Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst 12345678954 ... LastLast

Thread: OnCue OKC Expansion

Default Re: OnCue OKC Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    Slurpee cups are sooooo much cooler than ICEE cups.
    You got that right. Kind of.

A Quik Trip Generation 3 store in Wichita:

Quiktrip "Generation 3" Store | Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Shake2005 View Post

Brown Family generation 0 store in OKC:

7-Eleven - 36th & Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    You got that right. Kind of.

I wish they would let Oklahoma do the slurppee cup promotions one day or free slurpees on 7-11 or even have the Oklahoma 7-11's sell what other 7-11's out of state sell

Slurpee's suck eggs. Too much sugar in it. Icy drinks are the only way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Shake2005 View Post

If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times... I really miss QT's...

The QT cheerleaders seem to pop up once every few months with a new thread. It's a friggin gas station.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    The QT cheerleaders seem to pop up once every few months with a new thread. It's a friggin gas station.
    Pretty much.

But I do like QT's.

Pretty much.

But I do like QT's.
    And 7-11 still sucks.

Eh 7-11's have free ATM machines. Oncue's are very nice but their ATMs charge you over two bucks. As far as the rest of it goes gas is gas, soda is soda and the food at either place I wouldn't touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Eh 7-11's have free ATM machines. Oncue's are very nice but their ATMs charge you over two bucks. As far as the rest of it goes gas is gas, soda is soda and the food at either place I wouldn't touch.
    The OnCue in Norman has a Transfund ATM, and I am fairly certain that there is no charge to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Oncue has free ATMs, windshield washing squeegees, card readers at the pump that actually work, lack the dire need for a power wash, and don't look like a small step obove the old Happy Foods.

But you're right, the gas is probably all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    And 7-11 still sucks.
    I don't mind them. They're definitely not the best, but I can live with them. If I could trade 7-11's with QT's, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I don't mind them. They're definitely not the best, but I can live with them. If I could trade 7-11's with QT's, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    That's like saying, "If I could trade Rosanne Barr for Giselle, I'd do it in a heartbeat." lol

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    It's absolutely true. It's a deal made with the Brown family, which owns OKC 7-Eleven, which itself is a separate company from the rest of 7-Eleven.
    Well, just out of curiosity, is that "deal" just the case in OKC? Because if I remember right, and correct me if I'm wrong on this, Dallas has 7-11, QT, and, Oncue express. If that is the case, why would they do that just here in OKC (assuming it hasn't been done somewhere else, which I'm sure it probably has)?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Well, just out of curiosity, is that "deal" just the case in OKC? Because if I remember right, and correct me if I'm wrong on this, Dallas has 7-11, QT, and, Oncue express. If that is the case, why would they do that just here in OKC (assuming it hasn't been done somewhere else, which I'm sure it probably has)?
    dallas 7-11's are not the same company as oklahoma 7-11's

Hmmm. I'll have do some research on that one. That just seems weird. They're just sharing the name I guess? I'll have to learn more about this.

Edit: I see what it is now. I guess I just didn't read Steve's post right. The Brown family, owns a chain of 7-11's completely different than the Dallas ones and wherever else. Ok, that's still weird to me, but I get now. I wonder how many other companies do that.

Hmmm. I'll have do some research on that one. That just seems weird. They're just sharing the name I guess? I'll have to learn more about this.

Edit: I see what it is now. I guess I just didn't read Steve's post right. The Brown family, owns a chain of 7-11's completely different than the Dallas ones and wherever else. Ok, that's still weird to me, but I get now. I wonder how many other companies do that.
    A friend of mine that works for them said that the Brown 7-11's have been around for about as long as the corporate 7-11 and a deal was reached at some point to allow them to use the name within certain geographic boundaries. It's probably done through some sort of licensing arrangement, and those are fairly common.

from wiki

The only independently owned 7-Eleven stores are located in the Oklahoma City, Oklahoma metropolitan area. About 125 stores are owned by the family of William C. Brown (currently run by son Jim Brown) under special arrangement with the company since 1953. William C. Brown's father was a business associate and family friend of John Thompson. "Bill" had recently graduated from the University of Notre Dame and struck out on a quest to find an area "ripe" for the concept. During his travels he met the Tulsa based QuikTrip chain owner who suggested Oklahoma City to Brown. Narrowing down the choices he decided upon Oklahoma and opened store No.1 at NW 23rd & N. Portland Avenue in Oklahoma City.[citation needed] At their inception the Thompson family were part owners of the Oklahoma City 7-Eleven stores but never the Corporation. Brown would work a shift at the original store and afterwards would scout new locations to build. The "Oh Thank Heaven for 7-Eleven" phrase was coined by the Stanford Agency the in-house ad agency for 7-Eleven (1954–1981) in 1969. These stores carry a slightly different product selection than other 7-Eleven stores in the United States. as they do not serve hot dogs or nachos. Instead, they have their own bakeries, called Seventh Heaven.[37] Also, due to this agreement, they carry a non-7-Eleven branded product in lieu of the Slurpee, the Icy Drink, which is not to be confused with the ICEE.[38] The one side effect to this arrangement is that national advertising campaigns and promotions (e.g. movie marketing tie-ins) cannot be used.

I just found that, but thanks!!!! Does that not seem odd though? idk . . . It looked like the deal is permanent. :/

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    from wiki

The only independently owned 7-Eleven stores are located in the Oklahoma City, Oklahoma metropolitan area. About 125 stores are owned by the family of William C. Brown (currently run by son Jim Brown) under special arrangement with the company since 1953. William C. Brown's father was a business associate and family friend of John Thompson. "Bill" had recently graduated from the University of Notre Dame and struck out on a quest to find an area "ripe" for the concept. During his travels he met the Tulsa based QuikTrip chain owner who suggested Oklahoma City to Brown. Narrowing down the choices he decided upon Oklahoma and opened store No.1 at NW 23rd & N. Portland Avenue in Oklahoma City.[citation needed] At their inception the Thompson family were part owners of the Oklahoma City 7-Eleven stores but never the Corporation. Brown would work a shift at the original store and afterwards would scout new locations to build. The "Oh Thank Heaven for 7-Eleven" phrase was coined by the Stanford Agency the in-house ad agency for 7-Eleven (1954–1981) in 1969. These stores carry a slightly different product selection than other 7-Eleven stores in the United States. as they do not serve hot dogs or nachos. Instead, they have their own bakeries, called Seventh Heaven.[37] Also, due to this agreement, they carry a non-7-Eleven branded product in lieu of the Slurpee, the Icy Drink, which is not to be confused with the ICEE.[38] The one side effect to this arrangement is that national advertising campaigns and promotions (e.g. movie marketing tie-ins) cannot be used.
    Why?!?! WHHHYYYYYYYYY?!?!?! (falling to my knees... fists raised to the sky)

Quote Originally Posted by NoOkie View Post
    A friend of mine that works for them said that the Brown 7-11's have been around for about as long as the corporate 7-11 and a deal was reached at some point to allow them to use the name within certain geographic boundaries. It's probably done through some sort of licensing arrangement, and those are fairly common.
    It's an interesting situation. National 7-Eleven doesn't acknowledge the Oklahoma stores at all. Search for stores near OKC on their website, and the first ones that come up are down near Wichita Falls. It's as if we don't exist!

No Slurpees, no Playboys, no lottery tickets, no QT. The Brown family is the reason why we can't have nice things. I hope OnCue eats them alive.

That's what I'm saying!!! What is the deal with that???? lol.. I have yet to find any other occasions where this has happened outside of 7-11.

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    That's like saying, "If I could trade Rosanne Barr for Giselle, I'd do it in a heartbeat." lol
    I see you got my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    It's an interesting situation. National 7-Eleven doesn't acknowledge the Oklahoma stores at all. Search for stores near OKC on their website, and the first ones that come up are down near Wichita Falls. It's as if we don't exist!

No Slurpees, no Playboys, no lottery tickets, no QT. The Brown family is the reason why we can't have nice things. I hope OnCue eats them alive.
    I don't know about taking down 7-11, but the Valero C-store at NW Highway and Brookside closed up shop a couple of weeks ago, just a few months after OnCue opened their new store across the road.

Thread Information