Widgets Magazine
Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Skyline Shots

Default Re: Favorite Skyline Shots

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    It'd be nice to see something someday on all that parking that is wrapped around the U-Haul building.
    You read my mind! That's the first thing my eye was drawn to when I looked at the picture. We need to get that developed nicely and finally the old Ford lot between the parks.

So many amazing pictures. A couple of years ago I saw an interesting picture on channel 4 that looked like it was taken from a drone above Hefner Lake. So the lake was in the foreground and it looked like Oklahoma City had two downtowns and a sea side. My suggestion for someone with a drone.

3. Default Re: Favorite Skyline Shots

amazing difference!

by the way, OKC does have two downtowns. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Why is it never in any discussion for development?
    I'm unsure of what Pete is referencing, but I do know that in some of the planning around turning Santa Fe Station into an intermodal transit hub has included converting the big lot to the west of U-Haul to a parking garage with a bus terminal on the bottom level. AFAIK those plans were only ever conceptual so likely not the same as what Pete knows.

Every single parking/empty lot in the core is constantly being evaluated for development.

OKC now has 2-3 dozen developers who are always, always actively looking to do more.

Often, the time is just not right and the lot between the Myriad Gardens and Scissortail Park is the perfect case in point. That is in the hands of two groups with fantastic track records and very deep pockets: Midtown Renaissance and Hall Capital. At some point -- and it may take another 10 years but probably not that long -- there will be a great development on that site.

It's not so straightforward for other properties like the old Producer's Coop or Strawberry Fields. More needs to happen in both places before the current owners can move things forward. And even with these two examples, there are lots of motivated people working on things, it just takes time and bringing in other parties and the property may even need to be sold to other entities before development of significance occurs.

It often takes years or even a decade of work behind the scenes before we see any hard movement. And even then, there will always be stops, starts and restructuring. By the time someone is ready to reveal renderings and we can actually start to visualize a project, there have been years and years of work by brokers, buyers, sellers, engineers, banks, architects, tenants and more.

Long way of saying there are tons of things going on but you won't see evidence of it until the people involved are ready.

I know I feed this impatience because I am good at finding the beginnings of movement, like a sale or rezoning. And then right away people want a project started and completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Every single parking/empty lot in the core is constantly being evaluated for development.

OKC now has 2-3 dozen developers who are always, always actively looking to do more.

Often, the time is just not right and the lot between the Myriad Gardens and Scissortail Park is the perfect case in point. That is in the hands of two groups with fantastic track records and very deep pockets: Midtown Renaissance and Hall Capital. At some point -- and it may take another 10 years but probably not that long -- there will be a great development on that site.

It's not so straightforward for other properties like the old Producer's Coop or Strawberry Fields. More needs to happen in both places before the current owners can move things forward. And even with these two examples, there are lots of motivated people working on things, it just takes time and bringing in other parties and the property may even need to be sold to other entities before development of significance occurs.

It often takes years or even a decade of work behind the scenes before we see any hard movement. And even then, there will always be stops, starts and restructuring. By the time someone is ready to reveal renderings and we can actually start to visualize a project, there have been years and years of work by brokers, buyers, sellers, engineers, banks, architects, tenants and more.

Long way of saying there are tons of things going on but you won't see evidence of it until the people involved are ready.

I know I feed this impatience because I am good at finding the beginnings of movement, like a sale or rezoning. And then right away people want a project started and completed.
    I'm thinking of building an addition onto my home and my wife and mother (who would likely come live with us if we do the addition) are constantly on my case - bu there's just so much that goes into construction and development that people don't understand. Even if you have the resources like our city's top developers, time is ruthless - you can only do so much in a day. I'm super excited, for example, that Gary Brooks hasn't really done anything major for, what, 5 years now, while he focuses on First National. I'd rather things be done right the 1st time, especially on the most important sites. Everything within a 5 block radius of Santa Fe station should only get 2 types of development: low-investment activation (think Bleu Garten or the basketball court on the old Bob Howard lot) or the high-quality, multi-generational developments (likely) costing hundreds of millions of dollars.

First shot is from 1970; second shot was taken today.

Wowza, what a transformation. Hopefully we can do something with those parking lots in between Myriad and Scissortail....

That photo from 1970 was at the tail-end of what was considered a big downtown boom.

Liberty Tower (now BancFirst) was newly completed, Kerr McGee Tower was under construction as was the Myriad.

Most everything else was abandoned or nearly abandoned.

Took this today and you can see the progress of the glass on BancFirst Tower:

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    Beautiful shots!

Question? First I noticed the nighttime skyline has changed? Did some of the towers update their exterior lights? Devon tower will they ever turn back on their night exterior lights. The first National when do they re light that crown? Thanks

Has anyone got a picture of the skyline from the turnpike in between N Rockwell and N MacArthur? Driving into the City in the morning and you can see all of NW expressway building that blend into the downtown skyline. Looks like it would be a great shot if you had the right equipment.

That is a great view of the whole city.

Quote Originally Posted by poe View Post
    That is a great view of the whole city.
    I think you can also see the Capitol and 50 Penn area as well. Great elevated view of the whole city skyline

Took this one tonight (Tuesday).

Gorgeous - did the winds die down enough in the evening or is your drone just solid enough to deal with the wind?

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Gorgeous - did the winds die down enough in the evening or is your drone just solid enough to deal with the wind?
    The drone does pretty well unless things are crazy windy.

The key is flying into the wind, otherwise you may never get it to return! I've only had that happen once and it was a terrible feeling to try and chase it down in my car. Fortunately, it all worked out but I learned a valuable lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    Beautiful shots! Someone should retake the second one now that the Paycom Center is illuminated

It'll suck for parking at the park, but it'll be so nice when that parking lot on the other side of Hudson, across from the park, is developed. Fill in those big open areas.

Took this one last night:

Looks great. Love how often you post pics. Thanks!!

24. Default Re: Favorite Skyline Shots

curious why broadway has those dark patches. Are we really not even serious about street lighting even downtown?

Light up the darn streets for heavens sake, especially downtown!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information