Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Vast

Default Re: Vast

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Maybe at Macaroni Grill...

Many guests are more likely to have a bad experience if they feel unnecessarily rushed than if things take longer than expected. Some tables are the same way. The only disastrous thing for a good server is misreading a guest.
    Nope, at many restaurants. You do not want your guests sitting there twiddling their thumbs any longer than necessary. The longer they are bored, the more nervous and antsy they get. The more antsy they get, the more likely they are to find something to complain about.

If a table is ordering drinks, it's not a bad idea to slow things down, one because they will continue to run up their drink tab the longer they are sitting, and two the drinks keep them occupied. If a table is not drinking or is done drinking, their dinner is over, and they are waiting up to 10 minutes for dessert....they will become antsy.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Nope, at many restaurants. You do not want your guests sitting there twiddling their thumbs any longer than necessary. The longer they are bored, the more nervous and antsy they get. The more antsy they get, the more likely they are to find something to complain about.

If a table is ordering drinks, it's not a bad idea to slow things down, one because they will continue to run up their drink tab the longer they are sitting, and two the drinks keep them occupied. If a table is not drinking or is done drinking, their dinner is over, and they are waiting up to 10 minutes for dessert....they will become antsy.
    You missed the point of the post.

3. Default Re: Vast

I hate being rushed and I hate sitting there for 10 mins waiting for a server to realize I wanna leave.

The idea that a restaurant can't handle a customer ordering appetizers while they're still looking over the menu for a main is pretty ridiculous to me.

It'd be one thing if it was dessert and they bake it right then and there. There it'd make some sense, and you'd expect the wait staff to explain to the customer. But I've never been in a restaurant, fine or otherwise, that's demanded customers order appetizers with the main course.

But, admittedly, there does seem to be a trend in some of the snootier places for restaurants to refuse to make any reasonable accommodations for customers, especially if the chefs have made some sort of name for themselves. It's an idiotic trend of course, but it does seem to be a trend.

There's a major difference between demanding that a guest order any portion of the meal at a certain time and recommending them do so, though it would seem that some people feel that a suggestion to go another direction is pushy, when indeed it is not. It is appropriate for a server to inform the guest that they would be best served to order something at a certain time. It is also appropriate for a server to take an order and not turn it in until the timing is going to work exactly as the server sees as necessary and proper to give the guest the proper experience.

The real point is that too many people in this thread are making far too many generalizations about what should or shouldn't be, and not allowing for/understanding that it depends on far more factors than anybody in this discussion seems to realize. For example: Everyone in these posts is talking like servers have one table to focus on and time correctly at any given point in the night.

Try again.

Well, perhaps this requirement to order appetizers with the main courses is a trend I've missed while dining at some of the finest rated restaurants in the United States, particularly NYC, Mexico, and throughout continental Europe. It was my first time to experience this charming development.

Within the last year, I dined at two of Jose Andres' most celebrated restaurants, and I certainly didn't experience anything close to this demand. In fact, the "small plates" phenomenon celebrates savoring a meal through multiple courses. Dining in such an establishment is costly, but worth it, because food is savored along with the varied wine selections.

On my prior visit, as stated, Vast had an outstanding sommelier, but he has since left them. The atmosphere had changed remarkably since that visit.

I must say, that were I dining at one of Andres', Keith McNally's, or Jean Georges' restaurants, I would be more willing to accept "rules," but the meal at Vast was nowhere near that kind of dining experience, so I don't understand why I should joyously accept this brusque style.

Also, I made my request for reservations three months in advance, and I was anticipating a special dining experience, not a rushed meal. And regarding the "rushing," I would be more understanding if there were in fact a lot of people waiting for tables, but there were numerous empty tables on the Friday night we dined there.

The atmosphere was certainly not brimming with excitement.

For those of you who enjoy being rushed to order everything at once after placing an initial drink order, Vast is definitely going to be your place! Enjoy!

Blog Entries

Must be a schitzophrenic place...these descriptions don't match any of my experience at vast. Service has been fine. Food was good (not great). And they didn't make me order everything at once. It wasn't an "exciting" atmosphere, but it isn't really a club.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    There's a major difference between demanding that a guest order any portion of the meal at a certain time and recommending them do so, though it would seem that some people feel that a suggestion to go another direction is pushy, when indeed it is not. It is appropriate for a server to inform the guest that they would be best served to order something at a certain time. It is also appropriate for a server to take an order and not turn it in until the timing is going to work exactly as the server sees as necessary and proper to give the guest the proper experience.

The real point is that too many people in this thread are making far too many generalizations about what should or shouldn't be, and not allowing for/understanding that it depends on far more factors than anybody in this discussion seems to realize. For example: Everyone in these posts is talking like servers have one table to focus on and time correctly at any given point in the night.
    I think the point is that there seem to be a number of people want to play apologist and turn any complaint into a personal crusade with this place, without seeming to accept that no one is going to have an identical experience. At a high end restaurant, you don't expect servers to be unaccommodating. If someone feels they were, it benefits no one to have a half-dozen white knights to come out the woodwork and talk down to the person who had issues as though it were all their fault and they just don't understand how this new fangled dining thing works.

Ahhh, the spring greenery!

Has anyone had the lunch buffet at vast (daily table?) ? what's it like as far as price, food variety?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    We don't have much fine dining in Oklahoma City and it's up to the operators at Vast and the like to raise the bar, not lower it to the level people have become accustomed.
    I think this is where my problem with Vast and it's food is. I have been to many fine restaurants in places like San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Boston, and Miami (haven't been to LA very much)... and while i thought the food was good (and by good i mean it tasted fine), it was not good for the price. Having been to restaurants of a similar price range (and some much greater), i expected a lot more from the food, and not in quantity, but in quality. I came away feeling as though i could have gone elsewhere in OKC and gotten food just as good for much less in price, and i didn't have that feeling going to those other restaurants in other cities. I felt that it wasn't up to par with what is out there around the country, and i wanted Vast to raise the bar, but sadly, i think they just raised their prices rather than the bar.

Perhaps it is best to just consider the lunch buffet as a 12.00 buffet with an 8.00 cover charge tacked on for providing the view.

I'm reminded a bit of the old Cedarvale Gardens down near Davis. Free garden admission with every meal, or a 3ish admission charge for non-diners. Pretty much every entree on the menu struck me as being 3-4 higher than comparable prices elsewhere. But, the food was better than merely passable, the grounds were indeed lovely, and the drive to and from, provided you chose your dining companions well, was enjoyable conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    Has anyone had the lunch buffet at vast (daily table?) ? what's it like as far as price, food variety?
    It was $18 or so if I remember correctly plus the cost of a beverage. I went shortly after it opened. Pricing may be different now. With 2 sodas tax and 20% tip it was around $50 for two people out the door for lunch.

Food quality was ok, Most dishes were on par with Golden Corral, some were better, however we went for the view, not the food.

Decent variety, maybe 10 dishes if I remember right.

Next time family or friends are in town, this would be at the top of the list for a weekday lunch spot.

Now THAT is what I would call a "fair and unbiased" review of this special dining location.
    Thank you Sir (or Madam).

"We went for the view, not the food." Excellent.

I can't believe you--KevinP--mentioned Cedarvale Trout Restaurant/Gardens!!!!

I didn't think ANYONE else remembered that place. I went there only one time. On the way to a memorable weekend at Lake Texoma. It was a fabulous dining experience. The setting, the ambiance, the walk through the garden part of the place. All awe inspiring. But the best part of all was the fact that the Trout served was BETTER than that served at some "fancy" restaurant in Estes Park, CO or prepared by my mom at home on account of she was married to The Unknown World's Champion Trout Fisherman in Colorado (c. 1954--1973) =)

It IS possible to achieve "perfect harmony" in the culinary universe.
    Frankly, until you mentioned the place I was beginning to believe it only actually existed in my fading imagination. =)

They actually had goats on the side of the cliff at Cedarvale....we went once too and it was great.

Posted to the Vast FB page after the recent storms:

Not a post in this thread in over four months. Interesting.

I will probably go check out Vast at some point just, not anytime in the near future. It sounds like they need a little more time to get their act together. If I am going to drop a $100 or more on a meal, I want it to be the best meal, best service and best experience of my life. Just simply because to I work hard to earn every dollar I make and I hate throwing good money away on bad products and services.

Quote Originally Posted by MWCGuy View Post
    I will probably go check out Vast at some point just, not anytime in the near future. It sounds like they need a little more time to get their act together. If I am going to drop a $100 or more on a meal, I want it to be the best meal, best service and best experience of my life. Just simply because to I work hard to earn every dollar I make and I hate throwing good money away on bad products and services.
    I think I might have posted this before, but seriously I need to chime in and champion the Vast lunch buffet. Very ery good, large selection of items. Two or three entrees plus a carving station. A wonderful salad bar complete with an array of (like over a dozen) fancy cheeses. And at least 20 different deserts, mostly in the form of tartlet-size thingies. All this at $19, including tea or soda.

Still pricey, but far and away better than similar buffets at the Skirvin or the Petroleum Club.

$19 is not bad considering you would probably pay $10-$15 at most sit down casual restaurants for lunch. I may have to check that out.

In may I referred to it as a 12.00 buffer with an 8.00 cover for the view. Given DrTaco's description, I guess I ought to amend to a 15.00 buffet with a 3.00 cover for the view. Entirely reasonable on a clear day.

As per Steve, Devon is bringing Kurt Fleischfresser to take over at Vast. This certainly is a move in the right direction.

Changes at the Colcord Hotel, Flint and Vast | News OK

Excellent news.

Cannot happen soon enough!!!

Thread Information