Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Vast

Default Re: Vast

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Couple of pictures posted showed the Buffet, but don't see it mentioned on their website...anyone know the cost, hours of operation etc?

Lunch Menu | VAST | Globally Inspired American Cuisine Oklahoma City, OK
    The buffet is $18, including a drink but not tip. It's lunch only - I think 11:00 until 2:00. I've had it twice, and I feel it's about the right price. The Skirvin buffet is $14, and the one at Vast is about the same quality but with a much better view.

The bar:

Pic from the Vast facebook page.

Note the array of overhead lasers -- ready to zap any unruly patrons at the first hint of trouble.

From what I've been hearing, it sounds like things are starting to come together a bit now. Still a mixed bag of reviews, but instead of being almost entirely bad, there have been some very good reviews.

Had school event there a few months back in one of the group rooms. Awful food, super slow service at the 2 bars, overpriced, staff did not seem happy to be there. Great view, everything else mediocre.

5. Default Re: Vast

I'd advise giving it another chance at some point.... a lot of that staff has either been replaced or "straightened out"

I've had friends that have been around NYE and now I'm fixing to go on Saturday evening for a birthday dinner. I figured if there were any kinks, that they'd be worked out by now. Will let you know on Monday!

Blog Entries

My sister, who has lived in NYC (works in Manhattan, lives in Brooklyn) for 14 years, was here in December and I took her to Vast for drinks at the bar. Actually, we sat at the windows overlooking OKC. She absolutely loved it.

That's probably because she could actually see ground and not other highrises as compared to NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    That's probably because she could actually see ground and not other highrises as compared to NYC.
    When I had dinner at the Windows on the World at the top of the World Trade Center, I could see the ground easily. Sadly nobody has that opportunity any longer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    That is exactly what she said. Followed by "You just can't get this in NYC".

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    That is exactly what she said. Followed by "You just can't get this in NYC".
    Damn, I'm good, lol.

Went for birthday dinner last night. Place is absolutely a whole other world! Jesus, it was awesome. Sat at the bar first and then went over to the window to look straight down. Talk about a lil woosy. My buddy that came with went over to the window and wouldn't go any closer than 3 feet from the edge, lol.

I don't know what people expect out of the food but I thought it was amazing. Definitely worth the price. I had the ribeye and I don't know what the white cream was on the plate that surrounded the artichoke leaves but lets just say, thinking about it now makes my mouth water! I asked my dad jokingly after dinner if we flew to Chicago to eat dinner.

It was just before sunset when we went in and it was dark when we left. I wanted to take a pic of my city at night but I didn't get the chance. Did get plenty of daytime pics. Will post them later because I'm still recuperating from a night out!

13. Default Re: Vast

Went to Vast last month for the third time. It continues to improve. The food is getting much better although I worry it's a bit too "continental" for what what we traditionally get here in OKC. I would say the food this last time was great - not the best I've had but worth the price and the evening was very nice. The service was excellent. We asked for and got the far SE corner table that has glass on two sides - what an awesome place to have dinner. It's like you are floating out on the edge of the building. I'll go back. They do have spots most nights now, so don't think you can't get a reservation. The bar is awesome by the way. Great view, great drinks and a nice wine selection.

I would like to be as positive as possible, so I'll say this: the salad and the views are excellent.

On the other hand:

1. Prissy, uptight, demanding service. They actually DEMANDED that we place all of our orders at once (starters, salads, main courses) "to serve us better."

2. The maitre 'd was extremely rude.

3. While the meat dishes were decently prepared, the sides were atrocious and served cold.

4. The atmosphere was completely dead; you could barely hear the bad elevator music above the lifeless din of the blue-haired blue bloods' conversation.

It was an embarrassing experience (we hosted another couple). I've been sitting on this review awhile, not sure if I would post it, because I wish Vast well. But Vast aspires to "world class" standards and it doesn't even rise above OKC's humble fine dining standards.

Right now it's doomed to be a novelty restaurant that you do once and never do again -- for the view only. The ambiance sucks; devoid of energy.

Wow ^^^^ None of that happened this past Saturday for me. Its a two way street ya know. Id have to say the only bad thing was that after we got our entrees that our server never came out once to ask how everything was. A gent in a suit did, so that was good at least.

Have been several times and it gets better each and every time

17. Default Re: Vast

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I would like to be as positive as possible, so I'll say this: the salad and the views are excellent.

On the other hand:

1. Prissy, uptight, demanding service. They actually DEMANDED that we place all of our orders at once (starters, salads, main courses) "to serve us better."

3. While the meat dishes were decently prepared, the sides were atrocious and served cold.

4. The atmosphere was completely dead; you could barely hear the bad elevator music above the lifeless din of the blue-haired blue bloods' conversation.

It was an embarrassing experience (we hosted another couple). I've been sitting on this review awhile, not sure if I would post it, because I wish Vast well. But Vast aspires to "world class" standards and it doesn't even rise above OKC's humble fine dining standards.

Right now it's doomed to be a novelty restaurant that you do once and never do again -- for the view only. The ambiance sucks; devoid of energy.
    How long ago was your visit?

On the other hand:

Sorry, but if you were being as "positive as possible" you would have said something along the lines of "we went on an off night" instead of assuming that the restaurant is "doomed to be a novelty restaurant that you do once and never do again".

On the other hand:

The spouse and I went on Friday night, January 11. Everything you just described as negative was the complete opposite. We had the NE corner, excellent views, and service from 3 or 4 different waiters. They waited on us hand and foot, and the scallops were the best I'd ever had. What gets me is that lately everyone has said it's getting better ???? It was mostly great as far as we were concerned, they could have had larger side portions, but maybe they are trying to tell us something, eh.

We can't wait to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    How long ago was your visit?
    Within the last three weeks, on a weekend night.

It wasn't just me. The other couple we dined with were laughing at how bad the service was. Also, quality service and ambiance are essential elements. Vast was laughable.

Regarding the cuisine, there were some interesting concepts there, and some of it was well executed, but there's no excuse for serving cold food. It should be noted that when I pointed out the cold side, the waiter made a sneering comment when he brought out the replacement, WHICH WAS ALSO COLD.

On a previous visit for drinks in the bar and small plates, we were delighted by some of the staff, including a sommelier who has sadly left the restaurant, and another staff member, who was friendly and talkative to my wife and me.

It's almost as if this "straightening up" that occurred was extremely ill conceived and amounted to "lose all personality and do not communicate with the guests."

Whatever they're trying to do, it isn't working.

For those of you who have experienced world-class dining in cities other than OKC, suffice to say this place doesn't come close. Clueless.

Question: have you ever eaten in a "fine dining" restaurant that demands you to place your order for starters and appetizers at the same time you place your orders for mains? We thought it was some kind of joke, but realized they were serious. I cannot imagine in a million years wasting another minute of my life worrying about getting a reservation to that amateur hour.

By the way, I knew several people would react to this completely 100% honest review this way. Sorry, but the above happened, it is what it is, and whoever is running the front of house at VAST is in outer space.

For those of you who have experienced world-class dining in cities other than OKC, suffice to say this place doesn't come close. Clueless.

Question: have you ever eaten in a "fine dining" restaurant that demands you to place your order for starters and appetizers at the same time you place your orders for mains? We thought it was some kind of joke, but realized they were serious. I cannot imagine in a million years wasting another minute of my life worrying about getting a reservation to that amateur hour.

By the way, I knew several people would react to this completely 100% honest review this way. Sorry, but the above happened, it is what it is, and whoever is running the front of house at VAST is in outer space.
    I have experienced fine dining in the US in places like LA, San Francisco, New York, Miami, etc. and also in Europe in cities like London, Paris, Rome, Venice, Brussels, Amsterdam, etc. I have always ordered the entire meal at the beginning. I can't imagine why anyone would think that is a problem.

In the case of the ordering sequence I think it boils simply down to the old adage "The customer is always right".

Blog Entries

I've dined in over 30 countries and at some of the worlds most acclaimed restaurants. While Vast isn't world class, it in no way resembles the negative post of Guru when I have been there. The service was very good and the food was too. Not the best ever, but quite well prepared, fair portions and fairly priced. Atmosphere was very good and appropriate for this type of restaurant. By the way, theyoffered my table free deserts when THEY thought one of our guests might not be happy (which wasn't even the case). They went overboard to make sure we had a nice evening.

And the customer isn't always right. I have witnessed rude, overly demanding, and cheap customers. I have witnessed customers who had no expertise or taste rejecting expensive bottles of wine that THEY mis-ordered but were really just trying to find something they liked better. I've witnessed customers who rejected things THEY ordered because they had no idea of what it actually was, just that it SOUNDED sophisticated. I have been amazed at customers yelling when they weren't dressed appropriately and demanded to be seated regardless. So NO, customer isn't always right. You have to know the context.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Thank you! I didn't want to be the person to break it to sooonerguru but I've had fine dinning, and I don't get the beef with the ordering. It's common practice.
    I've had fine dining in Rome, Helsinki and Barcelona in the last 3 years, and they wanted the entire order, other than desert, up front. I had no problem with it.

For that matter, on Royal Carribean, they take your starter and main course at the same time.

Why would I want to be constantly interrupted by the server taking my drink order, telling me about the specials, ordering an appetizer, asking how is the appetizer, ordering a salad, asking how is the salad, asking if I'd like another drink, ordering the entree and sides, etc?

Get it out of the way and let me enjoy the company of my friends.

Thread Information