Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Mule

Default Re: The Mule OKC

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan View Post
    I hope they will revamp the menu and put in dollar signs, I thought the numbers are ratings on the food
    The first time I saw it used, I wasn't sure what it was either. Seems to be some sort of trend. No dollar sign and no cents...

2. Default Re: The Mule OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    There's a local food truck called Grouchy Sam's that does good grilled cheese sandwiches (and variations), too. I think the Mule concept is solid. It's not a full-fledged restaurant. It's not a dive bar. It's a nice blend of the two -- minus the derogatory side of a dive.
    I was really excited when I first heard of Grouchy Sam's, as I love me some gourmet/traditional grilled cheese. I've tried them twice now and neither time was I really impressed. I actually prefer the new Grown-Up Grilled Cheese at Cheddars. I guess I was hoping for some sort of really good bakery fresh bread with 3-4 varieties of really good cheese cut right off the block. But sadly it was more of a grilled sandwich with some cheese on it. Not bad by any means, but not unique enough to seek them out.

... but when they park next to Roxy's, well worth the trip. I have a built in prejudice for food trucks, though.

4. Default Re: The Mule OKC

... but when they park next to Roxy's, well worth the trip. I have a built in prejudice for food trucks, though.
    Funny, that's the only time I've tried them (because I was specifically seeking out Roxy's). The wife and I try to seek out new food trucks as they come on the scene. I've even been known to eat at the lesser known one's around SW 29th (some are the best around).

Will they serve any celebrity varieties on the new menu?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bread_jesus.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	2724

There's a local food truck called Grouchy Sam's that does good grilled cheese sandwiches (and variations), too. I think the Mule concept is solid. It's not a full-fledged restaurant. It's not a dive bar. It's a nice blend of the two -- minus the derogatory side of a dive.
    They recently tweeted that they are ceasing operations due to financial circumstances out of their control... what that really means, I do not know.

Maybe somebody sic'd the local FTPCG (Food Truck Permit Check Gestapo) on their "collective" ass.
    I think PETA and the EPA may have been involved in the background: It was a food cart pulled by a donkey (easy to confuse with a mule). Something about cruelty to animals and leaving too much of an organic hoofprint or whatever.

Do you suppose it had something to do with putting the imprint of a DarwinFish on the grilled cheese, calling it a Mr.Paul'sFishSandwich, and not paying enough taxes? Nah . . . That would be too weird.

Maybe it was the Teamsters Union . . . Although one mule/donkey/ass isn't technically a team.
    (or is it . . . =)

The only thing we know for sure is that Grouchy Sam is probably a lot grouchier than before.
    (i just hope he doesn't re-brand himself as Sneezy Sam . . .)

I think that all of this is a testament to the wisdom of not being overly "ambitious" with the menu.
    And/Nor being stubborn as a . . . Mule.

Edited to Add:
    Recently spotted UPO (Unidentified Pedaling Object) on a recent trip up 'Nord, in the vicinity of an Unnamed Major League City that has nothing to do with the Twins or the Vikings.
    All the Pedal Pub serves is . . . beer.
    The market for "Weight Loss Grilled Cheese Sandwich Mobiles" remains untapped. So to speak.

Edited2Add Also:
    I love OKC and all of the entrepraneurs (sp)--including the visionaries involved with "The Mule"--who have invested in good faith, with good food for good folk and have, in the process of so doing turned OKC from the armpit of the Midwest into an honestly excellent place to live.
    Bless each and every one of you. No kidding. No joke. No snark.

Actually, the pedal pub doesn't serve beer for legal reasons. You simply pedal to pubs on it. At least in Chicago that's the case. It looks like a lot of fun....er work.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Actually, the pedal pub doesn't serve beer for legal reasons. You simply pedal to pubs on it. At least in Chicago that's the case. It looks like a lot of fun....er work.
    They have drinks on the ones in Austin and Denver.

Obviously Chicago isn't Minneapolis (spec.ref: up toward NordEast--the reconverted/salvaged "slums"). . . =)

I'm thinkin' . . .
    MickMobile! (in honour of our mayor's personal crusade): You want ChillyCheezFryz you gotta work for 'em. For fun. =)

(thanks betts . . . really. for wadin' thru the b.s. n. extractin' a pearl o' wisdom. no kiddin' . . .)

by the way . . . is "for legal reasons" an oxymoron or a fairytale?

I think the culinary concept of The Mule is a good thing.
    And how easy was that? =) [Sorry . . . The Banshee of HGTV . . . y' understand . . .rightly... i hope . . .=)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    So this is our new MAPS 3 Streetcars? Great idea. Slap some rail wheels on that and you solve the Mayor's obesity initiative. Have the various food truck folks sponsor/operate the cars and maybe they could at least cover the cost for maint/operations? LOVE IT!

Saw the pedal tavern (Milwaukee Pedal Tavern - Home - Milwaukee, Wisconsin) in Milwaukee last weekend. Thought it was the best thing ever! It looked like they were drinking while riding, but the website says due to Wisconsin laws (nice to know another state has archaic liquor laws!) prohibits them from serving alcohol. It is more of a pub crawl transportation vehicle. Seemed pricey, but a heck of a lot of fun!

13. Default Re: The Mule OKC

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    They recently tweeted that they are ceasing operations due to financial circumstances out of their control... what that really means, I do not know.
    From their FB page....

Tomorrow will mark the end of a good run. thank you one and all. Recent setbacks have forced me to reconcile my goals, and to be certain, I'm not willing to borrow money to keep operations going.
    Someone stole my generators yesterday, and replacing them is just not in the cash budget.
    We'll be doing our final event tomorrow at Francis Tuttle's 30th anniversary celebration. If nothing else come meet Chef Marc Dunham and tour their top notch culinary training facility.
    And yeh, come get fed.
    Thanks!
    Steven aka Grouchy Sam.

(anybody want to by a concession trailer?)

Sheesh

Why would they steal generators for?

16. Default Re: The Mule OKC

Why would they steal generators for?
    Seriously? People will steal anything. Just last week some guy stole one security camera off the garage of No Boundaries Int'l's HOPE house on S. Robinson. He risked a felony and jail over an item he only got $20 for. Fortunately I was able to get it back for them so they wouldn't have to pay over $200 replacing it.

Generators are prime targets for thieves because their resale is high (relatively) and most have handles and wheels on them, making them easy to steal.

The real question I'd have is why were the generators accessible to thieves (as in geographic location and how the generators themselves were mounted).

Really too bad though. Even though they were not my food truck of choice, they were friendly people and were very active with their truck and served a product many people liked.

17. Default Re: The Mule OKC

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    The real question I'd have is why were the generators accessible to thieves (as in geographic location and how the generators themselves were mounted).
    Can't really park a truck this size in most garages and if they don't have the financial resources to replace the generators I doubt they could afford a big enough building to park inside.

Last year someone broke into Smokey's BBQ & Diner's locked smoker and stole all the meat. The following week someone climbed up on the roof at that location (23rd & Portland) and stole all the copper out of every HVAC unit on the roof.

I've also seen copper thieves cut through bars to get to HVAC units on the backsides of office buildings.

Securing your property against a motivated thief is difficult.

Seriously? People will steal anything. Just last week some guy stole one security camera off the garage of No Boundaries Int'l's HOPE house on S. Robinson. He risked a felony and jail over an item he only got $20 for. Fortunately I was able to get it back for them so they wouldn't have to pay over $200 replacing it.

Generators are prime targets for thieves because their resale is high (relatively) and most have handles and wheels on them, making them easy to steal.

Really too bad though. Even though they were not my food truck of choice, they were friendly people and were very active with their truck and served a product many people liked.
    Anything? So you think robbers would steal a used condom or a used tampon?

19. Default Re: The Mule OKC

What are you 12 years old?

20. Default Re: The Mule OKC

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Can't really park a truck this size in most garages and if they don't have the financial resources to replace the generators I doubt they could afford a big enough building to park inside.

Last year someone broke into Smokey's BBQ & Diner's locked smoker and stole all the meat. The following week someone climbed up on the roof at that location (23rd & Portland) and stole all the copper out of every HVAC unit on the roof.

I've also seen copper thieves cut through bars to get to HVAC units on the backsides of office buildings.

Securing your property against a motivated thief is difficult.
    True and I don't know the circumstances. But, if you're financial viability is so fragile that the loss of two small generators will shut the whole operation down, I think I'd find a way to better secure my investment. And, maybe they did. Its certainly not their fault someone else stole the stuff they worked hard for. And, a determined scum bag is hard to thwart. Hopefully they had the serial numbers and reported them. Though, I doubt they'd take them to a pawn shop as its simply too easy to unload generators other ways with no paper trail. The food truck business is not an easy one and maybe it simply just wasn't worth continuing to pump money and time into something with such a small return.

Is it technically possible to "steal" something that has been discarded?
    This question is more difficult than it may appear on the surface . . .

22. Default Re: The Mule OKC

And, a determined scum bag is hard to thwart. Hopefully they had the serial numbers and reported them.
    And we all know what happens when you shoot one of them. So that's not a viable option.

23. Default Re: The Mule OKC

Actually, I see people arrested for 'possession of a lost or stolen' item all the time. Usually a credit card, but have seen other more bizarre items.

And we've gone WAY off topic.

The wife and I are planning to visit The mule this weekend. Looking forward to it.

24. Default Re: The Mule OKC

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    And we all know what happens when you shoot one of them. So that's not a viable option.
    Yep we do, 99% of the time it is ruled justified and you go about your business. People cling to the Ersland case and ignore the NUMEROUS instances where citizens shoot at and/or kill intruders and they never face any charges at all (rightly so).

What are you 12 years old?
    I am 8 years old

Thread Information