Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
This may be a bit off topic as it is not specifically about OKC but the general concept applies, and I thought was a pretty interesting watch.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rising-...tes-2022-03-20
The generation that is not long out of college will be the first to not live significantly better than the previous generation in a very long time -- probably ever in the U.S.

I did a study of my high school graduating class (1978) and since I had kept the address for everyone when we were in school and also know where they now live (I keep our class database of almost 1,000 people) and determined that in one generation, the increase in square footage per person in the household was more than a multiple of 4.

This group was from Putnam City HS at a time when that area of town was very much like the nicer parts of Edmond; generally upper-middle class. Then, families were bigger and houses were considerably smaller. And when I say smaller, even among big families with professional parents (which was most of my class) it was extremely rare to see a house over 2,000 SF. In my case, we had 7 living under one roof of about 1,500 SF. And our house was a little larger than most. Then I compared to where my parents grew up (also 7 but in a much smaller space) and on and on as you go back through generations.

Obviously, this trend (4X the SF per person in one generation) could not continue and has now started to reverse. And there are lots of bigger cities where buying any sort of home is out of reach for the majority of the population, especially young adults.