Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: WSKY Lounge

Default Re: WSKY Lounge to Deep Deuce

Jarrod, certainly it's not a real problem...OKC will have some growing pains as we learn that some disadvantages come with nicer things...Packard, Ludivine, and WSKY are far and away the nicest bars OKC has ever seen...people will learn patience over time.

2. Default Re: WSKY Lounge to Deep Deuce

Great news! I think a lot of places would be pleasantly surprised if they tried Sundays. Their competition is slim. If they can make the world aware that they are open, they will likely be rewarded by a loyal following.

Sundays are a big night for service industry folks too. It's often the START of THEIR weekend. Reach out to service industry peeps and not only will they become Sunday regulars, they are in a position to steer other customers to your place on nights when they work.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    PSA: WSKY is open on Sundays now. It was nice to see a steady stream of people come in to get out of the cold, have a smoke and a hot drink. I have always wished more places were successful enough during the week to justify staying open on what is usually the slowest day, Sunday. I suspect with most everything else being closed on Sunday, especially at this time of the night, they will continue to see more and more people coming by on Sunday evenings.
    That is HUGE. Glad to see places here are finally taking a flyer on being open on (gasp) Sunday. Still impressive the number places in the core that are closed, but this is great to see for sure. No doubt they'll do great business.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    That is HUGE. Glad to see places here are finally taking a flyer on being open on (gasp) Sunday. Still impressive the number places in the core that are closed, but this is great to see for sure. No doubt they'll do great business.
    OKC has never been a big sunday funday city. Its beginning to change a little bit and Im sure we will see that downtown as more apts are built and younger people move in. But even at our sports bars during the NFL season it will hardly be that full on Sunday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    PSA: WSKY is open on Sundays now. It was nice to see a steady stream of people come in to get out of the cold, have a smoke and a hot drink. I have always wished more places were successful enough during the week to justify staying open on what is usually the slowest day, Sunday. I suspect with most everything else being closed on Sunday, especially at this time of the night, they will continue to see more and more people coming by on Sunday evenings.
    Every time I see this thread pop up, I feel worse not having been to WSKY yet; I live a half a block away.

Having been away for so long, it's shocking to me how many places are closed or nearly dead on Sundays in OKC.

I happened to be there in August for my birthday which fell on a Sunday. Went down to the Plaza District in the afternoon, nothing was open. Kamp's on 10th was closed, so was Kitchen no. 324. Ended up going to the Wedge in DD, which is great, but I was hoping to try something new.

Very different than a lot of other cities, that's for sure. I can tell you here in Cali Sunday afternoons and evenings are booming at most places.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    OKC has never been a big sunday funday city. Its beginning to change a little bit and Im sure we will see that downtown as more apts are built and younger people move in. But even at our sports bars during the NFL season it will hardly be that full on Sunday afternoon.
    BWW on NW Expressway gets pretty lively (Go Lions!), so that's one place at least I've been able to enjoy on a Sunday. Hoping Urban Johnnie will do the trick for DD. I swear I heard on the radio that they'll carry all of the major sports packages (I assume that means Sunday ticket?). If so, my Megatron jersey and I are about to become regulars.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    BWW on NW Expressway gets pretty lively (Go Lions!), so that's one place at least I've been able to enjoy on a Sunday. Hoping Urban Johnnie will do the trick for DD. I swear I heard on the radio that they'll carry all of the major sports packages (I assume that means Sunday ticket?). If so, my Megatron jersey and I are about to become regulars.
    I feel sorry for you since you are a fan of a terrible franchise even worse than the horrible Browns, my condolences but nice win against the Packers yesterday though

Quote Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
    I feel sorry for you since you are a fan of a terrible franchise even worse than the horrible Browns, my condolences but nice win against the Packers yesterday though
    You must have a short memory: Detroit Lions | Week 6

Default Re: WSKY Lounge

A quick update on everything. Our building plans for 217/221 N Central have been approved by the city and building permits should be issued this week. The wine store will not be going back in and we will be expanding into the entire space.

The expansion will be called Slaughter's Hall at WSKY Lounge and will be used for catering and events during the week.

On Friday's and Saturday's, we will open the space up as a SMOKE-FREE cocktail bar. After being open 5 months, we have listened to our customers and locals and decided that a smoke-free area is needed. We are at capacity early on both of these days and this will allow us to not only cater to the non smokers, it will also give us overflow for customers waiting to enter WSKY.

Jarrod - Good to see the change, and I wish you the best of luck. I am one of the guys who decided not to stay after entering and getting a head of smoke, despite the filters & smoke eaters.

I'm not a cigar smoker, but there has to be a way for them to enjoy a smoke in a nice environment that can also turn a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by JarrodH View Post
    A quick update on everything. Our building plans for 217/221 N Central have been approved by the city and building permits should be issued this week. The wine store will not be going back in and we will be expanding into the entire space.

The expansion will be called Slaughter's Hall at WSKY Lounge and will be used for catering and events during the week.

On Friday's and Saturday's, we will open the space up as a SMOKE-FREE cocktail bar. After being open 5 months, we have listened to our customers and locals and decided that a smoke-free area is needed. We are at capacity early on both of these days and this will allow us to not only cater to the non smokers, it will also give us overflow for customers waiting to enter WSKY.
    Woo hoo on the non-smoking section!!

I love your establishment but am one of those people that simply can't tolerate smoke, even though WSKY is well ventilated.

You guys are doing an awesome job and are an asset to OKC.

13. Default Re: WSKY Lounge

Glad you're able to provide a separate non-smoking area without sullying/compromising a really great cigar bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Burgess View Post
    I just wanted to give a shout to this place kind of one last time publicly.

According to Foursquare, I've been to WSKY almost 60 times. It's probably even more than that because I do forget to check-in at times. I can honestly say, in over 60 visits I never once felt compelled to leave or felt like I wasn't getting fantastic service -- no lie. They don't just offer the best cocktails in town, but they give you the some of the best service in the city while they are at it. Everyone Jarrod hires just seems to be a "keeper". The kind of people you can't help but want to get to know and call a friend.

I sort of wished we recognized businesses like this more often officially as a city because I think WSKY is a truly award-deserving establishment.

To keep from sounding too much like a sales pitch, I'll close with this last sentiment... Thanks Jarrod, Jeff, Ruth, Donny, Mike, James, Ariana, Clayton, Ryan, Danni, Scotty, and more for making each one of these visits totally worthy every dollar.
    I've only been there twice, I need to get there more often, considering it's 100 yards away. Crap.

Here are the site plans for the WSKY Annex.

Didn't realize the two spaces will not even be directly connected:

The separation should be good for keeping the smoke out. It might've been intended.

17. Default Re: WSKY Lounge

Fine with me.

This will be a completely separate bar. Due to some issues with the ABLE commission and city regarding our original intentions, We have decided to file for a separate ABLE license, therefore not connecting the two spaces.

The new bar will be called Slaughter's Hall. This will be a smoke free craft cocktail bar that will focus on rotating cocktail menus and beer taps on a regular basis.

https://www.facebook.com/Slaughtershall

Great! When do you estimate opening?

20. Default Re: WSKY Lounge

Thrilled to hear about the smoke free section. I hope you expand the hours to other days - love the place - just have a hard time with the smoke.

JarrodH, are you applying for an ABC-3 license for Slaughter's Hall? I hope that the Calvary Church proximity isn't an issue, even though it's a law firm now...

It will not be an issue. We had to rezone for WSKY to ABC-3 and had no problems. The application has been submitted, now we just have to go through the proper channels to get it done. We should open early June.

A little shaky in the last week or so. I really enjoy the hand-crafted cocktails, but they seem to have gotten really complicated. The majority of the cocktails had at least a couple of unrecognizable ingredients, which makes it a little difficult to anticipate the taste profile of the drink. When we ordered a couple, the barkeeps had to go to a packet of recipes to figure out how to make the drinks. Understandable, given the number of cocktails and ingredients, but I preferred my prior experiences when the bartenders knew the menu extensively. Just constructive criticism - certainly won't prevent me from going back.

My friend told me that while he was at WSKY the other night some staff there said business isn't as good as it needs to be. Anyone know if there's any truth to that? I haven't been in a while, but I wanted to at least make a push for my friends to go more often if so. We can't lose this place. I'm gonna assume it's not true until someone says otherwise.

25. Default Re: WSKY Lounge

Maybe you should ask the owner, who is a regular poster here.

Thread Information