Widgets Magazine

Thread: OKC Wiki Page

Default OKC Wiki Page

Immediately at the beginning of the page is this: (Pawnee: Uukuhuuwasiri). What's the significance of this entry? Oklahoma is derived from the Choctaw language. It's also on the Oklahoma wike page. Just curious.

Default Re: OKC Wiki Page

Quote Originally Posted by rjstone208 View Post
    Immediately at the beginning of the page is this: (Pawnee: Uukuhuuwasiri). What's the significance of this entry? Oklahoma is derived from the Choctaw language. It's also on the Oklahoma wike page. Just curious.
    Southband Pawnee Dictionary - uukuhuuwasiri N 1. Oklahoma City

*Edit to add: OKCTalk Thread - Introducing the Endangered Languages Project

http://www.endangeredlanguages.com/lang/1536
    Critically endangered

<10
    Native speakers worldwide

Thanks, especially about the Endangered Languages Project. I'm a blue-eyed CDIB carrying Cherokee and my wife a greater percentage Chickasaw who both try to learn our native ancestors' lanuages. My father's parents came from England and that native language gives me enough problems.

Thanks for bringing this up, rjstone208! I was also wondering when I saw that on OKC's Wikipedia page. I'm 9/32 Choctaw and have a Choctaw CDIB, I'm also 1/4 Navajo and 1/32 Cherokee. My maternal grandmother's and late paternal grandfather's first language are both Choctaw, and while growing up I learned a great deal of words and phrases from them and learned even more when I took a Choctaw language class in high school. But, even after all of these years of exposure to the language, I am still nowhere near as fluent as they are/were. One of the first words I learned was in fact "Okla Humma," which is the Choctaw word to describe the Native American race as a whole.

BTW, I made the OKC collage on the Wikipedia page. :-)

5. Default Re: OKC Wiki Page

I love the OKC collage on the Wiki page. However, I feel like collectively we could do better to improve the page. Like it or not, many people - particularly those under 30 use Wikipedia constantly and it can create an awesome or awful first impression of a city.

I've looked at a few comparable cities that seem to have better organization, emphasis on city culture, and most importantly a heck of a lot more positive pictures of the city presented. Let's catch up!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisville,_Kentucky
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus,_Ohio
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksonville,_Florida
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacramento,_California

6. Default Re: OKC Wiki Page

Hi, guys
    I haven't ever been in Oklahoma. Don't be angry, I always thought that it belongs to the category of so called 'province'.
    I read OKC's Wiki Page and I found out a lot of new things about this city. It has so many beautiful and interesting buildings.
    I really began to think about visiting it.

Quote Originally Posted by wellm View Post
    Hi, guys
    I haven't ever been in Oklahoma. Don't be angry, I always thought that it belongs to the category of so called 'province'.
    I read OKC's Wiki Page and I found out a lot of new things about this city. It has so many beautiful and interesting buildings.
    Do it!

Hi, guys
    We're not angry. That kind of perception is common. Stop in and say hey.

9. Default Re: OKC Wiki Page

Thank you for your understanding, guys.
    great to be in such a friendly community.

Thank you for your understanding, guys.
    great to be in such a friendly community.
    We love outsiders that find an interest in our city, and we would be honored if you came to experience Oklahoma City for yourself.

Thread Information