler Avenue. The three-story building will change the landscape of downtown Edmond.

The building will be the home of police headquarters, 911 communications and emergency management operations. The bid included a second building at 315 W 33rd St. that will house the crime lab and vehicle and evidence storage'

-Read more here: Edmond public safety center to cost nearly $27.5 million | News OK

Groundbreaking was today. Will be awesome once they really get things rollin.

''Officials laud start of Public Safety Center
    James Coburn
    The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — Ground was broken Friday morning at 100 E. First St. to build a new Public Safety Center in Edmond.

At last, the city’s long-awaited event brought police officers and city leaders together with a crowd of about 200 people. The Public Safety Center will combine the Edmond Police Department with Central Communications and Emergency Management.''

- See more at: Officials laud start of Public Safety Center » Local News » The Edmond Sun

Heh... haven't seen a golden shovel in a while. Childhood flashback when we had a couple of those in our garage.

Fence installed in preparation for center construction
    James Coburn
    The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — A fence was installed at a downtown Edmond parking lot to separate the future construction of the Public Safety Center. The Public Safety Center will be constructed at 100 E. 1st St.

Road closures are scheduled to begin during the first half of September.

- See more at: Fence installed in preparation for center construction » Local News » The Edmond Sun

''Construction Set to Begin on Public Safety Center

Construction is set to begin on the new Public Safety Center in downtown Edmond by the middle of September. The new 70,000 square foot facility will be located on the southeast corner of First Street and Littler Avenue.

The construction will cause street and road closures in the area immediately surrounding the work site. These closures will coincide with the work which is slated to last approximately two calendar years.
    During these closures, please note that the following changes are anticipated in the downtown area:

1. Thru traffic will not be allowed on First Street between Broadway and Boulevard.
    2. Thru traffic will not be allowed on Littler Avenue between Second Street and Main Street.
    3. Parking will be stressed during peak times throughout the downtown area as several areas near the construction site will be closed.

The total project length is 720 calendar days. Timberlake Construction is the contractor with a total project cost of $27,478,200.''

Edmond, OK - Official Website

From Newsok road construction article

"EDMOND — Drivers beware. Road construction work could be around the corner in Edmond.

Downtown motorists need to find alternate routes for the next two years while the city's $27.5 million public safety center is being constructed on the southeast corner of Littler Avenue and First Street.

Kelly Avenue between Covell and Coffee Creek roads is closed while construction crews replace a bridge. Kelly Avenue will be widened. PHOTO BY PAUL B. SOUTHERLAND, THE OKLAHOMAN. PAUL B. SOUTHERLAND
    Streets now closed are Littler Avenue from Second Street north to the alley on the north side of the police department and municipal courts; the alley on the north side of FedEx Kinkos and Taco Bueno, and First Street between Boulevard and Littler Avenue.

First Street from Broadway to Littler Avenue will be open only to local traffic.

Construction also will eliminate parking around the construction site, city hall, municipal court, council chambers and the police station''

Motorists should be cautious of Edmond Road construction projects | News OK

''Downtown Edmond construction update
    Published: September 19, 2013 by Diana Baldwin 0

Crew started this week digging down 16 to 18 feet to make room for the basement of the public safety building''

- Downtown Edmond construction update | News OK

A minor update by the Edmond Sun:

Public Safety Center footprint now visible
    Mark Schlachtenhaufen
    The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — Construction workers continue excavation work in downtown Edmond Thursday at the site for the upcoming Public Safety Center. The footprint for the 70,000-square-foot facility being built on the southeast corner of First Street and Littler Avenue is now more visible. The total project length is 720 calendar days. Timberlake Construction is the contractor with a total project cost of $27.5 million. Groundbreaking was in August. Work is also progressing nearby on the geothermal heating and cooling system. Lines of trucks have been hauling red dirt off site.

- See more at: Public Safety Center footprint now visible » Local News » The Edmond Sun

Just now noticed the guys last name who wrote that-THAT- is hilarious!

Wow! How have I been missing this thread? Even though I live in Edmond. Major slap to the head.

Well, I don't often pass by that area. But now I know what my mom's been complaining about. The last couple of times that I talked to her, she's been grumbling about all the construction downtown. She banks at Citizen's Bank (I think) and has to go through that area regularly. Looking at the big pit in the photo above -- now I understand.

Well cool. This is only a couple of miles away from me. Once they start construction, I can go down and take a few pics of the progress.

I'd also like to see something happen with that housing thing around Campbell. I could document that too.

If you've seen someone riding the bike lanes, it is likely me! I have been riding the s**t out of those things lol

Great new article here:

City considers future of existing police station

James Coburn
    The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — The future use of the current Edmond Police Department headquarters was discussed Tuesday by the Edmond City Council at a public workshop.

Options include gutting the 23 E. First St. building site for total renovation and reconfiguration. The second option calls for renovation and expanding the existing two-story building east to the building setback line for a total of 35,500 square feet.

“It’s the most efficient response we think, and provides you the most economical, viable solution,” said Thomas Small, owner and director of Small Architects.

A current construction budget for the building itself would be about $170 per square foot, Small said. Building a new addition would be $200 per square foot, he said. It would be possible to move into the building by 2018 if the council chooses to move ahead with the project as early as next year, Small said.

The third option considers renovating the building and expanding to the east with a three-story building. Whether to construct a new three-story Administrative Office Building on the property was also discussed by the council.

Mayor Charles Lamb said the first floor of a new building could have a private enterprise aspect of retail and fine dining. No decisions have been made. Tuesday’s discussion was purely conceptual.

Growing pains for a city in transition

“There is an issue of timing because we will be looking forward to opening our streets back up,” Lamb said. “I guess I’m counter-arguing tearing it down and starting again due to the impact on downtown. If it’s a renovation, it seems the impact is lessened to some extent.”

Today, thru traffic is not allowed on First Street between Broadway and Boulevard. Thru traffic is also closed on Littler Avenue between Second Street and Main Street due to ongoing construction of the new Public Safety Center.

Future of Downtown Community Center

in question

All city staff functions that are currently housed in the Downtown Community Center could relocate into the new City Administration Building if the Council chooses to expand the existing building’s footprint, Small said. Meeting rooms would be available in a new facility, he added.

“There would have to be projections made for what each department would need in the future, so we don’t paint ourselves in the corner of certain areas of the building,” Small said.

The community center houses functions of Oklahoma County as well as the state Department of Public Safety. These entities could move to the Administration Building. The auditorium and general public meeting rooms would be not be duplicated in the Administrative Building.

“So we really are contemplating taking down two-thirds or more of the DCC,” said Victoria Caldwell, city councilwoman'

- See more at: City considers future of existing police station » Local News » The Edmond Sun

The current facility has been renovated or altered so many times I'd have to think at some point enough is enough. With the progress being made, the city needs to go to the citizens as the police department nears completion and see if they'd support building a new city hall from the ground up. All city staff would remain where they've been relocated during construction. Make it 3 or 4 stories and relocate the council chambers and courts to the first floor along with utility customer service. Then whatever office staff remain that aren't located at Covell, can work out of the top two or three floors.

This would maintain progress while also allowing for demolition of the current council chamber and courts for additional parking or better yet, a nicely designed parking garage which would alleviate some of the parking headaches during events or business days downtown.

I completely agree with this. I also think it getting near the time for Edmond to build it's first police substation near Arcadia lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I completely agree with this. I also think it getting near the time for Edmond to build it's first police substation near Arcadia lake.
    It will come I'd say within the next five to ten years. It's really dependent upon how long it takes for things to pickup once the Covell and I-35 interchange is completed as well as the new high school. It's be nice if the eastern substation could be integrated into a Lake Station as well so the Lake Patrol could move out of the house in Edmond Park.

In the meantime, the agency doesn't have the manpower to assign anyone east of I-35 for routine patrol much less staff a new Eastern Division.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Just when I think you are making progress . Instead of spreading city services even further out just tell people choosing to live out there that they are moving away from police protection and need to plan accordingly. Then they can decide what level of risk they want to live with.

Anyhow, back to the new Edmond Municipal District. I love the idea of Edmond consolidating all city offices in one location. I used to work for a small town and we had all our offices in one building (except the wastewater plant). It made it so easy for residents and developers because everything was in the same place. Even if they didn't know exactly what office or person they were looking for they at least knew where to look.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Just when I think you are making progress . Instead of spreading city services even further out just tell people choosing to live out there that they are moving away from police protection and need to plan accordingly. Then they can decide what level of risk they want to live with.

Anyhow, back to the new Edmond Municipal District. I love the idea of Edmond consolidating all city offices in one location. I used to work for a small town and we had all our offices in one building (except the wastewater plant). It made it so easy for residents and developers because everything was in the same place. Even if they didn't know exactly what office or person they were looking for they at least knew where to look.
    Wait, you wouldn't be in favor of a police substation out near Arcadia? I only say that because I think Edmond should really try to spur some cool development around the lake to encourage a mini tourist area. Don't you think it would be a good idea?

I agree the "convention"/conference center along with all this development on Covell is questionable, but my thinking is to create a destination around Lake Arcadia, not to encourage sprawl. Even if it does, just don't widen the roads out there; people will get the message.

Thread Information