Widgets Magazine
Page 72 of 141 FirstFirst ... 226768697071727374757677122 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 3524

Thread: Cannabis

Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    My experience in Colorado and having gone through the garbage of this medical marijuana proposal is that people just realize what they are voting for. You're voting for recreational pot. I really have few problems with legalized pot - especially real medical pot. I do feel it can help with chronic pain, seizures, nausea, etc. I do have a problem when a major proposal is made through subversive and misleading means. If Oklahomans want legalized pot then so be it because that is what you will get.

I took the time to read the legislation and it essentially amounts to recreational pot because the loopholes are huge and using licensed dispensaries instead of pharmacies or state-owned dispensaries setsvup full recreational sales. Penalties are small and rules are lax.

Here's what you are getting:
    - Recreational pot disguised as medical marijuana
    -Cities and towns will have no ability to opt out if they so choose. In Colorado, they can opt out if they feel it is in the communities best interest.
    -There is nothing I saw limiting the number of dispensaries within a finite space. You run the risk of blocks full of pot shops and the attraction that will be for crime. It happened in Colorado.
    -Employers may only penalize employees who use during work. Nothing is said about employees who are unger the influence but not using at work. Two joint lunches anyone? Doctors? Nurses? Electric linesmen? Bankers? Stockbrokers? Teachers?
    - There don't seem to be regulations on the product, especially when it comes to concentrates, oils, edibles, packaging, how to keep it from looking like candy for kids. apportionment, etc.
    - the regs allow 4 1/2 POUNDS of edibles. POUNDS? For medical marijuana needs?
    -the regs allow cities and towns to let you have more than prescribed in the law
    - pot businesses can't use banks. How will they clean their money (real question since pot shop money often smells like skunk)? How will they get rid of the cash?

There is really nothing describing exactly who is pushing this. I could not easily find any individuals behind the effort. Oklahomans for Health could be a drug cartel or a grow warehouse enterprise or herb-friendly citizens. Nothing seems to say but this is a money business and one is usually wise to follow the money.
    You're so wrong. Really it is for medical marijuana, not recreational marijuana. As a matter of FACT, I don't know of any rec law that first requires a doctor's approval or anybody's. Just be 21. It is past time Oklahoma ignore the naysayers and start taking care of its own. No more medical marijuana refugees!

For where this is coming from, Oklahomans for Health is a fully Oklahoma grown straight from the heart grass roots movement organized to legalize medical marijuana. During the first quarter of 2016, public meetings were held in Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Stillwater and Norman to finalize the wording in the petition. You can think they didn't do a very good job, if you want. At the Oklahoma City meeting Green the Vote, originators of the failed 2015 med mj petition, decided it didn't like the direction Oklahomans For Health was taking and parted company. Their new petition would not include legal hemp growing and was for the statutes, rather than for the state constitution. At the Tulsa meeting, it was revealed that the request made to the Marijuana Policy Project for money was denied. The petition drive started in May 2016. Oklahomans gave around $35,000 to fund it. Seldom if ever was an Oklahoma petition successful with so little money. The key to success was going with the type of petition that was for a statute change rather than constitutional one. Such petitions require considerably fewer signatures.

For the 2018 campaign, a group from Oklahomans For Health split to form the Vote Yes on 788 PAC. Meet the board at the bottom of this page: https://yeson788.com/about-us The chairman, Frank Grove, is primarily doing it because his father has a brain tumor. Another organization in the campaign is New Health Solutions Oklahoma. It's a new trade organization formed in Oklahoma that wants to lobby to get the legal marijuana industry started in Oklahoma. The head, OKC attorney Bud Scott, has been doing a good job pushing at some of the forums. He will tell you that in other states, it's typical for legal medical marijuana to have started out with as little more than a few pages in a petition and after voter approval as much as hundreds of pages of regulations were made to address and clarify issues. Oklahoma HB3468 represents a good start to it. Passed by the House but ignored by the Senate. Since SQ788 is for state statutes, rather than for the state constitution, it shouldn't be too difficult, for legislators to change or add to it, but hopefully not gut it, to address concerns you raised. Legislators can so much as throw the whole thing out, if they so dare to go against the will of the majority who passed it.

One individual in it is Norma Sapp, who has been an activist for Oklahoma marijuana and hemp law reform for the past 29 years. With Scott, she was on the yes side at the forum in Edmond. So once again, this is a genuine straight from the heart Oklahoma originated grass roots movement. Oklahoma farmers have donated. Little, if any outside money or groups are helping it. Far from million$ to follow, so far. Don't let Sen. Lankford lie to you about that. It will be interesting to see the final financial disclosures.

I'll admit this medical marijuana movement seems a little silly. But like it or not, it has become an American custom that you first have to legalize medical marijuana before you can legalize rec marijuana state by state. It results from the Feds largely being totally death to concerned citizens. They doctors and scientists. So when you think something right has to me done and an oppressive government wants nothing to do with it, you sometimes have to devise a means to go around government.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    My experience in Colorado and having gone through the garbage of this medical marijuana proposal is that people just realize what they are voting for. You're voting for recreational pot. I really have few problems with legalized pot - especially real medical pot. I do feel it can help with chronic pain, seizures, nausea, etc. I do have a problem when a major proposal is made through subversive and misleading means. If Oklahomans want legalized pot then so be it because that is what you will get.

I took the time to read the legislation and it essentially amounts to recreational pot because the loopholes are huge and using licensed dispensaries instead of pharmacies or state-owned dispensaries setsvup full recreational sales. Penalties are small and rules are lax.

Here's what you are getting:
    - Recreational pot disguised as medical marijuana
    -Cities and towns will have no ability to opt out if they so choose. In Colorado, they can opt out if they feel it is in the communities best interest.
    -There is nothing I saw limiting the number of dispensaries within a finite space. You run the risk of blocks full of pot shops and the attraction that will be for crime. It happened in Colorado.
    -Employers may only penalize employees who use during work. Nothing is said about employees who are unger the influence but not using at work. Two joint lunches anyone? Doctors? Nurses? Electric linesmen? Bankers? Stockbrokers? Teachers?
    - There don't seem to be regulations on the product, especially when it comes to concentrates, oils, edibles, packaging, how to keep it from looking like candy for kids. apportionment, etc.
    - the regs allow 4 1/2 POUNDS of edibles. POUNDS? For medical marijuana needs?
    -the regs allow cities and towns to let you have more than prescribed in the law
    - pot businesses can't use banks. How will they clean their money (real question since pot shop money often smells like skunk)? How will they get rid of the cash?

There is really nothing describing exactly who is pushing this. I could not easily find any individuals behind the effort. Oklahomans for Health could be a drug cartel or a grow warehouse enterprise or herb-friendly citizens. Nothing seems to say but this is a money business and one is usually wise to follow the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    You're so wrong. Really it is for medical marijuana, not recreational marijuana. As a matter of FACT, I don't know of any rec law that first requires a doctor's approval or anybody's. Just be 21. It is past time Oklahoma ignore the naysayers and start taking care of its own. No more medical marijuana refugees!

For where this is coming from, Oklahomans for Health is a fully Oklahoma grown straight from the heart grass roots movement organized to legalize medical marijuana. During the first quarter of 2016, public meetings were held in Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Stillwater and Norman to finalize the wording in the petition. You can think they didn't do a very good job, if you want. At the Oklahoma City meeting Green the Vote, originators of the failed 2015 med mj petition, decided it didn't like the direction Oklahomans For Health was taking and parted company. Their new petition would not include legal hemp growing and was for the statutes, rather than for the state constitution. At the Tulsa meeting, it was revealed that the request made to the Marijuana Policy Project for money was denied. The petition drive started in May 2016. Oklahomans gave around $35,000 to fund it. Seldom if ever was an Oklahoma petition successful with so little money. The key to success was going with the type of petition that was for a statute change rather than constitutional one. Such petitions require considerably fewer signatures.

For the 2018 campaign, a group from Oklahomans For Health split to form the Vote Yes on 788 PAC. Meet the board at the bottom of this page: https://yeson788.com/about-us The chairman, Frank Grove, is primarily doing it because his father has a brain tumor. Another organization in the campaign is New Health Solutions Oklahoma. It's a new trade organization formed in Oklahoma that wants to lobby to get the legal marijuana industry started in Oklahoma. The head, OKC attorney Bud Scott, has been doing a good job pushing at some of the forums. He will tell you that in other states, it's typical for legal medical marijuana to have started out with as little more than a few pages in a petition and after voter approval as much as hundreds of pages of regulations were made to address and clarify issues. Oklahoma HB3468 represents a good start to it. Passed by the House but ignored by the Senate. Since SQ788 is for state statutes, rather than for the state constitution, it shouldn't be too difficult, for legislators to change or add to it, but hopefully not gut it, to address concerns you raised. Legislators can so much as throw the whole thing out, if they so dare to go against the will of the majority who passed it.

One individual in it is Norma Sapp, who has been an activist for Oklahoma marijuana and hemp law reform for the past 29 years. With Scott, she was on the yes side at the forum in Edmond. So once again, this is a genuine straight from the heart Oklahoma originated grass roots movement. Oklahoma farmers have donated. Little, if any outside money or groups are helping it. Far from million$ to follow, so far. Don't let Sen. Lankford lie to you about that. It will be interesting to see the final financial disclosures.

I'll admit this medical marijuana movement seems a little silly. But like it or not, it has become an American custom that you first have to legalize medical marijuana before you can legalize rec marijuana state by state. It results from the Feds largely being totally death to concerned citizens. They doctors and scientists. So when you think something right has to me done and an oppressive government wants nothing to do with it, you sometimes have to devise a means to go around government.
    Okahoma would have the most liberal pot laws in america when this passes ....

however i was told by someone that would know recently that the legislature will go into special session if this passes and there will be significant changes including a year delay before actually medical is legal and all the regs that come with actual medical

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post

however i was told by someone that would know recently that the legislature will go into special session if this passes and there will be significant changes including a year delay before actually medical is legal and all the regs that come with actual medical
    It would make sense to me they'd need some legislation built around a new industry like this. They needed time to build legislation for the cold beer laws, too.

As long as they don't gut it or restrict it beyond usability, I don't have a problem with some additional legislation.

Yes. I encourage everyone to listen to this podcast with Bud Scott who has worked with many states on their medical cannabis legislation: https://nondoc.com/2018/06/04/bud-scott-sq-788-podcast/. He states clearly that the bill (as a statutory question) was intended to be modified by the legislature, and that there is a wide group of people -- legislators, 788 folks, Bud himself -- working together to draft more clearly written laws pertaining to medical cannabis, establish a commission, etc. etc. The current exact details of the language of the bill should not be a reason to not vote for it. It isn't a constitutional amendment.

Blog Entries

There are states with laws, regulations already in place. If any of these laws pass; it's not like we don't have other states' models available as a base guide to draft our own regulations.

IMHO, if you ever see Oklahoma get too loose on marijuana laws, you will know that the state legislation is desperate for new sources of revenue. Farmers will grow it as long as it's legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    There are states with laws, regulations already in place. If any of these laws pass; it's not like we don't have other states' models available as a base guide to draft our own regulations.

IMHO, if you ever see Oklahoma get too loose on marijuana laws, you will know that the state legislation is desperate for new sources of revenue. Farmers will grow it as long as it's legal.
    I don't understand why most people here are acting like this is some kind of new thing and that Oklahoma is doing something that hasn't been done before. Medical marijuana isn't a new concept and more and more states are opting to go full recreational.

I do think Oklahoma might possibly be a decade or more away from recreational and the first attempt to pass it will probably fail. From people I've talked to who are against it, they want to see the long term effects of legalization play out in places like Colorado before giving it consideration here.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I don't understand why most people here are acting like this is some kind of new thing and that Oklahoma is doing something that hasn't been done before. Medical marijuana isn't a new concept and more and more states are opting to go full recreational.

I do think Oklahoma might possibly be a decade or more away from recreational and the first attempt to pass it will probably fail. From people I've talked to who are against it, they want to see the long term effects of legalization play out in places like Colorado before giving it consideration here.
    The fact that laws exist in other states doesn't mean it's much easier for our legislature to implement them. It's not going to happen overnight, and if any of our elected officials want to drag it out, I'm certain they will find a way to do so.

what we are voting on, as written is recreational in all but name

What we are voting on, as written, will not be anywhere close to the whole of the legal framework surrounding MMJ. Why do so many people think that this stub of a state question will be all that will be put in place if we vote on it? Special session will most likely be called, and reams of statutes, laws, rules, etc. will get implemented.

I disagree. You still have to have a prescription from a doctor in order to get it. Yes, there might be potential for abuse but that's already happening with opiates. I really don't understand why conservatives are so terrified of marijuana yet seemingly have no problem with oxycontin, an actual dangerous drug.

I disagree. You still have to have a prescription from a doctor in order to get it. Yes, there might be potential for abuse but that's already happening with opiates. I really don't understand why conservatives are so terrified of marijuana yet seemingly have no problem with oxycontin, an actual dangerous drug.
    a 2 year "prescription" from pretty much anyone lets you have 4.5 pounds of edibles and have what 8 ounces at home 3 ounces on person and 12 plants at home

a 2 year "prescription" from pretty much anyone lets you have 4.5 pounds of edibles and have what 8 ounces at home 3 ounces on person and 12 plants at home
    and all of that still isn't any worse than OxyContin and far less of a problem then the current opioid problem. but we don't want seem to fix that...

If anything, just legalize the damn thing at all levels so that we get past the mystique of it. It's a smelly plant that can do magical things to our bodies, but it's just one aspect of what should be a very diversified and healthy lifestyle.

What Oklahoma people already use is "recreational". This literally won't change anything except [hopefully] stop people from getting terminated from employment and legal troubles as easily. Seriously does anyone know someone who wants cannabis products and has a hard time getting them? The posts in this thread fearing people toking up in restaurants and stuff is hilarious. This is going to make it easier and legal for the people who are already using cannabis - and the bonus is the state gets to make money from it now!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    What Oklahoma people already use is "recreational". This literally won't change anything except [hopefully] stop people from getting terminated from employment and legal troubles as easily. Seriously does anyone know someone who wants cannabis products and has a hard time getting them? The posts in this thread fearing people toking up in restaurants and stuff is hilarious. This is going to make it easier and legal for the people who are already using cannabis - and the bonus is the state gets to make money from it now!
    This is what many pro-prohibition conservatives don't understand and it's ironic given the arguments they use against gun control i.e. that prohibitionist laws don't work and won't keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them. They think that keeping marijuana illegal, which to them means its out of sight out of mind since the average Southern Baptist probably doesn't run in the same social circles as your typical cannabis users, means that nobody is using it when in reality that isn't the case. People who want to use marijuana heavily likely already are. In all likelihood, if full recreational marijuana was legalized, there would be an initial spike in usage and then it would taper off to be about what it is now.

What’s the limit of intoxicating alcohol I can purchase at once, carry on me, have in my home, or brew on my own?

We don’t even have to go to options to make a point. There is no logical argument against marijuana while alcohol is legal.

Not what I have seen. It's loose but def. not recreational. Of course what is written will not be what we will see after they do selective surgery on it. I just hope it's there and not that hard to get for people who can benefit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    and all of that still isn't any worse than OxyContin and far less of a problem then the current opioid problem. but we don't want seem to fix that...

It's like some people don't get it. MMJ is NO WHERE near as dangerous as these narcotics that the Docs and Big Pharma got so many people hooked on. Not even in the same ballpark.

Who knows? It's possible after legislators are through gutting it, only people on their death beds will be allowed access to med marijuana. The opposition who complain SQ788 isn't restrictive enough doesn't seem to know that could happen.

Lol, no we won't. Even if we did... who cares? This is putting in place a legal framework for a GIANT, criminal industry.

Let me break it down:

Now: criminal distributors decide who buys weed. You think drug dealers sell to minors? Yep. You think drug dealers would be willing to kill in order to protect their ability to protect their revnues? Yep. Thousands of pounds of weed are sold annually in OK with ZERO restrictions. Could the weed be contaminated? Yep. Could it be laced with PCP? Sure, again, ZERO control. Think these drug dealers might sell other substances to their customers such as cocaine and methamphetamine? YES. Criminal. Distribution.

788 Passes: Board certified physicians decide who can buy weed based on the patient's need. A user would purchase the substance from a legal, retail entity.

FYI - the NO on 788 campaign has spent $500,000 on media advertising to spread fear mongering bull**** about how 788 will ruin our state. Just got an alert from the Yes on 788 campaign.

You can donate to the YES campaign here:

https://yeson788.com/donate

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    FYI - the NO on 788 campaign has spent $500,000 on media advertising to spread fear mongering bull**** about how 788 will ruin our state. Just got an alert from the Yes on 788 campaign.

You can donate to the YES campaign here:

https://yeson788.com/donate
    This kind of stuff is why I think full (recreational) marijuana legalization in Oklahoma is a pipe dream for the foreseeable future. Marijuana will be like tattoos, the lottery, casinos, and liquor. Oklahoma will still be fighting this battle decades after the rest of the nation has moved on.

Hopefully a majority of the state doesn't buy the fearmongering propaganda but I'm not super hopeful. 788 needs to pass with above 60% in favor to give it more political clout. If it barely passes, the legislature may be more likely to completely gut it.

This kind of stuff is why I think full (recreational) marijuana legalization in Oklahoma is a pipe dream for the foreseeable future. Marijuana will be like tattoos, the lottery, casinos, and liquor. Oklahoma will still be fighting this battle decades after the rest of the nation has moved on.

Hopefully a majority of the state doesn't buy the fearmongering propaganda but I'm not super hopeful. 788 needs to pass with above 60% in favor to give it more political clout. If it barely passes, the legislature may be more likely to completely gut it.
    I wonder how the fear mongering ads and propaganda looked like during the campaign back in 1959 to vote to legalize alcohol? Yet, in Oklahoma City and Tulsa it passed by a wide margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I wonder how the fear mongering ads and propaganda looked like during the campaign back in 1959 to vote to legalize alcohol? Yet, in Oklahoma City and Tulsa it passed by a wide margin.
    In 1959, it was mostly restricted to newspapers and local TV received over rabbit ears. There was no Internet or cable. I do wonder how the ads looked though, that is a good question. Even though prohibition was repealed, the system put in place was one of the strictest in the nation. This coming October, Oklahoma will finally have what most states have had for many decades when it comes to alcohol.

Right. Long term effects of legal medical marijuana can be found in California where it was legalized in 1996. As was pointed out elsewhere, only 5% of the California population have taken advantage of it. Opponents of SQ788 shouldn't get legal medical marijuana confused with legal rec.

It took California 20 years to approve legal rec after legal med. People who think it will take Oklahoma a long time to approve of rec, if it passes SQ788 have that as a reason to go by. The Feds taking marijuana off Schedule 1, or acts of Congress could speed things up some.

Thread Information