Widgets Magazine
Page 54 of 59 FirstFirst ... 449505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1470

Thread: OnCue OKC Expansion

Default Re: OnCue OKC Expansion

Pete's post in the Half thread about a new OnCue going in just to the south of that development made me curious as to how many new locations are still in the pipeline across the Metro. I came up with the below list, are there any that I'm missing?

Grand/I-35
    I-40/Peebly
    NE 63rd/Kelley
    NW 13th/Western
    NW 192nd/SH-74
    SE 15th/I-35
    SW 15th/I-44
    SW 29th/Sara
    United Founders/May
    Wilshire/US-77

Default OnCue to NW 192nd and Portland

The property at the southeast corner of NW 192nd/Portland was just sold to OnCue.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5763.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	459.0 KB 
ID:	18376

Default Re: OnCue to NW 192nd and Portland

There's already an OnCue just two miles south. Wonder what this is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    There's already an OnCue just two miles south. Wonder what this is all about.
    It's on the opposite side of an incredibly busy road, which is a big deal to c-stores.

Look no further than the four OnCue's on NW Expressway, starting from the west: northside (Kilpatrick), southside (Wilshire), northside (Portland), southside (Blackwelder).

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's on the opposite side of an incredibly busy road, which is a big deal to c-stores.

Look no further than the four OnCue's on NW Expressway, starting from the west: northside (Kilpatrick), southside (Wilshire), northside (Portland), southside (Blackwelder).
    Hadn't thought of it that way. Makes sense.

Even if their gas prices aren't the best, they're one if the few places that still have free air.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Hadn't thought of it that way. Makes sense.

Even if their gas prices aren't the best, they're one if the few places that still have free air.
    They have Top Tier gas plus no-ethanol offerings, so the prices are right on par for me.

OnCue is acquiring property on the SW corner of NW 122nd and MacArthur:

Interesting that OnCue and others are still rapidly expanding with fuel stations, when it seems that in about a decade the entire infrastructure model will be forced to change.

https://cnb.cx/3skhkqt

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Interesting that OnCue and others are still rapidly expanding with fuel stations, when it seems that in about a decade the entire infrastructure model will be forced to change.

It does make me worry about the long-term impact on OKC.

It's not just OnCue, but Casey's, 7-11, QT, eExpress and some others. We must have added 100 large-scale gas stations in just the last 5 years or so.

I know that these places sell lots more than gas, and I know they can add charging stations, but you need a different type of facility because the wait is so much longer. More lounge- and restuarant-like, not just somewhere you blow through to grab something to drink on your way back to the car.

Do they own the land to the left in the picture? These seems like a unusable shape of land for what they normally build. (Hard to tell actual size of the lot)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Do they own the land to the left in the picture? These seems like a unusable shape of land for what they normally build. (Hard to tell actual size of the lot)
    Not yet.

I suspect it's under contract or they are actively working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post

i'm also so shocked every time i see these go in, and they are putting in more and more food, and even locations to sit now, but still no charging stations that would guarantee people are going to be there for awhile and use those new facilities.

13. Default Re: OnCue OKC Expansion

The area to the left is a tag agency among other things. The area directly south of the red line running through the parking lot is Scissorrtail tattoo, a jewelry store, cbd, etc. Casey’s is caddy corner and a 7/11 is a few blocks further north.

It does make me worry about the long-term impact on OKC.

It's not just OnCue, but Casey's, 7-11, QT, eExpress and some others. We must have added 100 large-scale gas stations in just the last 5 years or so.

I know that these places sell lots more than gas, and I know they can add charging stations, but you need a different type of facility because the wait is so much longer. More lounge- and restuarant-like, not just somewhere you blow through to grab something to drink on your way back to the car.
    On the other hand, it seems very possible that electric cars aren't going to truly take off in this part of the country until the current 20-30 minute charging time is reduced by an additional 50%. Can't speak for everyone, but I know this is a dealbreaker for me personally at the moment. And once you get it down to 10-15 minutes, you're really not looking at anything too different than the current length of a gas station stop.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    On the other hand, it seems very possible that electric cars aren't going to truly take off in this part of the country until the current 20-30 minute charging time is reduced by an additional 50%. Can't speak for everyone, but I know this is a dealbreaker for me personally at the moment. And once you get it down to 10-15 minutes, you're really not looking at anything too different than the current length of a gas station stop.
    As a new EV owner, I think people are vastly overestimating how often public charging stations are going to be needed. Of course it depends on each person's lifestyle, driving needs, and type of residence, but since installing a charger in our garage—something I presume is going to be what the large majority of EV owners who live in detached single-family homes in e.g. NW OKC do—we haven't visited a public charging station once. Road trips, etc. are a different ballgame of course but even then you're probably much more likely to use a supercharging station along a highway. How often are most people driving 200+ miles a day? Also, at least for Tesla superchargers, you can get the large majority of your battery back in ~15 minutes. It is the last ~20% or so of the battery that charges at a markedly slower rate, but if you're using a public station just to get you a short rest of the way, it really isn't necessary to "top off".

All of this it to say that, while the point about needing restaurants/lounges/etc. is definitely valid, even if all of the new gas station infrastructure were gradually converted to cater to EVs, I still think there'd be way too many of them for it to make sense from a land use perspective. Just my $0.02.

^

Right, apart from long trips, most everyone will be charging at home. It won't be long before we see wireless charging mats, similar to mobile phones.

It's hard to imagine much need for charging stations within a city. And when that does happen, it will be travelers from elsewhere so the stations would need to be off an interstate or at a motel or tourist attraction.

There will be people without access to a home charging station (such as apartments) but you think that type of person would be one of the last to buy/lease an EV.

I just worry that OKC is in the midst of a massive gas station building boom and that most of those places will be dinosaurs within the next 20 years.

I guess this is where my perspective is skewed, because I do live in an apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I guess this is where my perspective is skewed, because I do live in an apartment.
    Fair enough and there is a strong argument to be made that younger people (a big percentage of apartment dwellers) will be more likely to buy an EV than the older population that largely owns homes with garages.

For sure charging times will continue to decrease and the driving range increase. I bet we'll soon see when you can get up to about 150 miles of charge very quickly (10 minutes or so) and then be able to do a full 500 miles in about 30 minutes. In that way, unless you are planning a long drive the existing gas stations could provide chargers that would function almost as fast as a gas pump.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i'm also so shocked every time i see these go in, and they are putting in more and more food, and even locations to sit now, but still no charging stations that would guarantee people are going to be there for awhile and use those new facilities.
    Just from a long term gear head's perspective, as much push as there is for a fully electric swing for daily driven vehicles we just can't phase out gasoline in 5 or 10 years to this alternative. As cool as an all electric vehicle is, we're most likely going to be looking at realistically going towards more hybrid and other alternatives to gas (hydrogen, synthetic gasoline etc) which would still constitute the need for these types of stations. From a civil engineering designer stand point, it's not overly complex for them to add several charging stations at any location the size of current on cue footprints. I'd safely say if On Cue was worried they'd be diversifying their designs.

My 2 cents on it.

Yeah, there are currently about 300 million (!) cars in the U.S. alone and almost all are gas-powered.

Yeah, there are currently about 300 million (!) cars in the U.S. alone and almost all are gas-powered.
    And if people really start learning just how bad the mining process for electric powered vehicle batteries truly is, I would be surprised if everyone kept applauding them as much.

With changing consumer trends and tax laws regarding construction, I think most commercial buildings are replaced after 30-40 years. Most of these gas station replacements are replacing buildings from the 1980s, replacing buildings from the 1950s, replacing buildings from the 1930s. The 122nd & MacArthur complex is a perfect example, as the entire complex was built in 1985ish.

Quote Originally Posted by tvkokc View Post
    And if people really start learning just how bad the mining process for electric powered vehicle batteries truly is, I would be surprised if everyone kept applauding them as much.
    Not to get into this yet again, but several studies have proven that EVs are still way better for the environment.

Just from a long term gear head's perspective, as much push as there is for a fully electric swing for daily driven vehicles we just can't phase out gasoline in 5 or 10 years to this alternative. As cool as an all electric vehicle is, we're most likely going to be looking at realistically going towards more hybrid and other alternatives to gas (hydrogen, synthetic gasoline etc) which would still constitute the need for these types of stations. From a civil engineering designer stand point, it's not overly complex for them to add several charging stations at any location the size of current on cue footprints. I'd safely say if On Cue was worried they'd be diversifying their designs.

My 2 cents on it.
    True, Oncue caters to a lot of different types of customers. Just go to Oncue in the mornings and you see all the commercial vehicles/customers. I think electric is going to be extremely slow for commercial as the economics are no where near as good. That's where you will see more of a pivot to more CNG and diesel. I honestly don't widespread use of electric Amazon or UPS delivery trucks anytime soon.

The small guys will struggle, but that was true before the rise of electric vehicles.

That's true of all mining processes including mining for oil. Right now the breakeven point for electric vehicles is 5 years if pulling your energy from carbon fueled power plants, less if getting the energy from renewable.

I'm more interested in our ability to meet the mining demand for the rare Earth metals needed for electric vehicles. I do think car any kind of ownership will become more of a thing for the wealthy 25 -50 years from now(already is this way for most of the world). Free market/resource limitations will 'fix' the environmental issues in the long run.

Thread Information