Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Vast

Default Re: Vast

This is a photo I took from the Vast banquet space last week:

putting the "V" in Vast

from the okc health and wellness group facebook page

3. Default Re: Vast

As an aside, I am really looking forward to seeing the gardens decked out for Christmas from the windows at Vast.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    As an aside, I am really looking forward to seeing the gardens decked out for Christmas from the windows at Vast.
    And Flint too, albeit from the ground level.

Still should really add to the ambiance and I'm sure Devon will do plenty in their park and gardens.

Had dinner here last week. The restaurant itself is very nice and has a slick design and layout. The food left a little to be desired however. My entree, the dourade royale, was very good, although the portion was a bit small. But I kind of expected that. The appetizers we had were the most disappointing. The lobster ravioli and the pheasant starter were really average at best. The complimentary bread they brought out, kind of a mediterranean style bread, was really good. The others in our party seemed to think their entrees were fairly average, 2 of them getting different steak entrees. Service was excellent. As it should have been since only about 1/3 of the tables were being used. Im guessing they are purposely limiting the crowds early on.

Its definitely a unique and cool setting but the food needs a bit of work. Will be back for drinks and such but probably wont visit it too often for dinner.

6. Default Re: Vast

Interesting... I thought the lobster ravioli was really good when I was there. ...

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Had dinner here last week. The restaurant itself is very nice and has a slick design and layout. The food left a little to be desired however. My entree, the dourade royale, was very good, although the portion was a bit small. But I kind of expected that. The appetizers we had were the most disappointing. The lobster ravioli and the pheasant starter were really average at best. The complimentary bread they brought out, kind of a mediterranean style bread, was really good. The others in our party seemed to think their entrees were fairly average, 2 of them getting different steak entrees. Service was excellent. As it should have been since only about 1/3 of the tables were being used. Im guessing they are purposely limiting the crowds early on.

Its definitely a unique and cool setting but the food needs a bit of work. Will be back for drinks and such but probably wont visit it too often for dinner.
    Finally a real review, thanks.

I was wondering if the food was going to be underwhelming. I'm not impressed with Williams Hospitality as far as food is concerned. FLINT was the same way, but I expected more out of the food for that level.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There are separate reservations for the bar and it is fully booked through December.
    Perhaps there has been a change. I just called to reserve two spots at the bar for tomorrow and was told that they don't require reservations, but it's first come, first served. With a basketball game tomorrow, they're expecting it to be packed.

Yes, this is a definite change. They specifically required reservations for the bar upon opening.

Keep in mind there are less than 30 seats in the entire bar and very little standing room. I bet they will turn people away if it's too full, as there is nowhere to put them and I'm sure they don't want to distract from the dining experience.

Great view but the food needs some work. Service and views were tremendous. there were 3 of us dining and nothing about the food or it's prep were outstanding. New place and hope it gets better. Small bar area. This could be a great go to spot after work. We had a few drinks and a bottle of wine with dinner and the total came to $450.00 w/ tip. Sort of steep for the "affordale fine dining" that was expressed. Will go back.

Sounds like they need feedback cards.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Sounds like they need feedback cards.
    I can almost guarantee that they read this site and others that post restaurant reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I can almost guarantee that they read this site and others that post restaurant reviews.
    Agreed, but how many of us are still waiting to go or really even have yet to make a reservation? The cards would provide better information from people that are leaving.

I'm going, tomorrow, for a bar function and will let you know what I think. I am excited about the view but will be pleasantly surprised if the food is anything to write home about. Maybe it will be but most of these sorts of things, no matter the location, are somewhat marginal. I figure it is because they are trying to serve so many people at once so I don't get too worried about it. Fortunately, I am more excited about the view and seeing a few friends than I am the food. With any luck, the food will be terrific.

Saw on Local's (in Norman) facebook page that Vast has poached the head barkeep. He makes some fantastic cocktails, and I'll for sure miss him in Norman, but wish him the best of luck at Vast. Will definitely need to stop by the bar.

The bar function, as it turns out, was on the 50th floor rather than on the 49th, where Vast is located. The views were great and they had plenty of waitstaff to help the large group. They were all very nice. The view was great, no matter what direction you were sitting - you could see out. It would be fun to be up there in a thunderstorm.

I don't know how the food/price for the large group compares to Vast but while the flavor was okay, the portions weren't large (although I ended up giving back some of the chicken - the wait staff seemed to want it and kept asking and I hated to look like a dog with a bone). In fact, the portions were a little skimpy. I usually don't eat two regular sized meals a day but by the time I got home three hours later, I was hungry, again. The chicken was in a glaze sauce that was good but there were hardly any vegetables. I'd say 1.5 small carrots (one was just over an inch long, the other was about twice that. I wasn't sure if they were actually a garnish - I didn't even find them until I moved the chicken over to taste the risotto. The rolls were hot and the butter was whipped and fresh tasting. Loved the squash risotto, liked the salad and thought the size was appropriate if on the small size, but the staff kept trying to take that, too. I am a slow eater but they were taking most of the salads before they were finished - probably a product of trying to serve a large group. There was also a roasted tomato that I really liked.

The chicken was okay - pretty good for a large group sort of dinner. I actually would have given up some of the chicken for more abundant sides but even with the dessert (a small pumpkin pie tart), it wasn't worth thirty-five dollars, if you ask me. It was good, but not great. I don't mind paying for a nice meal and am glad I went, but the view was definitely what we were paying for, especially when you consider that we didn't get a say in what food we'd have preferred. And, of course, you have to expect that when you are with a large group like this, the food isn't going to be the same as if you came in and ordered off the menu. I could have gotten much more food (enough for a second small meal) that was better/fresher tasting, for ten dollars less at Cheevers.

But at the same time, it would be nice to go up at night for a drink. I didn't check out the appetizers on the regular menu but think it would be fun to have a couple of drinks and appetizers and enjoy the view but it would be pricey - could be worth it with the right company, though. I think I'd go elsewhere if I just wanted to enjoy a nice meal.

that particular event doesn't seem to ever find its way onto my calender, view or no view. Yet, at some point in the hopefully not too distant future, either drinks/snacks or a light meal up there will likely take place. Probably in spring or summer when it is still light out. With my night vision, blurry balls of glow in the distance just don't do much for me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post

In fact, the portions were a little skimpy. I usually don't eat two regular sized meals a day but by the time I got home three hours later, I was hungry, again. The chicken was in a glaze sauce that was good but there were hardly any vegetables. I'd say 1.5 small carrots (one was just over an inch long, the other was about twice that. I wasn't sure if they were actually a garnish - I didn't even find them until I moved the chicken over to taste the risotto.
    Agree about the portions. I went a couple weeks ago and was underwhelmed. Ordered a couple of apps and they were just a couple bites. Small scoop of potatoes with my steak and 2 asparagus spears. 2, a whopping 2. That was just proof I was getting ripped off. Best tasting item of the meal was the free bread. As others have said the bar area is cool and worth going back for some drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    that particular event doesn't seem to ever find its way onto my calender, view or no view. Yet, at some point in the hopefully not too distant future, either drinks/snacks or a light meal up there will likely take place. Probably in spring or summer when it is still light out. With my night vision, blurry balls of glow in the distance just don't do much for me anymore.
    Kevin, I wan't even thinking of it but a girlfriend asked me if I was going and I was glad for the reminder. If you ever decide to go, let me know - I'd love to meet you, in person.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    The bar function, as it turns out, was on the 50th floor rather than on the 49th, where Vast is located. The views were great and they had plenty of waitstaff to help the large group. They were all very nice. The view was great, no matter what direction you were sitting - you could see out. It would be fun to be up there in a thunderstorm.

I don't know how the food/price for the large group compares to Vast but while the flavor was okay, the portions weren't large (although I ended up giving back some of the chicken - the wait staff seemed to want it and kept asking and I hated to look like a dog with a bone). In fact, the portions were a little skimpy. I usually don't eat two regular sized meals a day but by the time I got home three hours later, I was hungry, again. The chicken was in a glaze sauce that was good but there were hardly any vegetables. I'd say 1.5 small carrots (one was just over an inch long, the other was about twice that. I wasn't sure if they were actually a garnish - I didn't even find them until I moved the chicken over to taste the risotto. The rolls were hot and the butter was whipped and fresh tasting. Loved the squash risotto, liked the salad and thought the size was appropriate if on the small size, but the staff kept trying to take that, too. I am a slow eater but they were taking most of the salads before they were finished - probably a product of trying to serve a large group. There was also a roasted tomato that I really liked.

The chicken was okay - pretty good for a large group sort of dinner. I actually would have given up some of the chicken for more abundant sides but even with the dessert (a small pumpkin pie tart), it wasn't worth thirty-five dollars, if you ask me. It was good, but not great. I don't mind paying for a nice meal and am glad I went, but the view was definitely what we were paying for, especially when you consider that we didn't get a say in what food we'd have preferred. And, of course, you have to expect that when you are with a large group like this, the food isn't going to be the same as if you came in and ordered off the menu. I could have gotten much more food (enough for a second small meal) that was better/fresher tasting, for ten dollars less at Cheevers.

But at the same time, it would be nice to go up at night for a drink. I didn't check out the appetizers on the regular menu but think it would be fun to have a couple of drinks and appetizers and enjoy the view but it would be pricey - could be worth it with the right company, though. I think I'd go elsewhere if I just wanted to enjoy a nice meal.
    Hey Penny, the bar is on the 49th floor. It is just banquet space on the 50th floor. The secret to Vast is go at lunch and get the buffet! Its $18 but its all you can eat! I had three plates and the food was great! I haven't checked out the bar, but I noticed it is really small.

That price point (18) for a lunch buffet is not pricey. Sure it's more than a 14+ price tag at Five Guys, O'Connell's, Garage, Sooner Legends, Bubba's or Van's, but not all that much. Considering the view, so long as the food is tasty, even a single pass though a serving line would seem an Ok value so long as the table company is also enjoyable. After all, even a free meal with borish folk is far too high a price to absorb. Good dining companions can offset a lot of other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    Hey Penny, the bar is on the 49th floor. It is just banquet space on the 50th floor. The secret to Vast is go at lunch and get the buffet! Its $18 but its all you can eat! I had three plates and the food was great! I haven't checked out the bar, but I noticed it is really small.
    Thanks - I'll keep that in mind on the off chance I can drag my better half up that elevator. It would be fun.

That price point (18) for a lunch buffet is not pricey. Sure it's more than a 14+ price tag at Five Guys, O'Connell's, Garage, Sooner Legends, Bubba's or Van's, but not all that much. Considering the view, so long as the food is tasty, even a single pass though a serving line would seem an Ok value so long as the table company is also enjoyable. After all, even a free meal with borish folk is far too high a price to absorb. Good dining companions can offset a lot of other issues.
    True - all of it.

By the by, anyone know if the lunch buffet is also offered on Saturdays or Sundays?

By the by, anyone know if the lunch buffet is also offered on Saturdays or Sundays?
    Vast is closed on Sundays and not open for lunch on Saturdays, so that would be a no.

Thread Information