Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best place for meat

Default Re: Best place for meat

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Thank you for posting it. I think more people should read it before they spend extra money on what they think is kobe or wagyu beef...

I like Tuck and Metro, but im going to share this last little tidit of information (sorry tuck). Ok, restaurant owners are all about 'fresh' never frozen beef AND also dry aged beef. So you take fresh beef, then let it sit in the fridge for weeks to let the bacteria break it down and sell it for more....yuppies think about that one for awhile.

One more thing(sorry tuck). Most people dont actually get dry aged beef that they think they are buying. Making dry aged beef is extremely difficult, expensive, takes up alot of room, and you lose a lot of the steak because you have to cut off the dense dehydrated mold that forms around the steak. Most places sell what is actually wet aged beef (doesnt sound as good) which is beef that is sealed in a cryovac bag (like you get meat in at sams) and you keep it in the fridge for a few weeks. Its a lot cheaper and safer to let meat break down in a controlled bag that doesnt have oxygen in it than it is to truly dry age beef.

So think about those things the next time you sit down and enjoy that 45 dollar - Wagyu, fresh never frozen, dry aged beef filet.

I'm reposting this because i think its internet gold.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTell View Post
    Might as well demand it only drinks 'coconut water' and fed 'guacamole', while getting 'energy boosting' 'probiotics' to make it a 'superfood'.

dry aging is not that hard .. but wet aging has is now the preferred process ... either way aging beef 100% improves the tenderness and flavor of the meat

I've had it and liked it (aged beef -- I assumed it was dry, but don't know), but can't help but put it into the category of food that is improved in ways I'm not willing to accept ... like the coffee beans that have been through a rare cat's digestive track, or others.

I heard Bill Kamp's was the best meat market? I'm not really sure though.. But, If you want good price and decent meat, I'd consider Sam's Club (since, I agree with some others that good quality meat should never be frozen..) they have decent meat to put in your freezer. My mom and I have been buying beef and chicken at Sam's Club for years to marinate Korean short ribs and spicy chicken bulgogi and then put them in the freezer to thaw and cook all the time. Today, I thawed two plain chicken breasts that I got from Sam's Club months ago to make BBQ chicken sandwiches for me and my husband, and for something simple like that to eat at home.. I think it is great to have a freezer to store meat and make meals out of them! But, I'm also not a fan of frozen then cooked steak, but that's just me.. If I want a good filet mignon I'll go to the Ranch Steakhouse, but for every day cooking just go to Sam's Club and buy meat by the bulk and freeze it, lol!

We almost never eat steak so when we do, I like to buy something worth eating. I know that I'm going to get some jeers and sneers here, but the last time I did steak for a special occassion I used a couple of Angus Prime NY Strip Steaks from the meat counter at the Homeland at May and Britton. They were not inexpensive, but I think they turned out as good as any steak I've ever eaten in any restaurant or steakhouse. The cooking may have had something to do with it, but those steaks had to have been exceptional to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I know that I'm going to get some jeers and sneers here, but the last time I did steak for a special occassion I used a couple of Angus Prime NY Strip Steaks from the meat counter at the Homeland at May and Britton.
    Nothing wrong with that. IMHO I think at grocery stores with meat counters you can get better tasting meat than some of the yuppie branded steaks at the higher end grocery stores, most places just over charge you for some added buzz words. The only place i really do not like is walmart, or places that sell prepackaged meat that isnt cryovac'd. Although I will say I did get a great flank steak from Whole Foods a couple of weeks back after i found out that someone ate all of mine!

Here's what I have going on tonight. 1 inch bone in rib eye steaks, going to trim them down just a little bit, coat them them with olive oil, garlic, and cracked black pepper (always add salt last at 5-10 minutes before hand, earlier will pull out moisture) and throw them in a searing hot cast iron skillet with butter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120817_162821.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	2008

a friend swears by The Meat House in Edmond. .

The best steaks for the price are in Mustang. Their choice grade is similar to other more expensive butcher's prime cuts.

I do not think their meet has been frozen. It is mostly locally sourced from what I was told by an employee there. Either way I dont care, its darn good and I will make the 20 mile drive to mustang to load up on steaks.

Wheelers is good, and cheaper/better than supermarket cuts but hit or miss. When they have good sales on NY strip, they are good but I avoid other cuts as they are a little too fatty it seems like. (large chunks of fat).

If you have money check out the place near britton and may, Rhetts.

Quote Originally Posted by sseiyah
    The best steaks for the price are in Mustang.
    are you referring to cossey's? some freinds of mine swear by them. -M

Lots of good info in this thread. Thanks WilliamTell. What does everyone typically stock up on in an average purchase?

Out of the 1/2 cow we got this year a 1/4 of its at my parents and we have the rest in my freezer. If I had to go off memory on the 1/4th thats in my freezer....

-45 -60 bags of ground beef (typically 1lb- 1 1/2)
    -about 6-8 good sized roast (my wife and i like them, plus you can put lots of vegetables in there)(round, tip, arm)
    -2 stew meat
    -4 ribeyes
    -4 tbones
    -4 filets
    -2 ny strips
    -skirt steak
    -4 packs of fajita meat
    -6 packs of tenderized beef for chicken fried steak(cube)
    -2 beef cutlets
    -2 huge sirloins (should really been made in 4 packs) which are great. We made 1 into asian style beef and the other carneasda and both were great. this quickly becoming my go to steak. Lean, tender, flavorful if you dont over cook it.

If I remember correctly i think we paid around 800 dollars for a 1/2 cow and that included processing, that's on the cheap side. This year I wish I wouldnt of asked for so much hamburger because we dont have people over for cookouts/burgers like we once did. Plus getting older our metabolism is slowing down and my week night dinners are more along the lines of turkey sandwiches or leftovers from the weekend. Plus with little kids running around you find yourself eating more chicken nuggets that a grown man should.

I hear you on the chicken nuggets

Enjoy a nugget or two with them when they want nuggets.
    Savor real food once they are in bed.
    Graduate them beyond chicky-bites to real food early.

Let them help, in any age appropriate way possible, to make good nuggets at home.
    It will help them understand f-food stuff is for rush times, not a first choice.

If anyone has any questions on this topic, I would be happy to try and answer them. I personally raise, finish and sell 6-8 steers from my herd a year to co-workers and friends. So if you have any questions, fire away.

We visited an organic farm up in Wisconsin run by some old friends of my wife. He raises lambs, chickens and some cattle under VERY strict regulations and guidelines. He said something about grass-fed cattle having a different taste from regular beef and that some people like it and some people don't. Apparently, he has all of the business he can handle, so a lot of people must like the difference in flavor. (BTW: I hadn't seen dozens of chickens, and a few roosters, running around loose since I was a child and we'd come down here to visit my grandparents. I'm not crazy about eggs, but the eggs from these chickens were the best I've ever had.) So . . . What about that Organic, Grass-Fed Beef?

16. Default Re: Best place for meat

Current Groupon for the Edmonds, The Meat House.

The Meat House Deal of the Day | Groupon Oklahoma City

Thread Information