Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: OG&E Smart Hours Pricing Alerts

1. Default Re: OG&E Smart Hours Pricing Alerts

Unfortunately I have teenagers at home all summer long and they use every ounce of power they can squeeze out of the line. Yhey crank down the AC turn on the televisions and xboxes and fight over who can use the washer and dryer next. No conservation there.

2. Default Re: OG&E Smart Hours Pricing Alerts

You can sign up any time, just check the OG&E site. If you wait until June 1st, you will miss out on the entire month of June....we did. Unfortunately, as said, that's when you get the most bang for your buck out of it. The last 2 or 3 weeks of the peak season is where you get screwed the most. Some of those rainy, cool days were when we saw the highest prices. Believe me, i pissed and moaned about that. The market rate could not have been high given the storms were covering the entire region so the entire shared market grid was on lower usage. I call bull on that one. But at least it was one of the VERY few critical events in the whole season.

Default Re: OG&E Smart Hours Pricing Alerts

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Okay, well, whatever both of you guys say.... I was told by an OG&E representative that I can not sign up for or will it take effect until on or after June 1st 2013. Don't persecute the messenger...
    I signed up last Monday, online, and they are putting my new thermostat in this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    You can sign up any time, just check the OG&E site. If you wait until June 1st, you will miss out on the entire month of June....we did. Unfortunately, as said, that's when you get the most bang for your buck out of it. The last 2 or 3 weeks of the peak season is where you get screwed the most. Some of those rainy, cool days were when we saw the highest prices. Believe me, i pissed and moaned about that. The market rate could not have been high given the storms were covering the entire region so the entire shared market grid was on lower usage. I call bull on that one. But at least it was one of the VERY few critical events in the whole season.
    Remember OG&E predicts the rates a day ahead of time. But yeah, I don't understand the high rates on some of the cooler days either. OG&E used to have a big explination of how they calculated the rates on thier website, but it was way over my head. June was really good, 5 cent rates from 2-7 for most of the month. Also you can opt for a fixed 22 cents every weekday from 2-7pm. No 46 cents days, but no 5 or 9 cent days either.

OG&E showed up at my place last year to install their new smart meter. I asked the installer what's happens if I refuse to let him install it. He said that he would just leave but eventually I would be forced to have it installed. THAT pi$$ed me off!

Usually if I do business with a company, and I don't like the way I'm treated, I go somewhere else. It's hard to do that with a company that has a monopoly over most of the city. Residents just a half mile down the road from me are on OEC. Of those that I have talked to like their service and seem to have fewer power outages.

I don't like the idea of the use of their smart meter combined with the use of their smart thermostat giving them the ability to essentially come into my house and change the setting on my thermostat, which if their not doing already, they will be before too long.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    OG&E showed up at my place last year to install their new smart meter. I asked the installer what's happens if I refuse to let him install it. He said that he would just leave but eventually I would be forced to have it installed. THAT pi$$ed me off!
    At least you actually got to talk to an installer.

I got a letter some 18 months ago that they would be replacing my meter within 60 days. I'm still waiting for them to do so. Meanwhile I've reduced my consumption to less than half of what it was before -- and every time I try to sign up for the "Smart Hours" program, their web site says it cannot identify my account. Billing, however, identifies it every month without fail...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    -- and every time I try to sign up for the "Smart Hours" program, their web site says it cannot identify my account. Billing, however, identifies it every month without fail...
    Yeah, they sure know how to find you when it's time to collect don't they.

I've been on an REC and now am on the OGE Smart Meter Smart - Pricing program.
    We won't go back. ONG came in to our neighborhood last year and their policy is to charge a minimum of $13/mo even if you use no gas. We built total electric and we're staying total electric. It's a 2200 sf home built in 2011. With the heat pump water heater, 2 fridges, a freezer a 5 ton heat pump for Heat & Air and our highest bill over the past 18 months was $146. At our old house which was less than half this size, built in 1982, we often had combined OGE-ONG bills of over $300/mo.

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    We won't go back. ONG came in to our neighborhood last year and their policy is to charge a minimum of $13/mo even if you use no gas. We built total electric and we're staying total electric. It's a 2200 sf home built in 2011. With the heat pump water heater, 2 fridges, a freezer a 5 ton heat pump for Heat & Air and our highest bill over the past 18 months was $146. At our old house which was less than half this size, built in 1982, we often had combined OGE-ONG bills of over $300/mo.
    They WAY oversized your heatpump if your highest bill is only $146. A 2 to 3 ton would have been more than enough. If your house really needed 5 tons of heating/cooling your bill would be over $300 during peak months.

Usually if I do business with a company, and I don't like the way I'm treated, I go somewhere else. It's hard to do that with a company that has a monopoly over most of the city. Residents just a half mile down the road from me are on OEC. Of those that I have talked to like their service and seem to have fewer power outages.

I don't like the idea of the use of their smart meter combined with the use of their smart thermostat giving them the ability to essentially come into my house and change the setting on my thermostat, which if their not doing already, they will be before too long.
    The OGE thermostat is overideable by the customer. The program is entirely price driven, nothing is forced.
    You can keep your current thermostat and still be on the pricing program. If it's programmable set it to go warmer from 2-7pm in the summer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post
    They WAY oversized your heatpump if your highest bill is only $146. A 2 to 3 ton would have been more than enough. If your house really needed 5 tons of heating/cooling your bill would be over $300 during peak months.
    Rule of thumb is 400-500 sq ft per ton, so 5 tons is right. Efficiency and monthly charge doesn't necessarily depend on size as larger units runn less time. Over sizing can create more short cycling and loss of humidity control though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Rule of thumb is 400-500 sq ft per ton, so 5 tons is right. Efficiency and monthly charge doesn't necessarily depend on size as larger units runn less time. Over sizing can create more short cycling and loss of humidity control though.
    The 400 - 500sqft per ton rule was created in the 1960's when AC was first used in homes on a widespread basis. It has been passed down from generation to generation without thinking about WHY it's used. Today's homes are much better insulated than they were 50 years ago and don't need nearly as large of a HVAC system. HVAC contractors charge by the ton, so they have no incentive to change the rule and reduce the size of units. Consumers belive "bigger is better" so contractors have no problem selling the larger units. Serious problem occur when the units are increased in size but the ductwork isn't upgraded, which is often the case. AC units freeze up and furnaces trip on high limit.

Blog Entries

I'm with you on the sizing. Unfortunately there are plenty of homes with poor insulation and poor sealing of windows, doors, etc. Also, as you know, sizing dependent on orientation, sq ft of windows, one or two floors, amount of lighting, height of ceilings, etc. we don't have enough info to know what the proper sizing is or if it had bearing on their utility charge.

The OGE thermostat is overideable by the customer. The program is entirely price driven, nothing is forced.
    You can keep your current thermostat and still be on the pricing program. If it's programmable set it to go warmer from 2-7pm in the summer.
    Maybe the thermostats aren't not forced. Not yet anyway. But the meters were where I live. I live in a rural part of OKC and OG&E is eliminating the need for meter readers chasing around the outlying areas. They also eliminated self reading as well. I understand the need to be more efficient for both the electric company and the consummer, but it's not going to be too long before thermostats and appliances will all be tied to the smart meters and the power company will be able to adjust your power consumtion at will whether you like it or not.

I plan on swaping out my current programable T-stat for a NEST thermostat that I can set how I want, when I want, whether I'm at home or away. I don't need OG&E to be my nanny.

Maybe the thermostats aren't not forced. Not yet anyway. But the meters were where I live. I live in a rural part of OKC and OG&E is eliminating the need for meter readers chasing around the outlying areas. They also eliminated self reading as well. I understand the need to be more efficient for both the electric company and the consummer, but it's not going to be too long before thermostats and appliances will all be tied to the smart meters and the power company will be able to adjust your power consumtion at will whether you like it or not.

I plan on swaping out my current programable T-stat for a NEST thermostat that I can set how I want, when I want, whether I'm at home or away. I don't need OG&E to be my nanny.
    Good luck with that Nest. Be sure to do your research before purchase, especially if you have anything more than a basic single stage system. There are other alternatives that are Wifi controallable, such as the new Honeywells and the Ecobee.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm with you on the sizing. Unfortunately there are plenty of homes with poor insulation and poor sealing of windows, doors, etc. Also, as you know, sizing dependent on orientation, sq ft of windows, one or two floors, amount of lighting, height of ceilings, etc. we don't have enough info to know what the proper sizing is or if it had bearing on their utility charge.
    A 2011 home should be much better insulated than one made in the 60's. And it is, evidenced by the low power bills for the size of the house. My point is contractors have stuck with the 500sqft per ton rule w/o regard to the actual heat loss/gain on the house.

17. Default Re: OG&E Smart Hours Pricing Alerts

Good luck with that Nest. Be sure to do your research before purchase, especially if you have anything more than a basic single stage system. There are other alternatives that are Wifi controallable, such as the new Honeywells and the Ecobee.
    Had the Nest for a little while. Really didn't like it for the $$$ ($285). Changed the temps to randomly. Most likely because I work from home and come and go irregularly. I took it back and got a $120 wifi, touchscreen, one that also has an iPhone app that tracks consumption, rates, payment history, etc.

@Rezman - When we signed up for the SmartHours we told them we didn't want their thermostat - they didn't seem to care one bit. I highly doubt they will ever force customers to use only their thermostat.

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    We have a 2000 sqft house with a 10 seer heat pump with emergency natural gas backup. Long story short had a programmable thermostat problem all winter until January when we finally found someone competent enough to correctly install one and select the right settings. We were running about 130-150 in nat gas and 100-115 in electric per month keeping it around 68-71 around the clock. With the heat pump working (above 40 degrees) we've decreased our gas usage to 90-100 and are using 110 in electric.

I'm a huge fan of heat pumps when you have a knowledgeable tech to maintain the system. If you just call any heat and air in the phone book you'll end up paying more in wasted service calls in dealing with people who have no idea about them and how the systems operate and try to tell you that you need 800 dollars in replacement parts for stuff that isnt broken.

A 2011 home should be much better insulated than one made in the 60's. And it is, evidenced by the low power bills for the size of the house. My point is contractors have stuck with the 500sqft per ton rule w/o regard to the actual heat loss/gain on the house.
    Bingo, Bingo, Bingo. I've learned this the hard way on my own house. This builder's rule-of-thumb nonsense is a joke. If it isn't already, OKC home building codes should be modified to mandate that a proper Manual J calculation be performed and documented before any HVAC installation inspection is approved.

I've documented this in another thread, but after dealing with years of horrendous elec bills, I finally found an AC guy who was able to come out and tell me that my problem was because, basically, my builder's HVAC guy was not entirely competent - that decent quality materials were not installed in a manner indicative of someone who understood heat/air flow and cooling loads. He told me that my system was starved for return air, but that modifying my existing ductwork to fix the problem would represent a cost close to a third of replacing the entire system. Talk about frustrating...

I had to educate myself quite a bit on residential HVAC in that time, and I still only know a pittance, but I know enough now to know I've been paying through the roof because there was no oversight (and, thus, no consumer protection) in the design/install of the ductwork, and no load calcs done on the house. Very, very frustrating. I'd try to undertake adding that return duct myself, but I fear making matters worse.

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    I signed up last Monday, online, and they are putting my new thermostat in this afternoon.
    I understand that, lol. I'm just saying that I was "told" by a "representative" of "OG&E" that I had to "wait" til June 1st. Bravo and good for you

21. Default Re: OG&E Smart Hours Pricing Alerts

I understand that, lol. I'm just saying that I was "told" by a "representative" of "OG&E" that I had to "wait" til June 1st. Bravo and good for you
    Sometimes people can misspeak or be misunderstood. So if you want to make sure you get the smart hours pricing before it kicks in, definitely make the switch by May.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Sometimes people can misspeak or be misunderstood. So if you want to make sure you get the smart hours pricing before it kicks in, definitely make the switch by May.
    Oh yeah, definitely. To be honest, I don't know that I qualify. Do you have to live in a home or can you live in an apartment and sign up for the program? IDK. I may just do average monthly billing. It's been 4 months and they said I can sign up for that now if I wanted to.

Interesting on the HVAC rule of thumb being an old out of date standard. Hadn't even considered that when I was discussing this with the builder. I chose a 5 ton 15 seer heat pump with non programmable thermostat and R8 insulated duct work. The fact that the unit is oversized hasn't been a problem here. Humidity is never a factor that bothers us and since it doesn't run long it may last a few years longer. Our heater in the attic has the electric elements but the only time those have come on is if we adjust the thermostat more than 2 degrees higher. The Wife & I have learned to keep that little green LED off by incrementing the temperature only 1 degree at a time. Works for us since I'm always home. So far, even with temps in the teens, the heat pump has done the heating without firing off those heat strips.
    (which is something I thought wasn't possible if temps were below freezing. However I've verified that by the split mini system in one of our garages I use for a workshop. It puts out heat when the temps are below 20° also)

The installer showed up right on time, got everything all set up and explained how everything worked so yeah good for me

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    The installer showed up right on time, got everything all set up and explained how everything worked so yeah good for me

Thread Information