Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Drivers License design

Default Re: New Drivers License design

Considering the majority of states still don't support it, the timelines keep getting pushed further out, and the way it was pass and the opposition it has, I'm not sure I see REAL ID enforcement ever being put into place.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Considering the majority of states still don't support it, the timelines keep getting pushed further out, and the way it was pass and the opposition it has, I'm not sure I see REAL ID enforcement ever being put into place.
    From what I've seen, only 9 states are still non-compliant.

Since Republicans raised the price to get a drivers license or renew it, there should be money to update them.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    From what I've seen, only 9 states are still non-compliant.
    30 states. Only 9 states don't have exemptetions or extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    30 states. Only 9 states don't have exemptetions or extensions.
    According to the Office of Homeland Security, 22 states are compliant without needing any exemptions or extensions.

REAL ID Enforcement in Brief | Homeland Security

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    According to the Office of Homeland Security, 22 states are compliant without needing any exemptions or extensions.

REAL ID Enforcement in Brief | Homeland Security
    Either way, without rechecking, the majoroty of states aren't in compliance. There's a reason they keep pushing the deadline back. Last I saw was 5 more rears for are travel. At the minimum.

7. Default Re: New Drivers License design

So here we are all these months later and we don't have a new plan in place. Good news, the feds extended the timeline a few more years to give us time to work it out.

So my question really is, why can't we get this done? Are there limitations with the ID printers that the state had everyone purchase (or does the state purchase them) at the tag agencies that they can't do certain things the Real ID needs them to do? For what i could tell in the regs, it didn't look like we had any major special features that were going to be required and that it was mostly layout changes but the state was fighting a pointless battle in trying to say the feds can't tell them what to do (im so shocked that we're wasting time on that....not). So what's the real meat of the problem as to why we can't get this done? If it's the latter, i get REAL tired of wasting time on things that have an outcome that wont change....like trying 19 times to overthrow the ACA. Or spending 3 years talking about Clinton's blowjobs instead of working on budgets/foreign policy/etc. I wonder what Afghanistan would have looked like if we had focussed on those issues instead of a BJ in the Oval Office?

I didn’t want to start a new thread on this but Oklahoma will be one of the first states to add drivers licenses to the Apple wallet when the next iOS update comes this fall:

Arizona and Georgia will be the first states to make their licenses compatible with Apple Wallet, with the others — Connecticut, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Oklahoma and Utah — to follow later, according to an Apple press release. The digital IDs will also be accepted at airport checkpoints staffed by the U.S. Transportation Security Administration, the agency’s director, David Pekoske, said in the Apple release.

The digital IDs will be available when Apple releases iOS 15, Jennifer Bailey, the company’s vice president for its Wallet and Apple Pay products, said at its Worldwide Developers Conference in June. The operating system update is expected sometime this fall.
    - https://statescoop.com/eight-states-...apple-devices/

I’ve been using the digital app, and it’s been nice to have at times.

Pro-Tip: You may wish to think twice before handing your phone over to a cop... he may "inadvertently" manage to access your browsing history, stored files, text messages, and any other information you have stored.. and it would potentially be uncertain where that could lead. For me, I'll just get the new RealID and hand that to them if legally requested.

Is this a new record for necroposting Panda? 5.5 yrs! Good on ya!

It’s good for when I forgot my wallet at home and grab a bottle of wine at Target

Given one of the things it seems intended to be use for with TSA/travel, it seems like might be a good idea for having a backup when traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I didn’t want to start a new thread on this but Oklahoma will be one of the first states to add drivers licenses to the Apple wallet when the next iOS update comes this fall:

- https://statescoop.com/eight-states-...apple-devices/
    You don't see a problem handing a police officer your unlocked and totally accessible phone just so that you don't have to carry a physical DL?

I can see it now, "Alright sir, give me a moment and I will be back with you. . . "

(returns to car and proceeds to look at all the stuff on your phone. or worse, calls a detective to stop by and peruse though all the information you have just provided them with.)

^^^^ you don’t have to give him a phone you can still have a physical copy. But if they only allowed drivers licenses on the phone with no physical option then yes I’d have a problem. I imagine he’ll have a scanner and simply scan the barcode with his phone or device.

15. Default Re: New Drivers License design

The mobile ID is a backup, but you CAN use it as the primary if you want. For me, that's a great way to not have to take my wallet to the gym because the license was the only reason I had it with me.

In regards to an officer looking through your phone, I dont think anything they find would be admissible because they don't have a warrant to "search" and there's no legitimate reason to look through your phone for anything related to pulling you over for traffic reasons. If they smell alcohol/drugs or whatever, again the phone wouldn't be the issue. So I do not think that's a very valid concern. Any lawyers here that could speak to that?

Another benefit, say you're traveling and your wallet is stolen. Well, if you have your phone (or access to a phone to download the app to), then now you have your ID. It's just a tool in your belt to help you. Funny enough, my picture in the mobile app is from I dont even know how many years ago. I've had a beard for the last 2 licenses, and the picture that showed up on the mobile app was the last time I had a license picture taken without a beard. I think it was around 2017 or something. I had gotten a regular non-Real ID renewal this summer beacuse of the crazy lines and getting ready to move in a few months. Went back and got the Real ID last month, and bam, there's the baby face picture lol. The ID itself has the correct current image.

Thread Information