Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edmond 66 Park Softball Complex

Default Edmond 66 Park Softball Complex

I'm not a big softball fan, but I posted this anyways for anyone who is. Here's a link from the city: Edmond, OK - Official Website

Default Re: New Softball Complex

Is this in addition to the existing one on Midwest Blvd. or a replacement for it? Played a lot of games at the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Is this in addition to the existing one on Midwest Blvd. or a replacement for it? Played a lot of games at the old one.
    I believe it's new one in addition. Edmond is really getting going on new sports complexes with this and the new indoor tennis courts and soccer fields on Covell and I-35. oh and if memory serves right, they're going to renovate the soccer fields on Bryant, near Kelly and next to the fire station.

''The rain this summer has slowed down progress at phase 1 of Edmond 66 Park. As of August 20, infield playing surface, irrigation and sod installation is being completed. The construction of phase one will be completed in September. A natural turf surface and playground will be installed by the end of the year. A March ribbon cutting is planned with play to begin in April''

Edmond, OK - Official Website - September 2013 - Update

''City delays opening of new softball complex
    James Coburn
    The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — City staff and the leadership of the Edmond Softball Association have agreed to delay the opening of the new Edmond Softball Complex until spring, said Larry Stevens, city manager.

“It will allow time for the sod to get established, and also it will allow us to get the lights and the scoreboard installed as well,” Stevens said in an update to the City Council this week. “We anticipate a March dedication or grand opening of this facility.”

- See more at: City delays opening of new softball complex » Local News » The Edmond Sun

''New Edmond softball complex nears home plate
    Published: September 26, 2013 by Diana Baldwin

City officials and members of the Edmond Adult Softball Association, which will operate the complex, will hold a grand opening in March at the Edmond 66 Park Softball Complex.
    Contractors are nearly finished with the $5.2 million project, but officials want to wait until spring to give the sod a chance to establish in the outfield. They also need to have lights and a scoreboard installed and expect to go out for bids soon.
    The four-field softball complex is in Edmond’s new community park on the northeast corner of Post Road and State Highway 66. The concessions and restroom will have a Route 66 theme''

- New Edmond softball complex nears home plate | News OK

Here is the latest update from the city: Latest Update
    The construction of phase one is nearly complete. The final touches of asphalt and landscaping are being finalized. A natural turf surface and playground will be installed by the end of the year. A March ribbon cutting is planned with play to begin in April. - Edmond, OK - Official Website - Edmond 66 Park

Here is the master plan:

estimated 270 days and its been around 450 days. feels like this thing will never open! i have been playing out in the Edmond Adult Softball League for 7 years. They have talked about this park since i was first playing there. Cant wait until its finally open.

From the city's website:

Latest Update
    The construction of phase one is nearly complete. The final touches with field lighting, scoreboards and playground surface are being finalized. Play will start this spring during daylight hours. We are hoping field lights can be installed this late spring. A ribbon cutting will be planned late spring/early summer.

- Edmond, OK - Official Website - Edmond 66 Park

thanks for the update! Played in a tournament in edmond this weekend that was suppose to be at the new park. they had to move fields for obvious reasons. but it drew a good group of teams. there were team teams from out of state that came to play. those players actually get paid money to pay softball. they get flown around the country playing tournaments and get all expenses paid for and a salary on top of it. incredible stuff. there is a market for it.

Part of a new bond package

four additional fields for Edmond 66 Park

City eyes $143M in new projects » Local News » The Edmond Sun

another delay just for the heck of it

Delays continue on softball complex » Local News » The Edmond Sun

broken leg caused a guy to not file papers lol
    Last edited by gurantula35; 06-18-2014 at 09:57 PM. Reason: forgot to post link

is 6 mil for a softball venu tht services 1500 players a normal thing for cities? seems like its a waste of tax money that could be used on something else.

Quote Originally Posted by gurantula35 View Post
    is 6 mil for a softball venu tht services 1500 players a normal thing for cities? seems like its a waste of tax money that could be used on something else.
    Yeah... to be world class, you have to spend some money. I like this investment, what I don't is taking 2 years to build a softball complex.

As long as the other Edmond complex has been open it has more than paid for itself as league fees I'm sure have gone up since I moved away in the 2003 season. There is no reason not to think this one will perform as well if not better especially with large tournaments and those fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yeah... to be world class, you have to spend some money. I like this investment, what I don't is taking 2 years to build a softball complex.
    I'm sure this will be a fantastic complex but I think world class is not an appropriate description. Not everything has to be world class to be great. It's a softball complex, not a stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM2 View Post
    I'm sure this will be a fantastic complex but I think world class is not an appropriate description. Not everything has to be world class to be great. It's a softball complex, not a stadium.
    fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    fair enough
    Sorry if that came across dickish, wasn't my intent.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM2 View Post
    Sorry if that came across dickish, wasn't my intent.
    oh not at all man. No worries!!!

I completely understand what you're saying. World class really didn't fit this and I honestly thought for a second about that right after I posted it

Update from the Edmond Exchange by Diana Baldwin

First pitch is near

at softball complex

Lighting at the new softball complex at Edmond 66 Park has been installed and the directional aiming is scheduled for Monday, City Manager Larry Stevens said. Installation of the scoreboard also is scheduled for next week. The replacement of the potable water well also is expected to start. When the well is installed and connected to the concession building, the complex will be ready to open for the fall season. Dedication of the playground equipment, donated by the Edmond Rotary Club, will be at noon Wednesday. A synthetic sports turf will be placed under the playground for a softer landing area from. “We are getting close to getting up and running and we all will be happy,” Stevens said.

- Edmond Exchange for Aug. 15 | News OK

looks like that link isnt working anymore?

Thread Information