Widgets Magazine
Page 132 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3282127128129130131132133134135136137 ... LastLast
Results 3,276 to 3,300 of 3524

Thread: Cannabis

Default Re: Cannabis

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    What relevance does the Democratic political party have to this discussion?
    As far as total political control, that is BS. Are you familiar with needing 60 votes in the Senate?
    Please leave your partisan takes to somewhere else. Thank you.
    I am a liberal. But the fact it wasn't discussed at all, like at all, and hasn't been, like, at all (in any serious capacity), says that the federal government doesn't care about legalizing or decriminalizing it. But by all means, keep pontificating to me.

Me mentioning democrats was solely because they are the party that would ever want to see it decriminalized fully.

But go on and wax poetic with your bad self

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    ^^

Not commenting on control and what not, but actually legalization of Mary Jane is almost completely partisan. Generally speaking, most of my conservative friends are totally against it based on their principles, meanwhile most of my liberal friends are completely for it. Also if you look at the maps provided earlier of the states that carried the approval of the legalization of the stuff medically, it's your more liberal-leaning counties that voted for it.
    May I suggest a more current map that includes Alabama, LA, MO, etc?
    https://disa.com/maps/marijuana-legality-by-state

The medical movement started in western states through initiative petitions, not legislators of either party. It had nothing to do with partisan members of state legislatures.
    Never the less. If you go back to my response it was framed around responding to an allegation of the national Democratic party not doing anything on a Federal level.
    Anecdotal stories of local liberal and conservative opinions of friends are not relevant to my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    ^^

Not commenting on control and what not, but actually legalization of Mary Jane is almost completely partisan. Generally speaking, most of my conservative friends are totally against it based on their principles, meanwhile most of my liberal friends are completely for it. Also if you look at the maps provided earlier of the states that carried the approval of the legalization of the stuff medically, it's your more liberal-leaning counties that voted for it.
    It all goes back to religion and the fact that the Southern Baptist Convention has deemed cannabis a detriment to the moral fabric of society. The preachers have been much more outspoken against SQ820 than they were SQ788 a few years ago. SQ788 was a matter of good luck and the "openness" of it was something that was kind of snuck by the holy rollers. Tomorrows vote on SQ820 is going to be very interesting.

Hope it passes so I can be done hearing about it.

5. Default Re: Cannabis

Quote Originally Posted by aDark View Post
    True story.

Quote Originally Posted by aDark View Post
    If it fails, you will not hear about it anymore

I just voted a big fat NO and I hope it fails

Voted yes around 7:30 this morning as per my usual approach. I was the fourth voter in my precinct again and while I was there two or three other people were coming in to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    I just voted a big fat NO and I hope it fails
    I just cancelled yours out. That said I’ve barely heard one word about it save for a commercial featuring an ex cop. I wouldn’t be surprised if it fails. All the under 40 (progressives)people I’ve talked to in the past
    Week seemed to be surprised that it’s on a ballot or that there was a vote today.

I have yet to hear one logical argument against recreational use. Trust me when I say current college students/recent college grads have had it with this state's political agenda. Even if they do not use weed for recreational use, they will vote to pass it as a middle figure to the republicans in this state.

I am one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by W8N2SKI View Post
    I have yet to hear one logical argument against recreational use. Trust me when I say current college students/recent college grads have had it with this state's political agenda. Even if they do not use weed for recreational use, they will vote to pass it as a middle figure to the republicans in this state.

I am one of those.
    If young people/recent college grads actually show up to vote then it'll pass. They don't exactly have a stellar track record of voter turnout, though.

I just voted a big fat YES and I hope it passes

I have yet to hear one logical argument against recreational use. ...
    If you're OK with alcohol and tobacco being legal, you should have absolutely no *logical* (as you said) problem or argument against marijuana. There have been zero deaths attributed directly to marijuana, compared to probably billions from alcohol and tobacco. MJ is not a "gateway" drug, and none of the other "reefer madness" propaganda is realistic. Just legalize and de-schedule it and be done with it.

14. Default Re: Cannabis

I am guessing this will most likely fail at the polls. Something like 40-60 no. Based on what I saw from my city, county and ward pages on various social media. Very vocal no votes. As well as many religious groups.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    There have been zero deaths attributed directly to marijuana,
    link?

https://rehabs.com/pro-talk/fatal-ma...is-not-a-myth/

It's not zero. But considering that in a single variable analysis, it makes no sense to treat it differently than, say, Tylenol.

If anything, the real problem is that, for decades, it has essentially been illegal to posses it in any quantity that would allow for comprehensive and controlled scientific testing. Not that testing hasn't taken place, but it's been very limited due to it being a Schedule 1 federal substance. If anything, dosing seems to be a real question mark. I think a lot of people just don't know how much they should take or even how much they are taking. Hopefully, as legalization progresses, there can be more guidance, or at least some sort of process that can create more trust in labeling.

Of course, none of that suggests we should be putting people in jail for it, which is really all these efforts are about right now.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I am guessing this will most likely fail at the polls. Something like 40-60 no. Based on what I saw from my city, county and ward pages on various social media. Very vocal no votes. As well as many religious groups.
    I hope that is true, the first marijuana law has already been passed so we do not need another marijuana law

No more changing laws?

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    https://rehabs.com/pro-talk/fatal-ma...is-not-a-myth/

It's not zero. But considering that in a single variable analysis, it makes no sense to treat it differently than, say, Tylenol.

If anything, the real problem is that, for decades, it has essentially been illegal to posses it in any quantity that would allow for comprehensive and controlled scientific testing. Not that testing hasn't taken place, but it's been very limited due to it being a Schedule 1 federal substance. If anything, dosing seems to be a real question mark. I think a lot of people just don't know how much they should take or even how much they are taking. Hopefully, as legalization progresses, there can be more guidance, or at least some sort of process that can create more trust in labeling.

Of course, none of that suggests we should be putting people in jail for it, which is really all these efforts are about right now.
    "However, if we remove all the cases which involved drug mixing and look only at those cases where a fatal dose of cannabis alone was present, we still have 18 deaths due to poisoning by cannabis alone in 2014."

That's an extremely small rounding error compared to the number of alcohol or tobacco deaths, so maybe not "none", but "pretty much none".

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    I hope that is true, the first marijuana law has already been passed so we do not need another marijuana law
    I would like to know how recreational weed negatively affects you...

I was # 86 at my polling place at noon. Wife and I voted yes. We are in our 60s. I didn’t see anyone there voting that looked younger than us.

Bring in a "I voted" sticker to FIRE LEAF dispensary for a free joint.

I would like to know how recreational weed negatively affects you...
    Owns a liquor store

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Owns a liquor store
    I don't know a single person who goes and buys alcohol and says "man, I wish weed was legal, I wouldn't by beer anymore"

If people want to smoke weed, they are already doing it now whether it is legal or not. This is just going to give law enforcement one less thing to ticket and bring in a f ton of tax revenue to the state.

The GOP got what they wanted. They wanted this on a ballot on a day no one cares about. Not a November or June general election. That alone should tell you all you need to know about whether they care about the extra tax revenue coming in.

Thread Information