Widgets Magazine

Thread: Mid-Del Prototype Elementary School Renderings

1. Default Re: Mid-Del Prototype Elementary School Renderings

So 3rd, 4th, 5th on the second floor. I'm glad to see a multi-level structure, to be honest. It's a much more efficient design for exterior costs...like those lovely roofs mid-del is having to replace every year. And speaking of that, glad to see a NON-flat roof for a change too. Whoever designed flat roofs was a moron.

It's a totally new world for Mid-Del with these new schools, and it's long overdue. I, for one, am very glad that East Side was one of the sites chosen. When i heard Soldier Creek was chosen as well, I sort of thought "well of course it was. why should that school ever not get something".

2. Default Re: Mid-Del Prototype Elementary School Renderings

Can't say much, I went to both. lol

http://www.lwpb.com/#portfolio/on_th...blic%20Schools

^ Another link to the Architects website.

3. Default Re: Mid-Del Prototype Elementary School Renderings

Anyone know if East Side is going to face Midwest now or still face Key? Since they are building on the old baseball fields, it would seem weird for it to face Key still, but you also get the benefit of not having to face a high traffic road if you still face Key. Downside is it makes for an odd playground/parking lot layout.

Default Re: Mid-Del Prototype Elementary School Renderings

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    When i heard Soldier Creek was chosen as well, I sort of thought "well of course it was. why should that school ever not get something".
    THIS. My wife and I were discussing the very same thing last night. I am a Townsend product and she is new Mid-Del teacher and neither of us could quite understand why Soldier Creek was the beneficiery of a brand spanking new school when theirs is in pretty solid shape compared to some others in the district. We assumed it was due to being located in a higher income area. True?

5. Default Re: Mid-Del Prototype Elementary School Renderings

Before we get on that band wagon, understand that Eastern OK County and Eastern Midwest City for that matter (Where Soldier Creek is Located) is growing exponentially and the room necessary to take in this population increase in elementary school children (Yes I understand that not all new residents have school aged children). So why Soldier Creek and not Schwartz or Barnes for that matter? Is it because their physical locations are not in Midwest City? Will these be the only schools being built a-new? Are there future plans? Will we need to wait and see each school upgraded selectively?

A big reason is because Soldier Creek now sits right on a major corner (15th & Douglas). For safety reasons the school needed to be moved back away from corner for the safety of the kids, teachers and the parents/buses dropping off & picking up the kids.

Plus most of the growth is out that way for families with school age children. Barnes & Schwartz are quite a bit smaller schools and the need for larger schools isn't there as of yet.

It's pretty simple. Soldier Creek is currently busting at the seams and the other schools are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    . Soldier Creek is currently busting at the seams and the other schools are not.
    I'm not fully informed on all matters Mid-Del, so forgive me if I'm wrong on some things, but...Isnt Parkview busting at the seems? With the largest enrollment of any Mid-Del Elem? And this WITH a new Apartment Complex being built off I-240 that seemingly falls within its expanded lines? Lines that cover SE 44th to SE 81st, from Sunnylane to Air Depot? And again, correct me if I'm wrong, but Soldier Creek isnt the only school on a busy street, Traub and Sooner Rose come to mind. So, I'm not saying there is NO good reason for Soldier Creek to have been selected to receive a new building, I'm just curious what some of the factors going into that decision were? It seems, on the surface, that Soldier Creek gets some preferential treatment....thats the rumor anyway. And just one drive-by of the schools in the area points towards Soldier Creek looking pretty updated on the outside (and inside from what I've heard) compared to other schools.

8. Default Re: Mid-Del Prototype Elementary School Renderings

In Soldier Creek's defense, that school has had a portable building city in the back for 25 years. They had a SMALL structure built to put in some new classrooms, but not enough to remove all the temp structures. That being said, i still feel like if anything ever happens in the district, they just HAVE to touch that school. It's like they think it farts gold or something. How quickly they forget that the elementaries on the other side of Douglas are the ones that have the history of pumping out national merit finalists. The year after I graduated from MCHS, there were 7 at MCHS that had come from Cleveland Bailey, not counting the rest from the other MCHS feeders. The oh so precious CA side didn't have anything close to that....but of course they're special....because winning stuff in 5A makes you special. <-sorry, venting.

I feel like some district lines could be adjusted on the east side to shuffle kids to different schools though. Shwartz is really too far away to have an impact on SC. But Barnes really could absorb some of the load....especially since that's where the growth is happening. Growth near SC is minimal in comparison...and also very limited in how much it CAN grow in comparison.

The city lines don't have anything to do with this. It was a district bond issue, not a city one. Del City Elem. is being expanded as part of it. As I understand it, County Estates is also getting some expansion work done.

9. Default Re: Mid-Del Prototype Elementary School Renderings

Quote Originally Posted by narrowexpanded View Post
    And again, correct me if I'm wrong, but Soldier Creek isnt the only school on a busy street, Traub and Sooner Rose come to mind.
    http://newsok.com/mid-del-board-sell...rticle/3557737

The city lines don't have anything to do with this. It was a district bond issue, not a city one.
    I know city lines have nothing to do with it, but it's Midwest City, lets not kid ourselves on that one.

10. Default Re: Mid-Del Prototype Elementary School Renderings

Sooner Rose and Traub are also smaller, and didn't have a large amount of land attached to them like East Side and SC. Hence, no where to build onto the structure. The land near Traub is owned by Rose State, the land near Sooner Rose is owned by various other groups. Being smaller schools, it's easier to absorb their population into the new larger East Side and Del City Elem.

I don't know that I buy the MWC/DC/OKC thing. As i said, Del City Elem is getting a large addition, Epperly Heights (one of the larger elem) has had a lot of work done lately as well. Places like Parkview are much newer and nicer than most of the MWC ones. Hell, even DCHS is in better shape than MCHS. But you also have to consider the fact that the student population on the DC side is on a decline. That's why DC is now a 5A school with CA. It's a bottom-up decline, so the first schools to see the decline are the elementary schools...then that decrease filters up to the high school level, causing the class drop. It's a trend that's been around for really 20 years. It had been a slow trend, but picked up very quickly in the last 10 years....about the length of time one class of kids takes to go through the system. You figure out why there was such a drastic sudden change, and you'll win a prize from the board. Especially since it doesn't really coincide with anything in the area.....like may 3rd or something.

barnes and schwartz continue to have great test scores, so something is going right there. You don't get that if you aren't supported by your district. Both are small schools though. But both have doubled in size with new construction in the last 20 years as well. Remember Schwartz was annexed, and only grew AFTER being added to Mid-Del to where it is now. Both schools are also land-locked in a very small plot of land. If either of them are going to have major work done, they're going to have to move to a new plot. That's a major bond for either one of them...and today, the rural population around either of them doesn't warrant it. If wouldn't make sense to build a new school for them yet because they wouldn't be able to fill it...no matter how much you shuffle lines.

12. Default Re: Mid-Del Prototype Elementary School Renderings

OK, so I saw on the Mid-Del website that they aren't going to name the new school at East Side the same name, but rather Midwest City Elementary....

That sort of annoys me a bit. After 70+ years, why change the name? Just because Traub and Sooner Rose are closing, and West Side already did, why does that mean East Side needs to change. I sure bet they won't be changing Soldier Creek's name. I went to East Side way back in the day, and am proud to say I was an East Side Jet. It's a school that doesn't get the credit it deserves. Ugh....

New "East Side" renamed to Midwest City Elementary

OK, so I saw on the Mid-Del website that they aren't going to name the new school at East Side the same name, but rather Midwest City Elementary....

That sort of annoys me a bit. After 70+ years, why change the name? Just because Traub and Sooner Rose are closing, and West Side already did, why does that mean East Side needs to change. I sure bet they won't be changing Soldier Creek's name. I went to East Side way back in the day, and am proud to say I was an East Side Jet. It's a school that doesn't get the credit it deserves. Ugh....

New "East Side" renamed to Midwest City Elementary
    Like a bunch ^! Both daughters sad that Jets will be no more - sad to lose that legacy of the oldest continuous elementary school.

14. Default Re: Mid-Del Prototype Elementary School Renderings

Well, I started out at East Side in kindergarten, promoted from elementary to jr. high at Soldier Creek, 7th grade at Jarman, and the rest a CA Titan... I got pride for them all.

Can they at least be Midwest City Jet's? Keep the theme i suppose.

Thread Information