Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Vast

Default Re: Vast

Thanks, then a dinner it shall be if my lovely is along. About the only times we're free at the same time for lunch during the week is when grandchildren are in town, and then we're too busy with mac/cheese blended with hugs and smiles to go out to eat. C'mon Wednesday and git here already!

Correct to Local's bar manager moving. His name is Jeff Cole and he is brilliant behind the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by icecold View Post
    Agree about the portions. I went a couple weeks ago and was underwhelmed. Ordered a couple of apps and they were just a couple bites. Small scoop of potatoes with my steak and 2 asparagus spears. 2, a whopping 2. That was just proof I was getting ripped off. Best tasting item of the meal was the free bread. As others have said the bar area is cool and worth going back for some drinks.
    Wow: Only Two (2) asparagus spears. That indicates to me that the chef is trying to appeal to The Elf Food crowd. =)
    I think that putting Seven (7) asparagus spears on the plate, arranged nicely would be a VAST improvement . . . Of course, for cost control the Magic Chicken, Beef, Pork or Fish would have to be halved, but that is a small price to pay for symbolic completeness on The Plate . . . Maybe 7 asparagus spears, divided with thin cuts of carrots and parsnips, arranged in a vertical manner . . . with 7 rogue peas rolling around and one carefully sliced and fanned Brussel's Sprout for context . . . ? =)

All kidding aside . . . TWO asparagus spears does seem a bit stingy. Especially since people eat first with their eyes.
    ("excuse me . . . do i have a piece of spinach stuck to my eyelash . . . ?" =)

a group of us had dinner at Flint Saturday night and then drinks at vast. Vast was pretty empty at 930 with only one table seated and not many people in the bar. we had a great time and the views amazing. Flint btw was top notch as well. there were 8 of us and the service was great and everyone raved about the food..

Ate at Vast a few weeks ago and it was baaaaaad. Food was average at best (and almost cold), service was below par and I was disappointed in the layout. Went with a few other couples and I spent $400+ with tip (just my portion). Really let down with the final product to date. I wish them nothing but success, but they have alot of work ahead of them to be up to par with some of the nice places in OKC. Don't plan to eat ther again for at least a year, but I will return for a drink or two for the view.

Can't express how disappointed I was with the place.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyOcean View Post
    Ate at Vast a few weeks ago and it was baaaaaad. Food was average at best (and almost cold), service was below par and I was disappointed in the layout. Went with a few other couples and I spent $400+ with tip (just my portion). Really let down with the final product to date. I wish them nothing but success, but they have alot of work ahead of them to be up to par with some of the nice places in OKC. Don't plan to eat ther again for at least a year, but I will return for a drink or two for the view.

Did you inform management about the issues? If you did not, why? If they are not aware of food and service problems and are not provided feedback then how the issue be corrected? Just sayin.......

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    Hey Penny, the bar is on the 49th floor. It is just banquet space on the 50th floor. The secret to Vast is go at lunch and get the buffet! Its $18 but its all you can eat! I had three plates and the food was great! I haven't checked out the bar, but I noticed it is really small.
    Is the lunch buffet still an option? I don't see it on the menu...

Quote Originally Posted by BillyOcean View Post

This may be sort of a "trailer park boyz" response to the Culinary Issue at hand . . .

Yet, somehow, if I were to spend "$400+ for 'just my portion'" of a meal, I would expect some Kobe Beef flown-in by former kamikaze pilots in a zepplin--one of whom is actually named Kobe--garnished with Irish potatoes delivered by authentic leprechauns, with at least 12 asparagus spears,on a bed of saffron, with some Beluga caviar from Baby Beluga herownself . . . and plated-up by The Keebler Elves. Therefore, I suppose I would have been disappointed, too.

So . . . 'zackly what was it you ordered that required an investment like that in disappointment? =)
    Was it the Canada Dry Champagne?

If Vast kicks it up a notch, they might consider something along these lines, adding to the audio background of the dining experience, except perhaps changing the hook line to " . . . Get Outta My Dreams and Onto My Plate . . ."

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I would expect some Kobe Beef flown-in by former kamikaze pilots in a zepplin--one of whom is actually named Kobe--garnished with Irish potatoes delivered by authentic leprechauns, with at least 12 asparagus spears,on a bed of saffron, with some Beluga caviar from Baby Beluga herownself . . . and plated-up by The Keebler Elves.
    I want to eat this meal, minus the elves and leprechauns.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Did you inform management about the issues? If you did not, why? If they are not aware of food and service problems and are not provided feedback then how the issue be corrected? Just sayin.......
    of course I did.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    This may be sort of a "trailer park boyz" response to the Culinary Issue at hand . . .

Yet, somehow, if I were to spend "$400+ for 'just my portion'" of a meal, I would expect some Kobe Beef flown-in by former kamikaze pilots in a zepplin--one of whom is actually named Kobe--garnished with Irish potatoes delivered by authentic leprechauns, with at least 12 asparagus spears,on a bed of saffron, with some Beluga caviar from Baby Beluga herownself . . . and plated-up by The Keebler Elves. Therefore, I suppose I would have been disappointed, too.

So . . . 'zackly what was it you ordered that required an investment like that in disappointment? =)
    Was it the Canada Dry Champagne?

If Vast kicks it up a notch, they might consider something along these lines, adding to the audio background of the dining experience, except perhaps changing the hook line to " . . . Get Outta My Dreams and Onto My Plate . . ."

My wife/friends/I like to enjoy cocktails before during and after our dinner when we get together. There were a few bourbons before the meal and then we graduated to wine/champagne. I had their strip and it truly sucked.

Fair answer(s), amigo. No kidding.

I want to eat this meal, minus the elves and leprechauns.
    Good point. Elves and Leprechauns are like Calimari: Easy to overcook (and then they get all tough and chewy). Plus they make unnerving noises when you drop them in the boiling water.

Like I've said before, John Williams is a nice guy, but why does being GM of the Skirvin qualify him to run what many expect to be some of the nicest restaurants in OKC? The food at the Skirvin wasn't that good, and haven't been impressed with food quality at FLINT, it doesn't surprise me VAST has been getting less than stellar reviews for this caliber of an operation. I'm interested to see what, if anything they do to up their game.

13. Default Re: Vast

One might want to delve deeper into the resumes of both John Williams and Andrew Black .... Mayflower Hotel in D.C., Vinoy Hotel in St. Petersberg, Fla., Peabody in Memphis, Ritz in Paris...
    I agree both restaurants are a bit shaky getting off the ground. Launching two such ambitious efforts within six months of each other where they are virtual construction zones just weeks before opening can't be easy. I doubt any of the city's other top talents would have pulled it off perfectly under the same conditions. I agree ... let's see how they up their game in coming months.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Like I've said before, John Williams is a nice guy, but why does being GM of the Skirvin qualify him to run what many expect to be some of the nicest restaurants in OKC? The food at the Skirvin wasn't that good, and haven't been impressed with food quality at FLINT, it doesn't surprise me VAST has been getting less than stellar reviews for this caliber of an operation. I'm interested to see what, if anything they do to up their game.
    Pretty sure the restaurant cuisine is the work of Chef Black, not John Williams. For the record, Flint didn't blow my skirt up, but that was mainly due to the fact it felt like something conceived in an oil company boardroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    One might want to delve deeper into the resumes of both John Williams and Andrew Black .... Mayflower Hotel in D.C., Vinoy Hotel in St. Petersberg, Fla., Peabody in Memphis, Ritz in Paris...
    I agree both restaurants are a bit shaky getting off the ground. Launching two such ambitious efforts within six months of each other where they are virtual construction zones just weeks before opening can't be easy. I doubt any of the city's other top talents would have pulled it off perfectly under the same conditions. I agree ... let's see how they up their game in coming months.
    Honestly, Steve, what other top "talent" does OKC have? At the risk of offending people, IMO, Fleischfresser is overrated. Love Chef Buthion, but he's not a Michelin chef. Good Egg Group? These are all quality restaurateurs but we don't have a world-class restaurant in OKC. My guess is that Vast is seeking that Mansion on Turtle Creek esteem, but I haven't seen much evidence that OKC has the culinary chops of the major world cities. I'm optimistic, however, that this is still yet to come.

16. Default Re: Vast

You might be right Soonerguru.... so if our city is attempting to finally make the big jump up, I guess we shouldn't be surprised if it involves some struggle getting there.... I do believe our city has come a long way since "Olive Garden" was rated the city's best Italian restaurant in the Gazette (true story, mid-80s)

... I do believe our city has come a long way since "Olive Garden" was rated the city's best Italian restaurant in the Gazette (true story, mid-80s)
    So so so very sad that this was ever true. OG isn't gross, well it wasn't the last time I went, many years ago. But it shouldn't ever be confused with best anything .. except perhaps most pushy on wine recs.

You might be right Soonerguru.... so if our city is attempting to finally make the big jump up, I guess we shouldn't be surprised if it involves some struggle getting there.... I do believe our city has come a long way since "Olive Garden" was rated the city's best Italian restaurant in the Gazette (true story, mid-80s)
    Great point, Steve. And I recall Red Lobster getting "Best Seafood" for at least a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Honestly, Steve, what other top "talent" does OKC have? At the risk of offending people, IMO, Fleischfresser is overrated. Love Chef Buthion, but he's not a Michelin chef. Good Egg Group? These are all quality restaurateurs but we don't have a world-class restaurant in OKC. My guess is that Vast is seeking that Mansion on Turtle Creek esteem, but I haven't seen much evidence that OKC has the culinary chops of the major world cities. I'm optimistic, however, that this is still yet to come.
    Clay Falkner. And Fleishfresser is hardly overrated...he's just not involved as much as he used to be.

If OKC wants a world class restaurant, then it needs to start spending (eating/drinking) like one. World class restaurants start at $100/person for the food alone, not even accounting for beer, liquor and wine (the latter 2 which can easily make that $100/person tab go up to $300/person).

Until $300 parties of two are flowing plentifully throughout OKC, forget the idea of a world-class restaurant here.

Vast is certainly not in the running to be a world-class restaurant anytime soon...they'll do good just to have their name mentioned alongside Ranch, Signature Grill, and Coach House. Their menu prices are too low to put out food the quality some are looking for them to put out.

Without having been, I can already see that they're going to have to make some choices in terms of what their real identity is going to be. They're trying to do too much for too little. Either raise the prices and sell the food you want to sell, or keep the prices where they're at and revise your menu to be more in line with your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Great point, Steve. And I recall Red Lobster getting "Best Seafood" for at least a couple of years.
    This is the "Dick and Jane" or "Cat in the Hat" of Culinary/Cultural Criticism and I recommend it to all.
    Joe Queenan is no Anthony Bourdain (nor even Dave Barry or Joe Bob Briggs) but he doesn't pretend to be.

if the image link wasn't from amazon, it would probably arrive at the speed of mcdonalds

I would have been happy if they had brought in Hal Smith and put a Mahoganies up there

22. Default Re: Vast

Meh. I wasn't impressed with my visit to Mahoganies. I didn't think the steak, or service, matched the price. It wasn't horrible. I just wasn't wowed. I actually liked the steak better at Hal Smith's less formal, less expensive Charleston's. If I had to rank my favorite upscale steakhouses in town (forgive me, I've not been to Ranch, so this could change at a later date), it would be Red Prime, Mickey Mantle, and then... well, for me we jump into a different league of lovable old less formal, basic steak steakhouses like Cattlemen's., etc.
    Neither Vast or Flint, however, are steak houses ... and with the lunch buffet and banquet operations required by Devon, I doubt Mahoganies would fit the bill.

Mahogany*

24. Default Re: Vast

Yeah, I didn't think that was spelled right. But I didn't have time to check. I lazily went with the spelling the other guy used... my bad.

I mean, I get why everybody does it:

Morton's
    Fleming's
    Ruth's Chris
    Bern's
    Mickey Mantle's
    Kirby's

I don't think Mahogany's(/ies) going away anytime soon

Thread Information