Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Mule

Default Re: The Mule OKC

Locks keep honest folk honest. They ain't much good fer anything else.

Sad for the truck folk. Hopefully The Mule has enough locks to keep enough folk honest until I get a chance to give them a try.

Went to The Mule last night and it was great. Started off with the Okie Poutine for the appetizer (fries with thick gravy and Watonga cheese curds). They were excellent. There were four in our party, so we each got something and made it a sample. The Macaroni Pony (mac/cheese and pulled pork) and the Cortez (braised ribs) were incredible. I was already craving another one today. The Portacatoosa (portabella mushroom based) was ok, not my thing though. The Fancy Pants (chicken) was a decent sandwich, but not something I'll order in the future. The tomato soup was very good, though my wife liked it more than I did. As a side, the onion rings were great. The batter was excellent and made it where condiments weren't necessary (normally the only way I'll eat onion rings as I'm not a huge fan of the texture of a cooked onion).

I'd definitely recommend going here.

Went to the place today for lunch. I like the atmosphere of the place, and the service issues may have been resolved because the food came out at a good clip.

As for the food itself, I had the H.A.M. sandwich, with prosciutto, Gruyere cheese, and figs. The sandwich was good, but I don't know if I'd pay $9 for it again. The prosciutto was really drowned out by the rest of the ingredients, especially the cheese and bread. The sandwiches weren't very big, and it didn't seem like a grilled cheese as much as it did a normal sandwich.

It came with a side, and I had onion rings. I have to say, they were amazing. I'd go back just for them.

4. Default Re: The Mule OKC

Is this a place you can go to with your kids?

5. Default Re: The Mule OKC

Yes, you can go with your kids.

6. Default Re: The Mule OKC

Cool.... that's the one thing that prevented me from going yesterday - didn't know if it was ok w/ kids.

Ate there the other night. Decent beer list for a small place, had a great sandwich (caprese), and I'll corroborate that the onion rings are awesome. Reminiscent of "Melt", a grilled cheese bar in Cleveland I used to go to occasionally. Great addition.

8. Default Re: The Mule OKC

I have to break down and go next week for certain! My lunch bunch went two weeks ago. All but one really liked the food. Their only gripe was it literally took over an hour to get their lunch.

9. Default Re: The Mule OKC

They have added a second POS system and really staffed up. Last few times I have been, they have really put food out in a timely fashion.

10. Default Re: The Mule OKC

Took in The Mule today with my lunch group.

Got there at straight up 12pm and all the tables were full with a few people waiting.

The interior is really cool and has a definite look that is casual and hip. I do wish they had two sets of entry doors to help with the rush of cold air that sweeps in as people come and go. The place had a nice rumble to it, but not too loud. Saw a good mix of people. Lots of suits and slacks, several tables of business women, mostly tables of business casual and even two tables with children.

Our wait was only about 12 minutes for a table and maybe another 15 for our food.

Two of us had the Macaroni Pony (at the suggestion of the waiter). I ordered mine with rings and the other had fries. Our third order was for the special of the day which looked to be some sort of roast beef dip type sandwich.

The sandwiches were incredible - toasted fresh bread, served hot with really tender meat.

The rings were definitely my favorite over the fries - but the fries were still good and they ate every last one. I'd have liked some sort of sauce with my rings however.

The portion to price ratio was a bit off for this to be a regular stop for me. I'd like to have seen the sandwich $1-$2 cheaper. The portion size in my opinion was perfect for one person.

I'll definitely be back!

went in the other night just after 6 and the place was packed great very diverse crowd from both an age standpoint 20's -50's and 60's and from a style standpoint ..

I had the standard grilled cheese +bacon with tomato soup and our table split the fries cheese curds ...

both were very good and IMHO priced well .... I will say the tomato soup might not have been great as a stand alone but it was perfect for dipped my sandwich

12. Default Re: The Mule OKC

Went there for a happy hour/Friday meal last week. Great place, fun atmosphere, nice service. I had the Okie Poutine. It was everything I ever wanted -- fries, cheese curds and white pepper gravy. Spicy, but only enough to get my nose a little worked up, and the fries had an interesting blend of spices on them. We decided that it would be a good place for us to go if we were looking to have a meal with our Friday drinks, and spend a couple more bucks than normal.

Also, as mentioned above, a very mixed crowd. One of my co-workers is around 50 and she said it's a regular haunt for her family, but it was enjoyed by the 20-somethings at my table, too.
    Still corrupting young minds

I'm 60 and now I feel more comfortable about giving the place a chance. Plus, I feel a bit guilty about making a jest regarding a place apparently specializing in Upscale Grilled Cheese sandwiches . . . =)

(On the other hand, for most of my life, I have been accused of being "stubborn as a Mule" so . . .)

I love The Mule, and eat there at least once a week because I work in the Plaza District. Let me tell you about the onion rings: the batter they use must be magical, because the rings are as airy and delicate as a fresh Krispy Kreme. They are utterly delightful.
    Also, I just noticed The Classic listed on the appetizers section of the menu - it is just grilled cheese triangles and a small dipping cup of tomato soup. This is my new go-to lunch at just $6.

I took an old friend to the Mule today and we both enjoyed it. As previously mentioned, the onion rings were outstanding. It was a little pricey in my opinion but I have to admit at my age (69) I have lost touch with inflation since I don't eat out every day for lunch. I will go back.
    C. T.

Ate there today and the food was delicious!

I love The Mule. I didn't think grilled cheeses and beer would go well together but they do. Not only are they fancier sandwiches, but they are better prepared (crunchy and gooey) than other adult grilled cheeses in town. The interior has the vibe of a bar in someone's garage, but when it's packed (which it is whenever I'm there), it's a pretty cool scene.

I am going to try it on Friday and try the classic grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup or big ass grilled cheese with bacon, I hope it is good as everybody says!

19. Default Re: The Mule OKC

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan View Post
    I am going to try it on Friday and try the classic grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup or big ass grilled cheese with bacon, I hope it is good as everybody says!
    Take a friend and each order a different sandwich and then split them! Try them both and tell us what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Take a friend and each order a different sandwich and then split them! Try them both and tell us what you think.
    I could do that but if I do not find a friend then I am going to take my Dad with me

Cozy space. Slow, snooty bar service. Really didn't enjoy standing there like I was invisible trying to order a beer while Sergeant Hipster bartender has a leisurely chat with female bar patrons he was trying to impress, while being ignored by Ms. Snarly Face bar chick doing the register count and acting like I had leprosy. I'll just go back to comfy, friendly (and much busier) Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan View Post
    ... then I am going to take my Dad with me
    color me envious

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    color me envious
    Why do you say that?

sitting at a table and chatting with my Pops or my Mama is no longer an option. I miss those chats, some days way more than others.

On a brighter note, my youngest recently moved back to Norman. He took the day off and drove me a couple of counties over and back again one day last week when I had some out of town business. We had a great chat both ways that day. No mac and cheese, but we did share some oh so bad there good fried cheese sticks from a small town c-store.

Thread Information