Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Horn Seed Company

Default Re: Horn Seed Company

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    To be clear, there are currently no plans for this site? It is just being demo'd?
    Yes, as far as I know.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    That's a very small tract, and it looks like the south/east ROWs would be almost impossible to modify.

Any material ("BLC") development would need to, at a minimum, include the Mexican restaurant tract and maybe even the piece to the west.
    I think the Housley Brothers store between the Courtyard and the demo site would be most important to acquire to build a consistent south face to the property. Also a small piece on the east end owned by View Point Holdings. The Gonzales family (Fire Place Club Inc.) has the Milagros property and I doubt would sell unless they just have to. A couple out of LA owns the IHOP property. I would guess it was probably a 1031 exchange and would create a huge tax consequence if they sell (just speculating).

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So, why do you want to tear down IHOP and the Mexican restaurant?
    I'm certain we can find higher and better use in this area. Perhaps not within the next 3 years, but surely within the next 10. When I said "Now's the perfect time" specifically I meant now's the perfect time to buy given how hard this whole thing is going to hit restaurants. Might as well bring all the land together now while it's still relatively cost effective.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I'm certain we can find higher and better use in this area. Perhaps not within the next 3 years, but surely within the next 10. When I said "Now's the perfect time" specifically I meant now's the perfect time to buy given how hard this whole thing is going to hit restaurants. Might as well bring all the land together now while it's still relatively cost effective.
    I have a better idea.... let's help local business owners who are hit hard stay in business instead of taking advantage of their difficulty and trying to be vultures so we can put up new buildings some people may like.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I have a better idea.... let's help local business owners who are hit hard stay in business instead of taking advantage of their difficulty and trying to be vultures so we can put up new buildings some people may like.
    IHOP is not exactly local.

I don't know much about Milagros. If it's a place worth keeping, then it's a place worth keeping and I don't imagine they'll struggle to bounce back after this is all over, especially with as much as we love Tex-Mex in Oklahoma + the general lack of Tex-Mex options in the immediate area. I might mention that I live 5 blocks away and I think I've been one time in 10-11 years and generally I don't hear much about the place. I've always just kind of assumed the place is on the later stages of its life cycle, but maybe it benefits greatly from the three hotels in their backyard.

I don't know much about Milagros. If it's a place worth keeping, then it's a place worth keeping and I don't imagine they'll struggle to bounce back after this is all over, especially with as much as we love Tex-Mex in Oklahoma + the general lack of Tex-Mex options in the immediate area. I might mention that I live 5 blocks away and I think I've been one time in 10-11 years and generally I don't hear much about the place. I've always just kind of assumed the place is on the later stages of its life cycle, but maybe it benefits greatly from the three hotels in their backyard.
    Doesn't sound like they're very good, way more 1-star reviews (that detail why they only gave it 1 star, as opposed to the 5-star reviews that just say "Big margs, great salsa, delicious food, go there" ) than any decent restaurant should have.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/casa-de-los...t_by=date_desc

Lived two miles away from Milagros for nearly two years, worked in one of the offices buildings on NW Expressway for over four, and never went there either lol

I think we sometimes (often) make the mistake in OKC of thinking every new development has to be HUGE and require the assembly of lots of land. Wipe away existing structures...think grand thoughts... a la Chisholm Creek, OAK, University North Park, but also that failed development north of Quail Springs, etc. Some of that has its place, sure, but it's also possible to take just this 3 acres of land that already exists and do some kind of nice, mid-rise mixed use building. I don't even think it needs retail...we're about to have a glut of retail. Let's fill in some space and add to the density.

You realize, I say "let's" and "we" as if I, or anybody on this board actually owns the land. But I'm tired of thinking about COVID and poisoned by all of those posts over there and it's nice to dream about development again...

Blog Entries

It’s true, the property owners of the Ihop property is a California couple. Since IHOP is unlikely to go under, it’s probably safe to assume the plan for hoping they are stressed so we can buy the property and tear it down isn’t going to work. Darn.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    I think we sometimes (often) make the mistake in OKC of thinking every new development has to be HUGE and require the assembly of lots of land. Wipe away existing structures...think grand thoughts... a la Chisholm Creek, OAK, University North Park, but also that failed development north of Quail Springs, etc. Some of that has its place, sure, but it's also possible to take just this 3 acres of land that already exists and do some kind of nice, mid-rise mixed use building. I don't even think it needs retail...we're about to have a glut of retail. Let's fill in some space and add to the density.

You realize, I say "let's" and "we" as if I, or anybody on this board actually owns the land. But I'm tired of thinking about COVID and poisoned by all of those posts over there and it's nice to dream about development again...
    To be sure, I'm decidedly in the camp of your opening statement. That being said, IMO, thoroughfares do better with more contiguous development, and if we're serious about the Streetcar passing right through here, it would be great to see everything on these corners maximized.

Just a comment, not much really to do with Horn Seed, but I just remembered when the Classen Circle was there and Big Beef BBQ was right there, used to love eating lunch there.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Lived two miles away from Milagros for nearly two years, worked in one of the offices buildings on NW Expressway for over four, and never went there either lol
    Ate there 3 times. First time they served me enchiladas that were still frozen in the middle. I waited a few months and went with co-workers that LOVED it (for some reason). The chips were stale and the meal was mediocre. Waited a year and tried a third time. Ordered a shrimp dish. Worst food I've ever had. Needless to say I won't ever be back.

I won't support local business with this type of quality.

Completely gone now:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The property is actually over 3 acres:

Who owns the small parcel on the NW corner of Classen and NW Expy? Can't see it having enough room to be independently useful for much.

^

It used to be Housley Brothers furniture but is now for lease.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

It used to be Housley Brothers furniture but is now for lease.
    I think he meant the small triangle that currently has a billboard on it. Which I would say is probably the most useful use of the piece of property, a billboard or other paid advertising.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I think he meant the small triangle that currently has a billboard on it. Which I would say is probably the most useful use of the piece of property, a billboard or other paid advertising.
    That's owned by "View Point Holdings", an Oklahoma City llc. I think they got it from the OK Highway Dept. almost 15 years ago. Not totally sure, but I think it is a guy out of Dallas in the restaurant business. Jeff Harrison.

Chick-fil-A has filed plans to build on this property.

Blog Entries

Prepare for madness at that intersection

Wonder if they'll sell the excess stuff in the back or just have a gigantic parking lot.

Disappointed. That's a very high-profile piece of land. I would have hoped for something more substantive for that piece of property than a fast food restaurant,

boo!

If I had to guess, Chick-fil-A is just going on the pad site fronting NWX. Everything else is still in play. Chick-fil-A is in the chicken business, not the real estate business. They have no need for all of the property. They may not even be buying the land. Tons of fast food restaurants just lease land and build improvements. When the lease is over, the landlord keeps the improvements and the restaurant's hands are clean of the real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    Disappointed. That's a very high-profile piece of land. I would have hoped for something more substantive for that piece of property than a fast food restaurant,
    Totally agree. What a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Prepare for madness at that intersection

Wonder if they'll sell the excess stuff in the back or just have a gigantic parking lot.
    This general area is already terrible due to the OnCue. I would almost hope that Chick-fil-A would build next to the IHOP, but I'm sure that's unlikely.

Blog Entries

seems silly to do that, might as well split the property and sell the land for another hotel back there.

Thread Information