Widgets Magazine

Thread: Sewer Backups

Default Sewer Backups

Several houses on my street and in my neighborhood, built in '67-'68, near Lake Hefner, have recently had sewer backups, i.e., raw sewage coming up through the drains and toilets and such in seemingly isolated houses, but in recent weeks, 4 houses on my street and in the past year at least two other additional houses in the neighborhood and probably more.

1) What can be done to prevent this; and

2) Who should I call at the City so we can have them out here to ensure that their sewer lines are in order.

This is pretty scary stuff as even though I have homeowner's insurance and even additional flooding insurance, my policies all specifically exclude this kind of event. What can be done?

Default Re: Sewer Backups

New houses in OKC are require to have check valves to keep the flow one way because this use to be more of an issue, probably could have one installed

3. Default Re: Sewer Backups

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    New houses in OKC are require to have check valves to keep the flow one way because this use to be more of an issue, probably could have one installed
    +1 - Also called a backwater prevention valve. Put one in a condo I had because you can often suffer the repercussions of your neighbor's bad plumbing habits.

Any plumber recs?

5. Default Re: Sewer Backups

My favorite plumber is Chad Douma with Water Boys Plumbing 405-735-3210.

Found him on Angie's List a few years ago (really good reviews) and have used him ever since. Friendly, honest and fair.

Sewer Trivia:
    Back in the late '80s, I framed a house on an acreage, far southeast, almost to Stella, in one of those mysterious corners of The OKC Metro Sprawl/Land Grab. The house had a septic system. The Oklahoma City Plumbing Inspector required the owner to install a backflow prevention valve on the tight-line to the tank (located well away from and appropriately downhill from the residence).

At the time I thought it was ridiculous.
    In fact, it was a great example of Future Urban Planning.

I'm not a plumber (far from it) but I think that by '67 they (the sewer guys) had gotten away from using "Orangeburg": "The Wave o' The Future for The Forties" for residential sewer lines so your yard line probably isn't collapsing.

Are there a lot of trees in the neighborhood?
    Roots like to find their way into the tiniest cracks in the pipe joints and congregate.
    They especially love the joints at the transitions between the house line and the main.
    Sometime sharp turns are involved and with our "active soil" and earthquakes an opening could have been provided.
    But as I said, I'm not a plumber.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    anyone know when this requirement was put in to effect? my house was built in 1997 and I don't know if I have one or not. Could be an easy install if I need to do it.

Unfortunately if the roots are getting in on your property, it's on you and the city doesn't have to do anything. If it's a problem with the entire street, you could have a beef, the city could camera the main along your street.

You should be able to tell by looking around your back yard near the house, if you have two pipes sticking up with covers about two feet apart with an access point in the middle similar to the water main for the house you ought to have one.

Closest I could find to a picture of a finished one on google

Attached Images Attached Images  

9. Default Re: Sewer Backups

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    anyone know when this requirement was put in to effect? my house was built in 1997 and I don't know if I have one or not. Could be an easy install if I need to do it.

Unfortunately if the roots are getting in on your property, it's on you and the city doesn't have to do anything. If it's a problem with the entire street, you could have a beef, the city could camera the main along your street.
    Late 70s or early 80s. All the houses I was wiring in the early 80s had them by then. Snowmans picture is good. But, many of the access covers end up slightly below ground by the time fill and sod are put down. Mine are a couple inches below ground level.

I did contact the city and they're going to inspect their system. Nothing has happened to me yet, but I'm having a backwater prevention valve installed today for around $750. That's chump change compared to what some of my neighbors are having to pay to repair their homes after being infiltrated by raw sewage.

That is a very wise move, sir. Very wise, indeed.
    (i wonder if The City ever got around to running sewer lines out there by Stella)

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I did contact the city and they're going to inspect their system. Nothing has happened to me yet, but I'm having a backwater prevention valve installed today for around $750. That's chump change compared to what some of my neighbors are having to pay to repair their homes after being infiltrated by raw sewage.
    Backflow preventers are a good idea only if you are below the next upstream manhole. In fact, if your fixture heights are above the level of the next manhole the Residential Code prohibits installing backflow preventers because of the possibility at they can cause sewer gas to back up and potentially explode. Section P3008 of the 2012 IRC, but has been in the Rsidential and Plumbing Codes for years.

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic..._30_sec008.htm

Remember though, that backflow preventers are devices that require maintenance in order to operate properly. They need to be served by a plumber every few years or they can easily cause sewer backups by becoming obstructed or slipping into the closed position. These valves are not simply one way check valves as another poster indicated, they are a little more complex and have moving parts that need to be exercised and lubricated and plastic parts that degrade overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by easternobserver View Post
    Backflow preventers are a good idea only if you are below the next upstream manhole. In fact, if your fixture heights are above the level of the next manhole the Residential Code prohibits installing backflow preventers because of the possibility at they can cause sewer gas to back up and potentially explode. Section P3008 of the 2012 IRC, but has been in the Rsidential and Plumbing Codes for years.

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic..._30_sec008.htm

Remember though, that backflow preventers are devices that require maintenance in order to operate properly. They need to be served by a plumber every few years or they can easily cause sewer backups by becoming obstructed or slipping into the closed position. These valves are not simply one way check valves as another poster indicated, they are a little more complex and have moving parts that need to be exercised and lubricated and plastic parts that degrade overtime.
    I'm pretty sure we are. Our line flows behind the house and the house behind us is a good 4 feet above ours and the hill keeps going. To be honest, I haven't tried to locate the next manhole, but it would almost have to be above our grade. I'd think that's something my plumber would have had to check?

How often would you recommend maintenance?

My mothers house was built in 1963 and used orangeberg. They had a lot of trees in the back yard, and by 1977 the roots had completely clogged the pipe. I spent the weekend with my dad digging that old line out and replaced with PVC schedule 40. Has not had a problem since.

I believe if you have orangeberg, they'd need to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    That is a very wise move, sir. Very wise, indeed.
    (i wonder if The City ever got around to running sewer lines out there by Stella)
    Nope. OKC sewer lines end somewhere around Air Depot or Douglas and I-240 going southeast. If there are any further east than Douglas, I don't know where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    My mothers house was built in 1963 and used orangeberg. They had a lot of trees in the back yard, and by 1977 the roots had completely clogged the pipe. I spent the weekend with my dad digging that old line out and replaced with PVC schedule 40. Has not had a problem since.

I believe if you have orangeberg, they'd need to replace it.
    We checked and there were chunks of orangeberg buried near the PVC pipe, so we're good there.

If you suspect a backup taking place in your house or yard or have questions, contact the OKC Utilities emergency dispatch @ 405-297-3334. They are available 24/7 365 days a year.

One thought for you would be to consider checking your homeowers insurance policy. You will want to look to make sure you have an endorsement called "Water Backup" or "Backup of Drains". Most home policies are written in such a way that should you not have the endorsement, your policy will automatically decline any claim involving such an event.

I'm an insurance agent in the OKC/Edmond area. If you have any questions send me a email.

RockarStockar

Thread Information