Widgets Magazine
Page 51 of 141 FirstFirst ... 4647484950515253545556101 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 3524

Thread: Cannabis

Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

So wait, they submitted it before the deadline and now it isn't going on the ballot? It doesn't matter how close to the deadline you submit it, a deadline is a deadline. If you meet it, you should get it in. That is like if I turn in my homework by the given deadline of November 10th, but I still get a late mark because I turned it in on the 9th and my professor didn't grade it in time. Am I wrong with that analogy?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Forgive me if I simply do not believe there is some mass exodus of people from Oklahoma merely on the basis of their inability to get weed. C'mon.
    Not what I said. There are people leaving because of the overall mismanagement of the state and the oppressive political culture. It's an accumulation of many things over a long period of time. I fear the brain drain will come back with a vengeance. Fortunately OKC has measurable momentum from the boom of a few years ago, and many improvement projects under way or in the pipeline. But there is a larger story here: uncompromising, ideological, conservative political leadership, failing schools, budget failure, rank incompetence in government. If you think young people don't recognize the trend you're crazy.

It's just weird because for several years there were so many people FIRED UP about OKC, and they were young people who could theoretically go anywhere. Many of these same people, some of whom are in their 30s, cannot wait to get out. It is literally almost a daily occurrence on my FB feed.

When a trickle becomes a stream you begin to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    So wait, they submitted it before the deadline and now it isn't going on the ballot? It doesn't matter how close to the deadline you submit it, a deadline is a deadline. If you meet it, you should get it in. That is like if I turn in my homework by the given deadline of November 10th, but I still get a late mark because I turned it in on the 9th and my professor didn't grade it in time. Am I wrong with that analogy?
    By writing the ballot title, Pruitt automatically built in a 10-day waiting period by law. Then, he probably wrote it in such a way it can be constitutionally challenged. Then, the guy printing the ballots whines "it can't get done." My guess is they will figure out dozens of ways to ensure this never reaches the ballot. It is complete and total BS.

The only thing that is going to change this state is to vote these idiots out, and since so many moderate and progressive people are fleeing the state, I don't see it happening any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    By writing the ballot title, Pruitt automatically built in a 10-day waiting period by law. Then, he probably wrote it in such a way it can be constitutionally challenged. Then, the guy printing the ballots whines "it can't get done." My guess is they will figure out dozens of ways to ensure this never reaches the ballot. It is complete and total BS.

The only thing that is going to change this state is to vote these idiots out, and since so many moderate and progressive people are fleeing the state, I don't see it happening any time soon.
    You're not wrong. I see on here many people saying they know a lot of people who are moving to OKC or want to or know people that are, but my personal experience is completely different. Most of my friend are moving away from the city just be in a better environment.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Then they need to change the deadline. When one submits before a deadline they should not have to worry about said object being late. This is why we have deadlines. If they can't get things done then they need to change the deadline to allow for more time.
    I think the confusion is terminology. The state has a deadline for putting initiatives on the ballot. It's the latest one in the country, and according to ballotpedia is Sept 7. However, there is a process an initiative must go through, including a 10 day objection period, and a review by the SoS. And a title rewrite if requested by the SoS. Dorman knew this process going in, and has publicly stated they were aware that they pushed to very close. Also, back in May the election board requested the ballots by today to have time to print them.

If Dorman doesn't know how the process works, it's a good thing he didn't win the gubernatorial election.

Blog Entries

The people who collected those signatures as well as the voters who signed those petitions deserve to have this put on the ballot for a November vote even if Scott Pruitt has to work overtime to get it done--he's salaried.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    The people who collected those signatures as well as the voters who signed those petitions deserve to have this put on the ballot for a November vote even if Scott Pruitt has to work overtime to get it done--he's salaried.

Correct. It's the will of the people. If this doesn't make the ballot many people here in State and around the country will see this as nothing more than a stall tactic by State officials misusing their power to corrupt the system.

I wonder how many people in this State are in jail or tied up in the court system because of possession of MJ? Not pushers just regular people that were busted for small amounts.

This is for medical reasons not so people can go out and get high. There are many people that could use this drug to stay off many of the pills that big Pharma wants DRs to push for them.

I'm not going to say a single d@mned word given how the past few pages have gone. This speaks for itself. Whether it's following process (to an extent, given the fact that the deadline was met) or not, will/was there even an attempt to get this on the November ballot by the proper offices and agencies? That's all I'll ask, not going to suppose a conspiracy, just a simple question.

BA Patient Devastated By Medical Marijuana Ballot Delay Tells Her Story

Posted: Aug 26, 2016 6:44 PM CDT Updated: Aug 26, 2016 6:44 PM CDT
    BY: ANNIE CHANG, NEWS ON 6

A group called Oklahomans for Health celebrated earlier this month when they got enough signatures to get medical marijuana on the November ballot, but state officials say it wasn’t soon enough.
    That means, medical marijuana supporters, and those who would benefit from it, will have to wait.

"Every morning I wake up sick, vomiting, tired," Wells said.

She’s suffered for years, and every day she takes 24 medications.

But recently, Wells learned medical marijuana is an option for patients like her. She tried it and says it works.

"It helps with the nausea, sometimes, because marijuana can cause you to get hungry,” she explained. “So it helps us eat. It helps with the pain, it helps with the depression."

But it looks like Wells will have to wait another two years for the next statewide election to legally get the treatment she needs.

The State Board of Elections will start printing ballots next week and State Question 788, whether to legalize medical marijuana, won't be on them.

Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt says Oklahomans for Health will not meet the September 1st deadline to get everything in order for November, saying:

"It's important for the people of Oklahoma to know, regardless of the substance of the state question, the signatures were not submitted with enough time to allow this process to be played out completely."
    http://www.newson6.com/story/3285232...ells-her-story

And Jerry, unrelated/related, we're good. No hard feelings at all, honestly.

if you meet the deadline, you meet the deadline...you don't move the goal posts after the fact.

Well Pruitt killed it, as predicted. Running out the clock. No wonder EVERY DAY some young person in my FB feed is moving the hell out of this state.
    They should wait to see how the elections on Nov. 8 turn out, especially to see if criminal justice reform questions are approved as well as the one for alcohol law reform. It will help if incumbent Republican legislators get thrown out.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    if you meet the deadline, you meet the deadline...you don't move the goal posts after the fact.

That's not how it works around here. This is Oklahoma and these officials seem to make the rules to suit their agenda. Deadlines be damned!

He's done. And did his part quickly. I'm not sure what else he could do.

Blog Entries

Did Scott Pruitt sabotage the ballot title?

Supporters of medical marijuana state question criticize AG Scott Pruitt's rewrite of ballot title:

The rewritten ballot title does not accurately reflect the medical component and implies marijuana will be legalized regardless of medical need, Paul said.
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/healt...7fa998e47.html

A good State Attorney General would have been on top of his game anticipating what to write for a title.

Scott Pruitt purposely sabotage the ballot title or he is incompetent.

He wrote it to appear it's a full on legalization vote, striking any reference to medicine. These people are demonic.

You're not wrong. I see on here many people saying they know a lot of people who are moving to OKC or want to or know people that are, but my personal experience is completely different. Most of my friend are moving away from the city just be in a better environment.
    When things improve, but not fast enough, you get the condition of rising expectations that cannot be met fast enough. This is a widely documented social science phenomenon observed in repressive countries (Oklahoma is not a dictatorship but is extremely oppressive). In this scenario, people who have been repressed, but for whom things have marginally improved, suddenly get rising expectations that can't possibly be met fast enough, and they often revolt. The improvement is slowing in OKC due to the oil and gas bust and suddenly the yahoos ruining (not running) our state become more prominent in people's minds. OKC is getting cooler overall but it seems like a sham when the state is moving backwards economically and socially. People with options are bailing left and right. It is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    They should wait to see how the elections on Nov. 8 turn out, especially to see if criminal justice reform questions are approved as well as the one for alcohol law reform. It will help if incumbent Republican legislators get thrown out.
    I agree with you, but people do what they do. The difference between winning and losing is often subtle but significant.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I think the confusion is terminology. The state has a deadline for putting initiatives on the ballot. It's the latest one in the country, and according to ballotpedia is Sept 7. However, there is a process an initiative must go through, including a 10 day objection period, and a review by the SoS. And a title rewrite if requested by the SoS. Dorman knew this process going in, and has publicly stated they were aware that they pushed to very close. Also, back in May the election board requested the ballots by today to have time to print them.

If Dorman doesn't know how the process works, it's a good thing he didn't win the gubernatorial election.
    If Pruitt and Failin push this vote to 2018, they will be doing Joe Dorman a huge favor: that would probably get him elected as our next governor. Pruitt is pretty dumb, which we have known for some time. But the word on the street is that he wants to run for governor (God help us). This will not help that effort because by 2018 this will become a major driver to get people to the polls. He would be smarter to get this off his plate now, but he is a total ideologue.

Okay so I just checked out what exactly it says, and I don't see what is wrong with the way it is written.

http://www.news9.com/story/32844189/...e-question-788

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post

Okay so I just checked out what exactly it says, and I don't see what is wrong with the way it is written.

http://www.news9.com/story/32844189/...e-question-788
    Read closer. The ballot language makes scant reference to medical MJ. It implies legalization. Setting the initiative up to fail with voters. Don't be fooled.

Polling has shown as many as 70% of Okies support medical MJ. Pruitt is writing this as if it's the Colorafo initiative. You're not dumb; why would he do this?😐

He wrote it to appear it's a full on legalization vote, striking any reference to medicine. These people are demonic.
    Decisions like this are what fuels the perception and reality that Oklahoma is a poorly managed, and slow to change place. Keep voting for these fools

I figure this issue will keep getting pushed back til all surrounding states pass something similar. Then Ok will fall in line. Perception is reality.

Even with the current wording, I think it should still go on the ballot. I think it has a good shot at passing no matter what. Especially if everyone who signed the petition gets out and votes yes.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    I figure this issue will keep getting pushed back til all surrounding states pass something similar. Then Ok will fall in line. Perception is reality.
    And by then, the potential for huge revenues will have already passed us by. I don't understand why a state in such poor shape financially wouldn't jump at the opportunity to reap the rewards this kind of product would offer. Colorado seems to not have descended into mayhem after allowing recreational marijuana.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Even with the current wording, I think it should still go on the ballot. I think it has a good shot at passing no matter what. Especially if everyone who signed the petition gets out and votes yes.
    Many would vote for it with the current wording; the trouble is it makes it easier for recreational users to obtain marijuana. Wasn't our intent to address the need for those who needed medical marijuana?

Many would vote for it with the current wording; the trouble is it makes it easier for recreational users to obtain marijuana. Wasn't our intent to address the need for those who needed medical marijuana?
    Both wordings had the same result. Neither required a prescription.

Thread Information