Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whole Foods in Norman?

Default Whole Foods in Norman?

Has anyone heard rumors of a Whole Foods opening in Norman? A friend told me that, during his last visit to the WF in OKC a week ago, an employee said that Norman would get a WF. He even mentioned an opening date, although I do not remember when it is. Sunflower Market and Crest Foods are on my radar, but not Whole Foods. If you've heard something, please post.

Default Re: Whole Foods in Norman?

It seems like Norman would need a higher per capita income to support a Whole Foods.

Norman needs many more high wage jobs.
    The City of Norman needs to work harder than they have in the past to attract these good jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    It seems like Norman would need a higher per capita income to support a Whole Foods.

Norman needs many more high wage jobs.
    The City of Norman needs to work harder than they have in the past to attract these good jobs.
    OKC has one, and the per capita income is much higher in Norman.

Rumors of this have been mentioned in other threads on this board. No one seems to know definitively though. I have not seen any mention of this in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    I betcha that if you take the land area associated with that of Norman and apply it to Oklahoma City with the center being Whole Foods, that OKC's per capita would blow away Norman's...just saying.

OKC has a much larger population base to draw from and even then they received special CHK incentives…..There aren’t enough high income people in Norman right now.
    Besides there would be a decent amount of people in Norman who would avoid this Austin Texas based chain.

OKC has a much larger population base to draw from and even then they received special CHK incentives…..There aren’t enough high income people in Norman right now.
    Besides there would be a decent amount of people in Norman who would avoid this Austin Texas based chain.
    I see we agree.

You mean like they are with Chuy's?

Quote Originally Posted by mikesimpsons82 View Post
    You mean like they are with Chuy's?
    Norman has plenty of well-established Tex Mex places and this Chuy’s location is not a particularly good one.
    I would be surprised to see them last more than 3 years.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. So Norman folks also don't buy Dell computers? The fact that some OU fans might avoid a business that is based out of Austin is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Well, besides the okctalk food thread that said people here would avoid Longhorn Steakhouse because of the name. That's taking fanaticism to another level

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. So Norman folks also don't buy Dell computers? The fact that some OU fans might avoid a business that is based out of Austin is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Well, besides the okctalk food thread that said people here would avoid Longhorn Steakhouse because of the name. That's taking fanaticism to another level
    I agree about the ridiculousness. We don't avoid Texadelphia and it's another Austin based chain.
    As far as whole foods, it seems like Norman might already be saturated with health food/green type food stores. We already have a Natural Foods, which is very much a smaller version of Whole Foods plus Homeland invested heavy into their organics, plus added specialty cheese and fruit bars.

As if that's not enough we also have local favorites Dodson's, Native Roots, the Earth, and Forward Foods, long time organic and green food sources. For those who don't know, Suzy from Forward Foods won 1st Place at the Cheesemonger Convention in New York City, competing against specialty food stores from all over the country.

As far as the PCI income of Norman, if you factor out the students (who most likely won't be Whole Foods customers) Norman fares very well against Oklahoma City and Edmond.

I agree. I'm an OU grad, and I am currently typing on a Dell. And I never been to Chuy's in Norman, but I went in Dallas and thought that they serve some of the better tex-mex I've eaten. So, not all of us OU guys are crazy enough about OU football to avoid all things Austin. Some of the best pizza I've eaten was in Austin. But, won't ever go to Longhorn Steakhouse again, not b/c of the name but b/c it sucked the one time I went.

Norman could very well support a Whole Foods, but I'm happier to see a Sunflower Market coming soon.

Norman could very well support a Whole Foods, but I'm happier to see a Sunflower Market coming soon.
    Wasn't Sunflower Market supposed to occupy the former Hobby Lobby/OU architecture location on Main? I don't see any activity related to Sunflower market there. I wonder if they decided the Norman market was already at the upper limits? I would be very surprised if WF came to Norman although I would love it.

I bet that Sunflower is being delayed because that store will just go ahead and take on the Sprouts name when it opens (they announced a merger a few months ago).

Norman could stand to become a bit more like Austin, and that's coming from an OU graduate. I've been to Chuy's more times than I can count since it opened... the parking lot is still packed and the wait pretty long during peak times. Texas businesses do very well here. I think a lot of that is because there is a huge Texas ex-pat population in Norman. It's why Rudy's and pretty much all the Texas chains seem to start in Norman before moving into greater OKC. They'll be fine.

If Whole Foods opens in Norman I think a lot of people would make it their main store because it's truly a one-stop. Why go to Forward Foods, Native Roots, Dodson's, and Homeland when you can just go to Whole Foods and get everything you need. I'm a supporter of local business, but when they're not providing what people want and are like a deer staring into the headlights of an approaching supermarket onslaught they need to adapt or go away. Sorry.

Uh
    Austin > Norman

Come on now, That would be like OU fans not setting foot in a Whataburger because their colors are orange and white.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    Come on now, That would be like OU fans not setting foot in a Whataburger because their colors are orange and white.
    OMG. I never thought about that. No more Whataburgers for me.

That happens all the time.
    I happen to know someone very well who once knew a member of the corporate management of the Whataburger chain.
    Their orange was inspired by UT.
    As the saying goes, nothing good comes in orange.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    Norman could stand to become a bit more like Austin, and that's coming from an OU graduate. I've been to Chuy's more times than I can count since it opened... the parking lot is still packed and the wait pretty long during peak times. Texas businesses do very well here. I think a lot of that is because there is a huge Texas ex-pat population in Norman. It's why Rudy's and pretty much all the Texas chains seem to start in Norman before moving into greater OKC. They'll be fine.

If Whole Foods opens in Norman I think a lot of people would make it their main store because it's truly a one-stop. Why go to Forward Foods, Native Roots, Dodson's, and Homeland when you can just go to Whole Foods and get everything you need. I'm a supporter of local business, but when they're not providing what people want and are like a deer staring into the headlights of an approaching supermarket onslaught they need to adapt or go away. Sorry.

There is a huge Texas ex-pat population in the Norman area.
    I know Austin has some very nice qualities but I would never want Norman / OU to become anything like the Austin / UT culture.

Apparently you have never consorted with people such as players, coaches and others who take their football seriously. Not all at OU avoid them by any means but I do know plenty of OU people who won’t buy a Dell product and other products from Austin based enterprises…. You need to get out more and out of the Stillwater strip mind set because it actually happens a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Silliman View Post
    As far as the PCI income of Norman, if you factor out the students (who most likely won't be Whole Foods customers) Norman fares very well against Oklahoma City and Edmond.
    But there are a much greater number of high income people in OKC area than in Norman.
    That’s the difference.

That happens all the time.
    I happen to know someone very well who once knew a member of the corporate management of the Whataburger chain.
    Their orange was inspired by UT.
    As the say goes, nothing good comes in orange.
    Hey Whataburger makes a pretty damn good hamburger for a fast food joint if you ask me. Back to topic though, Where would Whole Foods go if they did come to Norman?

Hey Whataburger makes a pretty damn good hamburger for a fast food joint if you ask me. Back to topic though, Where would Whole Foods go if they did come to Norman?
    It’s not a bad fast food burger.
    I have been given many, many coupons for a free Whataburger, but they are not very healthy…. so I avoid them when I can.

Thread Information