Widgets Magazine
Page 126 of 141 FirstFirst ... 2676121122123124125126127128129130131 ... LastLast
Results 3,126 to 3,150 of 3524

Thread: Cannabis

1. Default Re: Cannabis

There’s probably some merit in significantly cutting the sentences, but i do wonder if we’d overwhelm whatever parol system we have with a blanket pardon.

Default Re: Cannabis

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    There’s probably some merit in significantly cutting the sentences, but i do wonder if we’d overwhelm whatever parol system we have with a blanket pardon.
    People that are awarded a pardon do not report to parole.

3. Default Re: Cannabis

March 7th. 2023. Special election for SQ820.

https://www.sos.ok.gov/documents/filelog/95078.pdf

I do hope people get out and vote in favor of this. Special elections are not always highly publicized or attended. The tax revenue from this would help the state so much! I am very glad it didn't wait til 2024, though.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    I do hope people get out and vote in favor of this. Special elections are not always highly publicized or attended. The tax revenue from this would help the state so much! I am very glad it didn't wait til 2024, though.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Why?
    Because why wait? The sooner we can possibly get it fully legal, the better.

And because it should've actually been on the Nov 8 ballot, but due to reasons which can be read about elsewhere.....

^^^ we really need a massive overhaul of the powers the governor and state has. As soon as a State question is approved to be put on the ballot by the people, it should be put on the first possible ballot.

IIRC, some states don’t even have citizen petition lead ballot initiatives which is insane to me. Or they make it really hard. Oklahoma is lucky in this regard so count your blessings I guess.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    ^^^ we really need a massive overhaul of the powers the governor and state has. As soon as a State question is approved to be put on the ballot by the people, it should be put on the first possible ballot.

IIRC, some states don’t even have citizen petition lead ballot initiatives which is insane to me. Or they make it really hard. Oklahoma is lucky in this regard so count your blessings I guess.
    While you can at least. Aren’t Stitt and his sycophants working on changing this?

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    While you can at least. Aren’t Stitt and his sycophants working on changing this?
    I think they’re tried but no success.

If the state can ever get rid of the sales tax on food, sales tax on rec cannabis would help make up for lost revenue. Gov. Stitt wants to get rid of tax on food, so maybe he's thinking the same thing and doesn't want to put it off until 2024.

Giving it a special election keeps it from influencing the primary and general elections. The March 7th date also gives the legislature time to change what it doesn't like in it, if it passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    If the state can ever get rid of the sales tax on food, sales tax on rec cannabis would help make up for lost revenue. Gov. Stitt wants to get rid of tax on food, so maybe he's thinking the same thing and doesn't want to put it off until 2024.

Giving it a special election keeps it from influencing the primary and general elections. The March 7th date also gives the legislature time to change what it doesn't like in it, if it passes.
    By ensuring a low turnout or (not influencing primary or general election) also gives this measure a much larger chance of failure. This was a partisan decision. As prescribed by law it should’ve been on this upcoming ballot but due to croneysim the petitions were intentionally delayed for political reasons. This will ensure lowest possible turnout.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I think they’re tried but no success.
    They're going to keep trying to kill citizen-led petitions/SQs (or at least make it insufferably hard to get one on the ballot) as long as they're in power, and if they can't do that, then they'll try to kill/wound the successful ones (they've already done or tried to do this at least twice).

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    By ensuring a low turnout or (not influencing primary or general election) also gives this measure a much larger chance of failure. This was a partisan decision. As prescribed by law it should’ve been on this upcoming ballot but due to croneysim the petitions were intentionally delayed for political reasons. This will ensure lowest possible turnout.
    Exactly.

It's interesting seeing the different results between Arkansas and Missouri, from a geographic comparability viewpoint, and also the results in both Dakotas where recreational also failed. I think there's a lot of assumption that recreational will pass easily here, but I think the path from medical to recreational isn't automatic nor should it be assumed to be inevitable in the near term. A lot of voters who support medical may not make the leap to recreational.

16. Default Re: Cannabis

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    It's interesting seeing the different results between Arkansas and Missouri, from a geographic comparability viewpoint, and also the results in both Dakotas where recreational also failed. I think there's a lot of assumption that recreational will pass easily here, but I think the path from medical to recreational isn't automatic nor should it be assumed to be inevitable in the near term. A lot of voters who support medical may not make the leap to recreational.
    I listened to a pretty long analysis of this on NPR yesterday afternoon. The analyst said she believes Missouri passed because the proposal was clearly written and included what the tax revenues would be used for. One for instance is a new substance abuse program. Apparently the other states weren't written as well. Hopefully Oklahoma's proposal writers learn from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I listened to a pretty long analysis of this on NPR yesterday afternoon. The analyst said she believes Missouri passed because the proposal was clearly written and included what the tax revenues would be used for. One for instance is a new substance abuse program. Apparently the other states weren't written as well. Hopefully Oklahoma's proposal writers learn from this.
    If it passes in March, they won't need to learn, but yeah, if it fails they should try something "proven" for a re-do.

18. Default Re: Cannabis

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    If it passes in March, they won't need to learn, but yeah, if it fails they should try something "proven" for a re-do.
    Better if they learned now and increase the chances of it passing in March.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Better if they learned now and increase the chances of it passing in March.
    If they make changes, it will likely have to go through the signature process again. It is what it is now.

If they make changes, it will likely have to go through the signature process again. It is what it is now.
    Yep, all we can do is wait, no changes nowhere... I'm sure the people behind it are smart enough to read up on what worked and what didn't this time in the various states, I hope, maybe, possibly, just in case.

21. Default Re: Cannabis

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Yep, all we can do is wait, no changes nowhere... I'm sure the people behind it are smart enough to read up on what worked and what didn't this time in the various states, I hope, maybe, possibly, just in case.
    After realizing it's already written I read the proposal. It actually has a lot of the same points as far as how revenue will be spent and the addition of substance abuse programs that probably got the Missouri question passed.

Nice update on drug reform laws here, nationally, and worldwide: https://www.marijuanamoment.net/thes...cember-1-2022/

Does anyone wonder about China buying large stretches of farm land in Oklahoma. I think because of Oklahoma's poorly written marijuana laws, the door is open to illegal grow operations. If you think crooks aren't illegally growing and shipping marijuana out of Oklahoma then you might be mistaken. What were Chinese nationals doing in Kingfisher that got them murdered? https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/22/us/ok...ths/index.html

I MIGHT vote for recreational marijuana if there were better controls on the whole business. Oklahoma shouldn't even consider legalizing marijuana for recreational use until the Feds legalize it. I don't think a grow operation in Oklahoma can deposit funds into a Federally insured bank, so what do they do with all of that cash? Launder it and ship it out of State and Country? Too much room for my favorite words...."hanky panky."

China can't really own land in Oklahoma, but they have used shell purchasers such as Matt Stacey (allegedly). The OMMA keeps talking a big game about implementing a seed-to-sale system. And whatever the system, there are going to be people who try to skirt regulations. If the State would get serious about taxing it at a higher rate to implement a properly funded regulatory system, maybe join them with ABLE, it coudl work.

That folks want to cultivate in Oklahoma and illegally export to states who either fail to make compacts with Oklahoma or want to stay stuck in the dark ages doesn't really bother me.

I'd rather the feds never legalize it as that is exactly what keeps marijuana a business something which can produce solid returns for Oklahomans. If the feds legalize, you can count on companies like Monsanto, Tyson, etc., getting in on the action and destroying every last mom and pop operation in the State. You'll still have illegal cultivatieon no matter what happens, but if the feds legalize, the only folks making money will be billionaires and outlaws.

Midtowner.....you might be right. I could see the big tobacco companies moving in and taking over. I do think the outlaws, cartels, etc., have already moved in. My LE buddies say it's like the wild, wild west here in Oklahoma. The medical marijuana bill passing, I think, was a surprise to most LE officials and the State, thus the lack of proper controls weren't in place, and we have these problems. I haven't read the proposal, but I sure hope there are some clear laws involved. We'll see.,

Thread Information