Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Mule

Default Re: The Mule

Did The Mule move? I hope not. I wanted to enjoy an upscale Grilled Cheese sandwich at least once.
    (not counting the one my sweet wife made, with authentic tomato soup about a year ago =)

I guess I'll have to settle for some Chicken Picatta on Angel Hair pasta. Dang. =)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Did The Mule move? I hope not. I wanted to enjoy an upscale Grilled Cheese sandwich at least once.
    (not counting the one my sweet wife made, with authentic tomato soup about a year ago =)

I guess I'll have to settle for some Chicken Picatta on Angel Hair pasta. Dang. =)
    No…the Mule is still at 16th/Blackwelder!

Default Re: The Mule OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I don't get the folks who bitch about the service. Some folks do have a very unreasonable expectation as to what service in such a typically very busy place ought to look like.
    I normally have a great time there as well but a couple weeks ago was quite the exception - horrible service from new hipster waiter - to include messing up our order, knocking some of our belongings off of the table, total indifference to us and also trying to rush us out of the door. Is there anything wrong with having a couple of beers with dinner on a friday evening? Yeah i realize the place gets crowded and other people want to come inside but there wasn't anyone waiting in line at this point to be seated. They were clearly trying to get us out of there, which is why they all but refused our drink requests once we had finished our meal, pre-tabbing out.

And seriously hipster wannabe waiter, you should button that flannel shirt so that when you are reaching across our table, the bottom of your shirt isnt dragging through our food!

Our previous wait staff have all been awesome and we tipped them very well, not this guy though.

As a dyed in the wool hobby cook, and aficionado of culinary delights, I must admit that there are few things more aggravating than a hipster wannabee waiter. Especially one putting a grilled cheese sandwich on the table without properly engaging the diner.

Default Re: The Mule OKC

Quote Originally Posted by stratosphere View Post
    I normally have a great time there as well but a couple weeks ago was quite the exception - horrible service from new hipster waiter - to include messing up our order, knocking some of our belongings off of the table, total indifference to us and also trying to rush us out of the door. Is there anything wrong with having a couple of beers with dinner on a friday evening? Yeah i realize the place gets crowded and other people want to come inside but there wasn't anyone waiting in line at this point to be seated. They were clearly trying to get us out of there, which is why they all but refused our drink requests once we had finished our meal, pre-tabbing out.

And seriously hipster wannabe waiter, you should button that flannel shirt so that when you are reaching across our table, the bottom of your shirt isnt dragging through our food!

Our previous wait staff have all been awesome and we tipped them very well, not this guy though.
    Sounds like a new server. I remember my first day on the floor by myself, when I used to wait tables a few years back. I was so nervous. I forgot to put in multiple drink orders throughout the night, I dropped a tray of waters on 4 guests at a table, and something else tragic happened that I can't quite remember. (Probably a good reason).

Waiting tables is hard, especially if you are new to it. And especially on a Friday or Saturday night. Cut the guy some slack, if it's a recurring problem with him he won't last long. Restaurants will never turn down liquor or beer sales on purpose, as it is usually the most profitable thing on the menu with extremely high margins. They want you to sit and order as many drinks as you can responsibly handle. I guarantee he didn't "forget" the drinks to push you out the door. As most restaurants use alcohol sales as one measure of determining a server's productivity. Drink sales are usually tracked, and most restaurants have weekly or monthly contests on who can sell the most alcohol as a percentage of sales. I'm sure the mule uses a similar tactic as it is pretty common in the restaurant industry, so I can guarantee that he didn't forget on purpose, and the restaurant didn't order him to cut you off to move more customers through.

I've been around the block a few times and can usually tell if the wait staff is new or whatever, in this guys case i didn't just get the vibe that he was new, there was certainly something else going on as well. If he were at least somewhat genuine or acted like he cared about giving us decent service it would be easy to overlook everything and give him a nice tip. This guy was just a dong, to put it nicely. The food there is great and the service is usually great as well, so eventually i will go back. Hopefully by then this guy will have found a profession more suited to his talents.

They are now open in Edmond. The menu appears to be a carbon copy of their other location.

TU-TH 11A-10P
    FR-SA 11A-11P
    SU 11A-10P

That's a pretty sharp looking space. Do you know which firm did the design?

Looks to me to be about half as wide as the previous restaurants that were in this space.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishman23 View Post
    Looks to me to be about half as wide as the previous restaurants that were in this space.
    It's the same exact space as the last tenant, The Zu. Not sure about those that came before.

The Zu had a bar that was more centered and u-shaped. The Mule put theirs against the north wall and there seem to be more dining tables than before.

It's a nice space. Stopped in there yesterday.

Wow. Removing that center bar makes the space, at least in the pictures appear a lot narrower and deeper than I remembered. Looks good though. And it does seem like there are more tables.

Blog Entries

It sure helped to lighten it up. Was depressing before.

Looks so much better. When Frenzy opens across the street, this will be the best part of Edmond.

Ate at the Edmond location tonight. They are doing a brisk business, especially in foul weather. Menu is exactly the same as the Plaza location. Soup du jour was excellent. I really hope they stick at this Edmond location.

15. Default Re: The Mule

We ate there last weekend and all of us had a good meal and good service. It was so fun to be sitting in that space in downtown Edmond. I hope there is a lot more development to come!

The Mule is moving within The Plaza.

They will be taking the former Maples spot. They told me it's bigger, has a bigger kitchen and a larger, more shaded patio.

Not sure what will happen to the space they are vacating, but they hope to open in their new spot in time for their 10th anniversary in September. In the meantime, they'll continue to operate at the current spot.

Blog Entries

definitely a better patio situation. what's the difference in inside sf I wonder.

18. Default Re: The Mule

Drove through there a few days ago and couldn't believe that Maple's location was still available.

But I sure wish that Peruvian restaurant that was there had made it.... I miss that food.

Not a fan of these places moving within the district. It’s hard to recapture that spark. The new Empire never felt the same, and I imagine the new Mule won’t feel the same either. You can’t move the memories within the walls to a new space. Memories don’t make money I guess. Maybe I’m just turning into an old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Drove through there a few days ago and couldn't believe that Maple's location was still available.
    Maples was obligated to keep paying rent which was why there was little motivation to find a new tenant.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post

But I sure wish that Peruvian restaurant that was there had made it.... I miss that food.
    Ha, hadn't thought of them in years, agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Not a fan of these places moving within the district. It’s hard to recapture that spark. The new Empire never felt the same, and I imagine the new Mule won’t feel the same either. You can’t move the memories within the walls to a new space. Memories don’t make money I guess. Maybe I’m just turning into an old man.
    Old man!

The new Empire is leagues better than the original, but I understand your sentiment. The early Plaza days were pretty special overall compared to what it is now. Just thinking about Saints back then and the general vibe of the area.

It's still great without a doubt but not in the same weird way it was.

An entire generation of millennials that composed a lot of what was unique about the area are now hitting middle age. Amazing how time flies.

The Blackwelder location is moving correct? I think it is a smart move since that their space is too small

After 10 years in its original location, The Mule has moved to a larger spot just down the road (1800 NW 16th) with a bigger patio as well.

The Mule was one of the anchors that helped turn the Plaza District into a thriving enclave.

The proprietors, Hungry Town Concepts, also operate The Press in the Plaza and another Mule location in downtown Edmond.

Thread Information