Widgets Magazine

Thread: Akin’s Natural Foods

Default Akin’s Natural Foods

I haven’t seen anything on the forum about the closure of Akin’s at 63rd and N. May. It was rather odd to drive by and see this space emptied out after so many years. Formerly Buttons Home Video, Peaches Records and Tapes, it will be interesting to see what can occupy this spot. Any buzz?

2. Default Re: Akin’s Natural Foods

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    I haven’t seen anything on the forum about the closure of Akin’s at 63rd and N. May. It was rather odd to drive by and see this space emptied out after so many years. Formerly Buttons Home Video, Peaches Records and Tapes, it will be interesting to see what can occupy this spot. Any buzz?
    Since the location on Memorial is also closed, do they even have a store in Oklahoma City any more?

Default Re: Akin’s Natural Foods

I did not know that they had closed. I do know that Natural Grocer down the street is moving out to Northwest Highway about 3 miles west. I would guess that the competition from Sprouts and Whole Foods has taken alot of their business. I do drop in Natural Grocer for some items. I have not been in Akin for many years. I shop Sprouts and go to Whole foods for a few items.

Default Re: Akin’s Natural Foods

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Since the location on Memorial is also closed, do they even have a store in Oklahoma City any more?
    It appears they do not. The locations page on their website now only shows 3 stores in Tulsa and one in Rogers, AR.

5. Default Re: Akin’s Natural Foods

I've always thought it was a little ironic that Akins stores are owned by AMCOM. AMCOM's biggest business is wholesaling tobacco, cigarettes, and candy to convenience stores.

6. Default Re: Akin’s Natural Foods

They were the only game in town for a very long time, and then suddenly we had a lot of different options, and better ones to boot. Green Acres, Natural Grocers, Sprouts, etc. And all of those folks (i'm not counting Whole Paycheck) were far more competitive in prices. Once they all had locations all over town, there simply wasn't a reason to go all the way to Akins any longer. Frankly, I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did.

I have to be careful at Sprouts, i'll walk in for one thing and then i've spent $100.

Thread Information