Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 141 FirstFirst 123456752102 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannabis

Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

So, jett . . . are you, like, going for your masters degree in education trying out your thesis/theory in here?
    (if so, screaming yellow zonkers make a great snack. even the cartoons on the box are funny. or used to be. the irony is that the Quaker Oats Company makes them! at least they did back in the late-60's to early-70's. the comedy album "a child's garden of grass" warning us about listening to accordion music, jimi hendrix "axis bold as love" and "sympathy for the devil" by the stones makes for interesting "ambiance music".)

Nope, just a lifelong Okie. Trying to bring Oklahoma into the 21st Century one person at a time. The likes of Sally Kern, Mary Fallin, Jim Inhofe and others does not do a body good. These folks make me want to

There you go, making it a partisan issue again

Liberals don't own this, not even close.

Bosco, I am not making this a partisan issue. I was stating my opinion on the likes of Sally Kern et al too RadicalModerate. I don't recall making this a partisan issue anywhere in this topic. So don't go jumping down my throat and accusing me of it otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    The reduction of car accidents doesn't have anything to do with the cartels. From what I've heard, researchers have found weed to be basically a substitute to alcohol for a lot of people, and it's. Even shown that drivers are usually safer high than drunk. Therefore wrecks have decreased in states that allow weed. I may stretching what I've heard but I think this is the gist of it.
    Ah, ok - that sounds like a cogent argument, I'll accept that.

6. Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

If pot is to be legalized, I can live with it but do it out in the open. Colorado, where I live, has one of the sham laws making it legal to get "medical" pot. It's amazing how 90% of those who have medical pot licenses where pot can be bought legally are males between the ages of 20 and 35. It you're going to legalize it, legalize it.

Okay 13, I was out of turn to suggest you were partisan. The whole Sally Kern thing and "legislating morality" just stinks, and I jump to conclusions. Stereotyping can be rude.

I do want to commend you for including recreational use in the thread title. Far too long, the movement folks have hidden behind the skirts of medical marijuana.

I tolerate Sally Kern, gay marriage, and pot. Why can't we all just get-a-bong?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    If pot is to be legalized, I can live with it but do it out in the open. Colorado, where I live, has one of the sham laws making it legal to get "medical" pot. It's amazing how 90% of those who have medical pot licenses where pot can be bought legally are males between the ages of 20 and 35. It you're going to legalize it, legalize it.
    I heard that's going to be on the ballot this fall for Colorado.

I'm in favor of full legalization and taxation on the sale of pot, for reasons stated above. I also believe people should be able to grow a small amount for personal use.

Personally, I don't smoke it any more but if it were legal I might take a couple of hits before going to see a concert or something.

I would be interested to hear someone from law enforcement add to the discussion. It's been my theory for some time that LE wants to keep it illegal because they get lots of nice toys to use and federal money to go after it.

However, street cops would probably just as soon it be legalized or decriminalized.

I'm no libertarian though: I think we should keep meth, coke and other hard drugs illegal.

The biggest beef I have with our system is that we treat drug addiction as more of a criminal issue than a health issue. It's a lot cheaper to send someone to Betty Ford than it is to lock them up.

Quote Originally Posted by boscorama View Post
    ... Why can't we all just get-a-bong?
    Credit where credit is due. That provided a right decent chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by jett713 View Post
    Bosco, I am not making this a partisan issue. I was stating my opinion on the likes of Sally Kern et al too RadicalModerate. I don't recall making this a partisan issue anywhere in this topic. So don't go jumping down my throat and accusing me of it otherwise.
    it would help if you mentioned a couple from the other party in your examples...

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I'm no libertarian though: I think we should keep meth, coke and other hard drugs illegal.
    I'm 100% for the full legalization of Cannabis and naturally occurring psychedelics. I think that the really hard stuff, synthetics and so forth, should be addressed case-by-case, and in the case of drugs like meth, it shouldn't be a criminal penalty to possess, but should come with mandatory treatment. I've never done the latter, but I've known many people who got sucked in and had their lives ruined by its use. It's not a criminal act, it's a serious illness that requires serious attention to resolve. So I would definitely maintain a restriction on meth use, but I wouldn't lock up users. I'd rather assist them in remitting their addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/12...g-cigarettes-/

A lot of people concentrate on the problems of addiction and driving while impaired. They also compare smoking pot vs. drinking alchohol. I think a closer approximation would be comparing smoking pot to smoking cigarettes. Smoking pot has quite a few health problems but we don't talk about them much. And before someone says that cigarettes are worse for you than pot, I have to point out, without really getting into the weeds of the argument, that neither one is harmless. If you'd hate to see a loved one ruin their lungs with cigarettes, I doubt it would be any less painful to see them do it with pot. If you don't smoke cigarettes because you know it's stupid, you might want to think about what pot can do to your lungs and health, too.
    The legal federal medical marijuana patients who have smoked up to 300 joints a month for decades can easily tell you how wrong you are about your fear that smoking pot has quite a few health problems. But it's obvious that you're quite unaware that a renowned doctor tried for years to demonstrate that smoking pot causes lung cancer, only to fail in doing so. This doctor no longer opposes legalizing marijuana. Probably the worst that can happen to most pot smokers is to come down with bronchitis. This health problem is easily cured by stop smoking and seeing a doctor. Too bad it isn't that simple when it comes to cancer and smoking tobacco. Yet, look what's still legal--tobacco. I wonder if the government is still helping tobacco farmers with subsidies for crop insurance? It amazing how it seems that so many people live and thrive on hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by jett713 View Post
    No matter how you feel about legalization. Prohibition does not work. Here is very good article written by Pete Guither at http://www.drugwarrant.com/articles/...juana-illegal/ Why is Marijuana Illegal. He pretty much sums it all up.
    That is surely one of the best and most important articles on the Internet, highlighting the nonsense behind cannabis prohibition.

I think corporate fears that fought to ban hemp are now outdated, though, since hemp doesn't play a dominating industrial role where it is legal, such as in China. Still, hemp should be legalized in the USA, so as to give hemp promoters a chance to prove how it can benefit the world in so many ways. Hemp might be a good crop for tobacco farmers to turn to.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Ah, ok - that sounds like a cogent argument, I'll accept that.
    I hope plenty of people have better sense to drink AND smoke pot at the same time and then try to drive. Imagine trying to drive while seeing in doubles and high.

It's none of the governments business if you smoke pot or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    it would help if you mentioned a couple from the other party in your examples...
    I agree in principle, but who? Which Democrats are ranting and raving about keeping pot illegal? I would guess that the two or three people on this thread who seem opposed to the idea of legalization are Repubs, based on their posting history here. It was the 'Pubs that initiated the "war on drugs." It was the 'Pubs who brought mandatory minimum sentencing to our legal system. I'm all for being nonpartisan and such, but I don't see a lot of elected Republican officials promoting any kind of cannabis legalization -- even of the medical variety.

I agree in principle, but who? Which Democrats are ranting and raving about keeping pot illegal? I would guess that the two or three people on this thread who seem opposed to the idea of legalization are Repubs, based on their posting history here. It was the 'Pubs that initiated the "war on drugs." It was the 'Pubs who brought mandatory minimum sentencing to our legal system. I'm all for being nonpartisan and such, but I don't see a lot of elected Republican officials promoting any kind of cannabis legalization -- even of the medical variety.
    True, Nixon, a Republican started the war on marijuana by not listening to a commission he created that advised, otherwise. But the Democrats at the State Capitol surely had most everything to do with instituting Okahoma's insane anti-marijuana laws during the many years they were in charge of the senate and house. These days Democrats say they can't do anything about their mistake in creating those marijuana laws, because the Republicans are in charge. It's up to Okahoma citizens to do something about it. Arkansas is trying to do something about it by getting any signatures on a petition to bring legalizing medical marijuana up for a vote. It only has until Friday to do it. If Arkansas doesn't get a petition together, I don't see how Oklahoma can.

Sorry to be a pessimist, but you'd likely have a far better chance of turning all 77 counties wet, lowering the age for wine and strong beer to age 16, and make both available to the 16 and up crowd at below wholesale prices through every grocer and convenience store in the state.

Not saying it oughta be that way or not, only that's pretty much how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Sorry to be a pessimist, but you'd likely have a far better chance of turning all 77 counties wet, lowering the age for wine and strong beer to age 16, and make both available to the 16 and up crowd at below wholesale prices through every grocer and convenience store in the state.

Not saying it oughta be that way or not, only that's pretty much how it is.
    Ha, I sense there is more interest in allowing sales of wines in grocery stores than in lowering the drinking age and legalizing marijuana combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I wonder what will be legalized first in Oklahoma - marijuana or same sex marriage? I would guess marijuana, since people get more emotional against the idea of legalizing same sex marriage. Whichever, I don't think the two will be far apart time wise in getting legalized. Oklahoma people get emotionally upset toward the idea of legalizing marijuana, too, even if only for medical marijuana.
    Same sex marriage will probably beat it by a decade IMO. But let's be honest..anyone who thinks either of those trends can actually be stopped isn't really living in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/12...g-cigarettes-/

A lot of people concentrate on the problems of addiction and driving while impaired. They also compare smoking pot vs. drinking alchohol. I think a closer approximation would be comparing smoking pot to smoking cigarettes. Smoking pot has quite a few health problems but we don't talk about them much. And before someone says that cigarettes are worse for you than pot, I have to point out, without really getting into the weeds of the argument, that neither one is harmless. If you'd hate to see a loved one ruin their lungs with cigarettes, I doubt it would be any less painful to see them do it with pot. If you don't smoke cigarettes because you know it's stupid, you might want to think about what pot can do to your lungs and health, too.
    Casual marijuana use is not a huge threat to the lungs like tobacco typically is. The volume of smoke taken in just isn't typically high enough. I would be more worried about the unknowns in long term brain development. THC is many times more active around nervous tissue than nicotine is. All of my friends who were smokers of either tobacco or marijuana have given it up now, but if anyone of me took the habit back up the tobacco use would concern me more.

I agree in p. rinciple, but who? Which Democrats are ranting and raving about keeping pot illegal? I would guess that the two or three people on this thread who seem opposed to the idea of legalization are Repubs, based on their posting history here. It was the 'Pubs that initiated the "war on drugs." It was the 'Pubs who brought mandatory minimum sentencing to our legal system. I'm all for being nonpartisan and such, but I don't see a lot of elected Republican officials promoting any kind of cannabis legalization -- even of the medical variety.
    "Raving", perhaps not -- but, Councilman Dr. Ed Shadid, purveyor & slinger of synthetic narcotics, is quite opposed to medicinal & recreational marijuana use. Don't take my word for it though, drop a dime -- he's happy to discuss the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
    "Raving", perhaps not -- but, Councilman Dr. Ed Shadid, purveyor & slinger of synthetic narcotics, is quite opposed to medicinal & recreational marijuana use. Don't take my word for it though, drop a dime -- he's happy to discuss the issue.
    So, maybe Shadid would love to see tobacco and alcohol banned.

Thread Information