Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 141 FirstFirst 12345678954104 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannabis

Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    Where is the US Surgeon General on this? If the government legalizes pot, then a health warning will certainly be required on every baggie. That is, unless someone has proof that smoking pot ISN'T harmful to your health.
    Not sure where USSG Benjamin is on marijuana (though she did approve funding for a needle exchange program).

Former USSG's:

I seem to recall Joycelyn Elders was relatively pot friendly, maybe just drugs in general, or is my assumption based on other positions she owned up to?

Quote Originally Posted by BAreteH View Post
    I support the decriminalization of cannabis but I'm not completely sold on legalization.
    You think it should be decriminalized, i.e. not be illegal, but you're not really certain it should be legal?

I doubt decriminalization would work well, because people selling it would still be criminals. Legalization of marijuana should work like the way cigarettes and alcohol are sold.

The only downside I see is legalized pot could contribute to the obesity epidemic, what with all the late night taco runs and such.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    The only downside I see is legalized pot could contribute to the obesity epidemic, what with all the late night taco runs and such.
    Perhaps, but it'll stimulate the economy.

A lot of illegal things might stimulate the economy, but we still don't do them.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    You think it should be decriminalized, i.e. not be illegal, but you're not really certain it should be legal?
    I support a change to the prosecution of marijuana charges. For example, the Leno Bill in California reduces an offense of possession of less than an ounce to an infraction. I believe small amounts for personal use and even small plants for personal use should not carry penalties that lead to arrests, court appearances, or criminal records.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I doubt decriminalization would work well, because people selling it would still be criminals. Legalization of marijuana should work like the way cigarettes and alcohol are sold.
    They are not all criminals. Sure, by definition they are considered criminals, but I don’t know a single dealer that is a real criminal. If enjoying medical or recreational use of cannabis is the only law breaking one is guilty of, then are they truly a criminal? Every morning when I drive to work and see many angry and overly aggressive driving, an act that kills thousands of people each year, I don’t consider the drivers criminals despite the fact they are breaking the law in a much more dangerous way and one that affects many other innocent people.

I agree that the legalization of marijuana has many economic and medical benefits but if we are to see a change one day then it will happen with a series of steps. There are many questions and fears surrounding the topic about the effects legalization will have on our society and we must first prove that the pros outweigh the cons. This will only happen with compromise. Ever tried to earn the trust of another person? It takes time and a series of small steps. For now the focus should be on decriminalization of cannabis to give advocates of legalized cannabis a chance to earn the trust of those opposed.

The call to end the drug war gets louder. Latin America and Mexico is tired of paying the price for failed policies in the U.S. Article from Forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dougband...bama-let-them/

US News has another article.

http://www.usnews.com/debate-club/is...-and-regulated

Hopefully someday soon the politicians will get it.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    A lot of illegal things might stimulate the economy, but we still don't do them.

I suppose you like the status quo? With thinking like that, people would still be getting killed over boot legged alcohol. Prohibition didn't work in the 20's and it doesn't work today.

Quote Originally Posted by White Peacock View Post
    What part of Oregon are you in? I used to live in Tigard.

I live in the country south of Forest Grove. I used to live in Beaverton and I know Tigard fairly well. I don't know how long it's been since you lived there but it has grow so large it's almost unrecognizable.

Theoretically yes, they could be arrested for possession on a federal level, but it is more likely that people would be arrested for selling some larger quantity. The medical marijuana law has some "weird" quirks which I'll try and explain although I don't really understand all the details.

The marijuana cannot be sold. You can however, have someone grow it for you but you have to supply the seeds or plants. Where you get the seeds or plants has never really been explained. People can register as growers in order to grow for someone else. The amount you can grow and have on hand is limited. Well, it is likely the grower will have an excess amount on hand. What do they do with it? If they decide to sell it then that's where they would be likely to run afoul of the feds.

There are buyers clubs where people can pay a membership fee and receive marijuana. Many of these "clubs" have set up store fronts and have quite a selection to offer their "members".
    Many communities have refused to allow siting permits or business licenses to these storefront operations and have cited the federal prohibition as the reason for doing so.

It's very interesting how this thing has evolved. It seems to have developed a life of it's own.

It looks like we'll have another legalization measure on the ballot this November if the petitions are approved.

When we moved to Oregon from OKC in 1976 we experienced significant culture shock. It's only been getting worse. Get me back to the south!

Quote Originally Posted by jett713 View Post
    I suppose you like the status quo? With thinking like that, people would still be getting killed over boot legged alcohol. Prohibition didn't work in the 20's and it doesn't work today.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by jmpokc1957 View Post
    I live in the country south of Forest Grove. I used to live in Beaverton and I know Tigard fairly well. I don't know how long it's been since you lived there but it has grow so large it's almost unrecognizable.
    I moved back to OKC in 2007, and visited in 2009, so I doubt it's changed considerably since then. That 'culture shock' you mention is, frankly, one of the things I miss most about living there. Moving back here was a shock for me, because I got so accustomed to the Portland lifestyle that I had forgotten what the experience was like living in a place like OKC. Wanna trade?

Quote Originally Posted by White Peacock View Post
    I moved back to OKC in 2007, and visited in 2009, so I doubt it's changed considerably since then. That 'culture shock' you mention is, frankly, one of the things I miss most about living there. Moving back here was a shock for me, because I got so accustomed to the Portland lifestyle that I had forgotten what the experience was like living in a place like OKC. Wanna trade?
    Well, there is a reason they say the grass is always greener on the other side!

Really, though, there aren't many cities that are further apart from each other in terms of culture than OKC and Portland, Or. Believe me, the "Keep Portland Weird" bumper sticker is more than just an edgy sentiment! That being said, there are many aspects of Oklahoma culture which I just couldn't accept anymore either.

Both my wife's family and mine are here so I'll we here for a while longer.

never mind . . .

Massachusetts now joins Colorado, Washington, and Montana on the growing list of states voting on marijuana law reform measures this November. Supporters have also turned in signatures for a legalization initiative in Oregon and a medical marijuana initiative in Arkansas, but neither has yet heard back about their qualification status.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/wareham/t...#axzz20AjiyRFi

Very good article in today's Huffington Post.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jamie-...b_1660526.html

By Dana Hertneky, News 9

OKLAHOMA CITY -

Advocates for medical marijuana say they are finally making progress into
    legalization here in Oklahoma. The head of the Oklahoma Senate has
    approved a study into the issue.

Senator Constance Johnson says this is the first progress on the issue
    since she first introduced it in 2006. She plans to call Doctors, experts,
    patients and advocates to testify.

"There are a lot of people in Oklahoma who are interested in this issue
    and they're finally getting a voice in the process," she said.

This is just an excerpt. Read and view more here.

http://www.news9.com/story/18994380/...a-legalization

Finally some progress here. Hope it will continue. Mark Woodward just needs to shut his piehole. He knows if Cannabis is legalized for recreational or medicinal use his job may just be endangered.

If we, as a society, don't really care who is actually, legally, and identifiably eligible to vote . . .
    Then isn't the question of "the legalization of cannabis" a moot point?
    Bumpersticker for the RedBulled/CellphoneAddled/For Freedom: "Just Do It . . . Don't Say No"
    (Sorry . . . I was thinking of Abbie Hoffman . . . From Back in The Day. The Yippie Guy. Wrote a Book and Encourged Airhead Dupes to Steal It. =)

Oh! For the Historcal Referencely Challenged (a visual aid):
    If you are stoned enough, this will probably make sense.

Viva Che! Viva Marijuana! Viva Los Teaching de Don Juan de Castenada!
    (yeah, right. people aren't already getting stupider at a fast enough rate)

By Dana Hertneky, News 9

OKLAHOMA CITY -

Advocates for medical marijuana say they are finally making progress into
    legalization here in Oklahoma. The head of the Oklahoma Senate has
    approved a study into the issue.

Senator Constance Johnson says this is the first progress on the issue
    since she first introduced it in 2006. She plans to call Doctors, experts,
    patients and advocates to testify.

"There are a lot of people in Oklahoma who are interested in this issue
    and they're finally getting a voice in the process," she said.

This is just an excerpt. Read and view more here.

http://www.news9.com/story/18994380/...a-legalization

Finally some progress here. Hope it will continue. Mark Woodward just needs to shut his piehole. He knows if Cannabis is legalized for recreational or medicinal use his job may just be endangered.
    Maybe Woodward hasn't seen this pitiful video.

---
    ---
    ---
    ---
    ---

TLO fans:

The Lost Ogle - 10 reasons why medical marijuana should be legal in Oklahoma
    ...first of all, let me respond to Captain Mark Wood[fudg]er. Of course you don't want medical marijuana to be legalized! You're a bully who works for Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics! You're a fun-hater who makes a living by trying to arrest people who want to relieve stress, enjoy life and not feel ashamed about eating a king size bag of peanut M&M's while watching Super Troopers...

There is a group of law enforcement types, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP). Not saying the group has a presence in Oklahoma.

It's official Oregonians will vote on legalization this fall.

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/i...n_measure.html

I believe it should be legal.

I say tax it heavily, regulate it heavily and lets put that money to fix our schools and roads. We can shut down a few prisons in the process, if you release all the pot-offenders.

I can brew my own beer, but I dont.
    I can grow my own tobacco, but I dont.

If I want those items, I go to the store. Make it the same with marijuana. Tax it at the grower level, every bag gets a tax stamp. If a dispensary wants to sell "untaxed" marijuana, fine them heavily.

Issue resolved.

Thread Information