Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Westbury golf course

Default Westbury golf course

So has the terrible owner decided to sell the course in acre lots? Wish he would just sell it to an investment group to have it brought back to life?

Default Re: Westbury golf course

The section that includes the driving range and the area east of the clubhouse along Morgan road is zoned R-1. Doesn't seem like its ever been platted out so I'm not sure that is the area for sale.

More likely I would imagine the signs may be for the upcoming additions of Castlebrook Crossing at SW 29th and Sara Rd. That is being developed now and would have some lots that back up to the golf course.

With the amount of housing being built in that area and no other golf courses in the immediate area, a smart investor could put minimal money into it and have a thriving business.

I'm 100% sure it's Westbury Country Club selling the land. I saw Mr. Hann (Westbury CC owner) hanging one of the signs along SW 29th. They're selling 20 to 200 acres for $19,500/ acre. It seems like a good deal per acre but I'm not sure if 20 acres is the minimum. I do know that anything the owner has done in the past is done half a$$ and cuts as many corners as possible. Also, I can't tell if the area east of the clubhouse along Morgan road is 200 acres. It seems small to be that size but I'm bad about visual judging land size.

Well here is what I have been told. They are wanting to sell the Front 9 and turn it into just a 9 hole course. Take it for what it's worth, but this truly sucks! Sell the entire CC you cheap ass!

As of this morning Westbury Golf Course is closed for business. A search on the web revealed that Han (Westbury Inc.) filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy on 05/02/2013, which is nothing more than a business reorganization. I can't believe the man thinks he can still save the course. Hopefully the court system will force him to liquidate. According to court documents he owes more than 1.3 million to various debtors.

I agree that with a minimal investment it could be something. I feel like that place has been run down for awhile which is a shame.

Finally... maybe something good will come out of this. I live on the course and have been hpoping that maybe by the grace of God that it turns around and will be under new ownership. It has a great layout and is in a good area... alot of new construction going on around in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by cxl144 View Post
    no other golf courses in the immediate area
    Unless you count the Links at Mustang Creek which is an executive (9-hole) golf course near S.W. 15th and Mustang.

Looks like he was successful in selling off the front 9 for a housing development. The back nine (which the Westbury homes are on) has gone into foreclosure. Hopefully there's still a chance someone will buy it and bring it back. The 18 hole course is history. The new housing development is set to be approved by the Oklahoma City Council on September 26th.

I just saw this article earlier. I have a feeling it's going to end up going through. I feel for those residents in Westbury.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I just saw this article earlier. I have a feeling it's going to end up going through. I feel for those residents in Westbury.
    I don't. They're just complaining. Don't move into suburb next to a major metropolitan area and not expect to see the vacant land next you developed. Almost every development here in Edmond-esp with NIMBYS- is like a record. More traffic, more crime, more noise, decreased property values, leave the land and don't ever build anything blah blah blah.

^^^^^ What he said only expect it to get worse when cities become more strapped for funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I don't. They're just complaining. Don't move into suburb next to a major metropolitan area and not expect to see the vacant land next you developed. Almost every development here in Edmond-esp with NIMBYS- is like a record. More traffic, more crime, more noise, decreased property values, leave the land and don't ever build anything blah blah blah.
    I was referring to the golf course being developed. I think when most people move next to a golf course, they don't expect them to put dinky houses on holes 1 and 9. As for the vacant land, that's a gimme that at some point it's going to turn into something.

[QUOTE=Plutonic Panda;687044]I don't. They're just complaining. Don't move into suburb next to a major metropolitan area and not expect to see the vacant land next you developed. Almost every development here in Edmond-esp with NIMBYS- is like a record. More traffic, more crime, more noise, decreased property values, leave the land and don't ever build anything blah blah blah.

No one interviewed said they didn't want homes. They want bigger homes than 1200 square feet, and building on the golf course is very unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    No one interviewed said they didn't want homes. They want bigger homes than 1200 square feet, and building on the golf course is very unfortunate.
    I must of missed where they are building on the actual golf course. I understand if that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I must of missed where they are building on the actual golf course. I understand if that is the case.
    I think that's really what the problem is. People are wanting it to stay an 18 hole golf course and be turned over or sold to someone that will put some investment in it. Build small homes on it instead is kind of tacky.

Mr. Han sold holes 1 and 9 to build homes on. That pretty much ruins the entire course. I guess someone might buy a 9 hole course, but unlikely. It's a very sad situation for the people who have paid a lot of money to own a home on the golf course, and it's such a shame this once beautiful course is coming to end in this way.

Seems to me that if the locals supported the golf course it wouldn't have come to this. Should have been a clue when the restaurant/club house closed years ago. I don't feel bad for anyone but the person (Mr Han) whose investment went South.

Han chased all the golfers off whenever they asked why he wasn't keeping the course up. He deserves to lose every dime he ever invested. He obviously has no business sense whatsoever. Who in the world would take a 2 million golf course, and run it completely in the ground by running all of your customers off? He's lost everything and that is the way it should be. In my opinion, building homes on this property will be a huge credit compared to what it looks like now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    Han chased all the golfers off whenever they asked why he wasn't keeping the course up. He deserves to lose every dime he ever invested. He obviously has no business sense whatsoever. Who in the world would take a 2 million golf course, and run it completely in the ground by running all of your customers off? He's lost everything and that is the way it should be. In my opinion, building homes on this property will be a huge credit compared to what it looks like now.
    I know that there are two sides to that story. Doesn't take genius to realize that had the course been making the money it was when he bought the place it would have been kept up. The clubhouse lost money. The restaurant lost money. He kept it up as well as could be expected but rising costs & decining revenues forced the latest actions.

The course would have continued making huge revenue if it had been properly managed. You can't cuss out customers and expect to stay in business. Not one or two customers, hundreds of customers. He deserves to lose everything. He earned it. End of story.

More info on this situation. Doesn't look promising.

Mustang Times, Hundreds of Westbury residents petition against development

24. Default Re: Westbury golf course

I will say that I don't know much about the situation. but the article says that people are against the development because "residents say they are concerned that the proposed lot and home sizes would affect their property values. White said he planned on having 1,300-1,500 square-foot homes built on the plat."

Just looking at Zillow at surrounding neighborhoods these new houses would be slightly smaller that the surrounding neighborhoods. Its not like they are 5000 sq foot houses and these will be the filler.

I guess it just comes down to would you rather have an empty golf course that gets overrun with weeds and wildlife over time (which would seem to have negative affect on housing market) or have new homes going in. I dunno, just kind of interesting to think about why there is so much uproar.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    I will say that I don't know much about the situation. but the article says that people are against the development because "residents say they are concerned that the proposed lot and home sizes would affect their property values. White said he planned on having 1,300-1,500 square-foot homes built on the plat."

Just looking at Zillow at surrounding neighborhoods these new houses would be slightly smaller that the surrounding neighborhoods. Its not like they are 5000 sq foot houses and these will be the filler.

I guess it just comes down to would you rather have an empty golf course that gets overrun with weeds and wildlife over time (which would seem to have negative affect on housing market) or have new homes going in. I dunno, just kind of interesting to think about why there is so much uproar.
    I think part of it is a snob factor. Living next to an overrun golf course in some peoples opinion is better than living next to lower income people who 'bring' their bad habits with them. Not necessarily my opinion, but something I've heard from people in the area.

Thread Information