Widgets Magazine

Thread: A new Grand Boulevard.

Default A new Grand Boulevard.

With most of the original Grand Boulevard concept left incomplete or plowed under by the interstates, I think it would be nice to have a meandering boulevard, tree lined bike paths, maybe widened medians at times with parks or pools. I know it would be impossible but it would be a nice feature to have.

Default Re: A new Grand Boulevard.

Classen and/or Lincoln would be the best bets.

Both have more lanes than they need, have large medians, and some existing parkland.

Yeah both would be a good start. Northern Classen is a wasteland if no major development. I always thought lower classen would have been tied into the new I40 but in more of an idealist, ODOT has to do their thing.

Either way a Classen Blvd strategy is needed. It is a great opportunity that has seen virtually no new development since the 1960s. On Doug's blog there was an awesome aerial photo of the entire Classen corridor and it was amazing to me how much as unchanged, sans the recent demo by 13th and the Walgreens/Eckerd fiasco.

I'm not sure where on Classen you think there are more lanes than needed, Pete, but it's not at NW 23rd. The ADT there is well over 40,000 cars a day. Not exactly the best location for pools, parks and meandering bike paths

6. Default Re: A new Grand Boulevard.

Maybe not at NW 23rd, But I would eliminate a lane in both directions south of 16th.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    I'm not sure where on Classen you think there are more lanes than needed, Pete, but it's not at NW 23rd. The ADT there is well over 40,000 cars a day. Not exactly the best location for pools, parks and meandering bike paths
    No, but being a major n/s thoroughfare it is a great place for a bike path/segregated bike lane. Parks can go anywhere if they're set back some.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    The intersection has about 40k, but not the street itself. ACOG (http://acogok.org/Programs_and_Servi...TrafficCounts/) counted 22,300 in 2010 on Classen at 28th, and 20,500 on 23rd at Classen in 2012. Many of the busier major arterials (N May, 63rd, 122nd) have between 18,000 and 24,000 and none of them are 6 lanes plus turn lanes like Classen.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Either way a Classen Blvd strategy is needed. It is a great opportunity that has seen virtually no new development since the 1960s. On Doug's blog there was an awesome aerial photo of the entire Classen corridor and it was amazing to me how much as unchanged, sans the recent demo by 13th and the Walgreens/Eckerd fiasco.
    could you post the link?

Quote Originally Posted by okcustu View Post
    could you post the link?
    Here you go:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=30362

You know, Classen could really provide a much-needed multi-modal transit and recreational link to all the great older neighborhoods on either side of it and also bridge in the near northwest side.

If that boulevard could include biking and pedestrian paths with nice parks -- Memorial plus some pocket parks -- and maybe even the street car (yes, yes, I know there used to be one there -- it makes me want to weep to think about) then it would be a funnel to and from the central core into that whole side of town.

Looking at my friend google earth, I can almost see a traffic circle connecting lower classen with exchange avenue and the new boulevard. That would connect the stockyards district to downtown and uptown.

and Reno, Shartel and Western?

The most recent Council meeting indicates that ODOT is going to make the Boulevard as much of a clusterf*** as the new Crosstown (going from 6 downtown exits to 2 etc). At no point has anyone explained WHY there is even a need for a new Boulevard that using an existing street couldn't serve just as well. Save multi-millions and put a stop the this mistake that we will have to live with for decades NOW.

I agree, Reno would do the job, its wide as hell by the time you get to the fairgrounds anyway. I think there is enough concrete in the two exits to make six, maybe they just read the plans wrong.

you have I 240 and I35 as well as the broadway extension serving the south and east sides of the downtown area Reno will one day not exist between robinson and gaylord making rendering reno useless as a way to get around downtown. the new expressway will provide access to the downtown area better than any road we have had down there in the last 40 years we will end up with what is essentially a business loop of I40 through down town OKC that will spur developement for decades to come on both sides of the river and may also help in cleaning up that wasteland to the west of downtown. I bet you 235 and current I40 exits are a clusterbuster in rush hour cause there is no immediate access to 40 other than 235 or driving through the ghetto the stop and go traffic on those 2 lane roads don't move people to the parking garages or out of downtown efficiently at all. driving to or from I40 to downtown just flat out sucks.

I just wonder when the city plans on widening MacAurther between 23rd and reno. Reno could use some widening as well between council and may to provide better access to those shopping centers and the fairgrounds now that reno will be more utilized on the west side of downtown to meridian maybe widen it all the way to where it meets up with the proposed crosstown expressway

17. Default Re: A new Grand Boulevard.

I'm not even going to bother...other than posting this:

Quote Originally Posted by 1972ford View Post
    you have I 240 and I35 as well as the broadway extension serving the south and east sides of the downtown area Reno will one day not exist between robinson and gaylord making rendering reno useless as a way to get around downtown. the new expressway will provide access to the downtown area better than any road we have had down there in the last 40 years we will end up with what is essentially a business loop of I40 through down town OKC that will spur developement for decades to come on both sides of the river and may also help in cleaning up that wasteland to the west of downtown. I bet you 235 and current I40 exits are a clusterbuster in rush hour cause there is no immediate access to 40 other than 235 or driving through the ghetto the stop and go traffic on those 2 lane roads don't move people to the parking garages or out of downtown efficiently at all. driving to or from I40 to downtown just flat out sucks.

I just wonder when the city plans on widening MacAurther between 23rd and reno. Reno could use some widening as well between council and may to provide better access to those shopping centers and the fairgrounds now that reno will be more utilized on the west side of downtown to meridian maybe widen it all the way to where it meets up with the proposed crosstown expressway
    I'm not sure I understood anything you said there and what I do understands makes no practical sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 1972ford View Post

Sorry, but you may want to move on to Tulsa and play frisbie golf..........

Here’s a new idea – put the Boulevard underground from Compress to Walker. Under the BNSF tracks, intersecting below-grade with ramps leading to Shields/Gaylord, serving the Arena parking garage and the new convention center via it’s underground parking garage (a la the Cox Center). Pedestrians can walk unobstructed from the new convention center to Central Park; underground parking would provide access to the Myriad Gardens as well. All the vaunted new retail business activity along the Boulevard would be built either in South Bricktown or west of Walker. It wouldn’t be cheap for those brief blocks, but it solves several problems, and there’s enough room to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ophitke38 View Post
    Here’s a new idea – put the Boulevard underground from Compress to Walker. Under the BNSF tracks, intersecting below-grade with ramps leading to Shields/Gaylord, serving the Arena parking garage and the new convention center via it’s underground parking garage (a la the Cox Center). Pedestrians can walk unobstructed from the new convention center to Central Park; underground parking would provide access to the Myriad Gardens as well. All the vaunted new retail business activity along the Boulevard would be built either in South Bricktown or west of Walker. It wouldn’t be cheap for those brief blocks, but it solves several problems, and there’s enough room to do it.
    The "Big Dig", part II. LOL

Thread Information