Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: OG&E Smart Hours Pricing Alerts

Default Re: OG&E Smart Hours Pricing Alerts

This is getting repetitive, it really is the hybrid vs regular car thread.

Either you want it and are willing to change your life for it or its not worth the price/ hassle.

2. Default Re: OG&E Smart Hours Pricing Alerts

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTell View Post
    This is getting repetitive, it really is the hybrid vs regular car thread.

Either you want it and are willing to change your life for it or its not worth the price/ hassle.
    Then I completely failed in my original post and my response to Brian. That's what I was trying to get through: it's about so much more.

For some that may be the bottom line though, you're right.

Have a good weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    Then I completely failed in my original post and my response to Brian. That's what I was trying to get through: it's about so much more.

For some that may be the bottom line though, you're right.

Have a good weekend!
    No i agree with you, I dont understand why users are so set in pointing out how the rest of us should use the program that they were stupid enough to sign up for.

For me ive never seen the payoff, but i have a traditional job and a programmable thermostat. So having my house at 85+ from 2-7pm doesnt make sense from me because thats the only time when im actually home and up to enjoy it.

My programmable thermostat is set at 85 from 8am-4pm, and i use timers and power strips to control electronics, led/cfl's lights in my house to lower cost, newer house, and energy star appliances. If someone has more flexibility than i do more power to them. I'm not going to go from being at 72-73 at work all day to 85 when i get those few precious hours at home in the evening.

Hmm..? Something's wrong on my usage page. It hasn't listed any info since 8am today.

5. Default Re: OG&E Smart Hours Pricing Alerts

It is a lifestyle change...that's the whole point of it. If you aren't willing to do that, then this is not for you. That's true for anything...weight loss, quitting smoking, etc. If you want to save money/energy, you have to change what you're doing. It's as simple as that. If you don't want to make those changes, then this is not a plan you will want to make use of.

I'm not trying to ram it down anyone's throat. I just get annoyed at people that keep pushing back at me and telling me that i'm not saving when i varifiably can show I am. Having someone believe that isn't a requirement of mine. That's why i say, if you don't want to hear how i'm telling you it's working for me, then fine. Continue to pay as you are and that's fine too. No one is going to tell you that you're wrong, just use the same courtesy with me and stop trying to tell me i'm wrong.

Like recycling and all sorts of other green programs, it takes work to make it work.

6. Default Re: OG&E Smart Hours Pricing Alerts

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    It is a lifestyle change...that's the whole point of it. If you aren't willing to do that, then this is not for you. That's true for anything...weight loss, quitting smoking, etc. If you want to save money/energy, you have to change what you're doing. It's as simple as that. If you don't want to make those changes, then this is not a plan you will want to make use of.

I'm not trying to ram it down anyone's throat. I just get annoyed at people that keep pushing back at me and telling me that i'm not saving when i varifiably can show I am. Having someone believe that isn't a requirement of mine. That's why i say, if you don't want to hear how i'm telling you it's working for me, then fine. Continue to pay as you are and that's fine too. No one is going to tell you that you're wrong, just use the same courtesy with me and stop trying to tell me i'm wrong.

Like recycling and all sorts of other green programs, it takes work to make it work.
    I agree - it is a lifestyle change and unfortunately in our society if we aren't rewarded, we rarely change.

Just this morning I went for a health checkup/screening even though I hate going to the doctor and I'm confident my health is better than most Americans. Why did I go through the hassle of having to stop eating/drinking at 9pm (while still at the Mustache Bash) last night, having to get up and park downtown, fill out paperwork, sit in a waiting room, blah, blah, blah..... Because my insurance provider is giving me $400 if I do it and it comes back that I'm healthy - which I was/am.

I sat through a ridiculous defensive driving course for an entire day awhile back because my car insurance agreed to reduce my rate by 15%.

Awhile back I wanted to lose about 55 pounds.... guess what, I had to stop making excuses and change some things in my life and I was rewarded by looking and feeling better.

Does everyone want to make changes even if there is a benefit? Nope. Do they have to? Nope.

But when people use lines like "I dont understand why users are so set in pointing out how the rest of us should use the program that they were stupid enough to sign up for" then they are simply making it clear who the really 'stupid' ones are.

In your mind the benefit may not outweigh the changes you'd have to make. Fine. But it certainly doesn't negate the fact that the program does exactly what it says/promises it will do - save you money.

If you can arrange your life around their 2 to 7 rules where they can arbitrarily charge you up to 10 times (1000%) your regular (lower than other folks who aren't on the plan) and everything else in between (on the rate scale), then it is up to a person's individual circumstance if it is "stupid" or "smart" to sign up for it.

One of my main problems with it is instead of saying this is the base rate and you will get lower bills if you switch your usage to outside the 2 to 7 pm that would be one thing. But instead of rewarding you, they are penalizing you with the multiplier rate increases. Anyone who doesn't see charging someone 10 times or 1000% more for something, just because they can...

As long as it remains voluntary and you can chose to be on the "smart plan" or not is one thing...but when they decide that everyone has to be on the plan (just like you don't have any choice if you have a smart meter or not)...

8. Default Re: OG&E Smart Hours Pricing Alerts

Except the dollar amount still comes out a savings Larry. That's what we've spent 7 pages of discussion telling you. If you dont' want to believe it us, then fine. I get the impression that you aren't really interested in hearing how it actaully saves money and rather just want to claim the program is a fraud.

Smart meters do more than just record your data. For one thing, they are more accurate and there can't be any claims one way or the other that they are "jipping" you. They also allow for cost reduction in manpower for reading them. Instead of climbing into each yard, they simply drive by....or have it report in to their system and don't by at all.

I'm not a fan of OG&E or anything. In fact I think they take every opportunity to screw us over. So don't mistake me for someone all rah rah OG&E. I'm simply passing on the information for how I was clearly able to reduce my energy costs in the summer by a rather significant amount. And as i've said before, it's not for everyone. But just because you don't like it, doesn't make it stupid or a screwjob....that's just your opinion as someone who hasn't even given it a try. If you want to claim it that way, then I challenge you to test it out. The smart season is almost over for the year so you'll have to wait. And make use of the free energy audit as well. They'll tell you (without offering any services to correct anything) about how/if your home is losing energy anywhere. Things like window caulking, insulation, etc. Then they'll make an appointment to install the smart thermostat. After you've done all that, and given it a few months of testing in the summer....then if you still think it's a screwjob, by all means bad mouth it all day long.

I honestly think that if you used smart hours and still ran your AC at a slightly higher temp (say 78) and just made an effort to not use other high consumption devices (stove, dishwasher, dryer, toaster, hot water if electric) during peak time, it would still save money due to the discount during off peak. If you are chasing the super efficient numbers like me, I turn the AC way up, but I still think your average price paid per kwh would go down.

Compared with my average last year, smart hours has resulted in $150 savings for me thus far. Plus free thermostat, which will help me save on my natural gas bill this winter. That's worth something right?

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    Compared with my average last year, smart hours has resulted in $150 savings for me thus far. Plus free thermostat, which will help me save on my natural gas bill this winter. That's worth something right?
    My neighbor told me that they had saved $150 in just the last month on the Smart Hours program. It's our first year in this house so I have no comparable rate history.

If it works for you, GREAT!

What I am saying is that it has been my experience, whenever I try to do the things they suggest, it results in higher bills, not lower. Same for my mom. To keep the apt/house comfortable, we have to keep the thermostats set on 70 degrees. That's with fans circulating whenever we are home too. Turning it up to 78 degrees even for those few hours would raise the temp so much that it takes literally several hours of the unit running nonstop, just to get it back down to a comfortable range. In the mean time you are uncomfortable and sweating for about 10 hours a day total.

As I said it is the misleading claims they are making that rub me the wrong way the most. They aren't rewarding folks for changing their behavior/energy usage, they are penalizing you if you don't by a factor of up to 10 times the amount (1000%). That is even if you can conform to the rules sufficiently. There was an article recently in the Oklahoman that had a chart showing that the majority of a persons bill was temp control. An even more recent article mentioned that the franchise tax paid to the City had come in 32% more than projected. The City explained it as meaning that residents were using 32% more electricity because of the high temps we had been having. While I am certain that part of the overage can be attributed to that, how much of it was attributed to OG&E charging some folks up to 10 times (1000%) more.

13. Default Re: OG&E Smart Hours Pricing Alerts

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    If it works for you, GREAT!

What I am saying is that it has been my experience, whenever I try to do the things they suggest, it results in higher bills, not lower. Same for my mom. To keep the apt/house comfortable, we have to keep the thermostats set on 70 degrees. That's with fans circulating whenever we are home too. Turning it up to 78 degrees even for those few hours would raise the temp so much that it takes literally several hours of the unit running nonstop, just to get it back down to a comfortable range. In the mean time you are uncomfortable and sweating for about 10 hours a day total.

As I said it is the misleading claims they are making that rub me the wrong way the most. They aren't rewarding folks for changing their behavior/energy usage, they are penalizing you if you don't by a factor of up to 10 times the amount (1000%). That is even if you can conform to the rules sufficiently. There was an article recently in the Oklahoman that had a chart showing that the majority of a persons bill was temp control. An even more recent article mentioned that the franchise tax paid to the City had come in 32% more than projected. The City explained it as meaning that residents were using 32% more electricity because of the high temps we had been having. While I am certain that part of the overage can be attributed to that, how much of it was attributed to OG&E charging some folks up to 10 times (1000%) more.
    That assertion of charging folks up to 1000% more would only apply if those folks signed up for SmartHours and then total ignored the program - wouldn't it?

Before signing up for SmartHours I paid a flat rate of 10.5 24/7 regardless of the temperature outside. I chose to take advantage of lower rates most of the year and I feel I am rewarded for it. I could have stayed where I was and I would not be effected by critical days.

BBates: not my understanding of it. Even if you divert what you can (showers, laundry, dish washer etc) and bump up the temp, they are still charging you up to the 10 times rate (1000%) on the remainder, right? The only way I see them not charging you that amount is if you shut down the power to your house at the main breaker box between 2 and 7 weekdays.

15. Default Re: OG&E Smart Hours Pricing Alerts

BBates: not my understanding of it. Even if you divert what you can (showers, laundry, dish washer etc) and bump up the temp, they are still charging you up to the 10 times rate (1000%) on the remainder, right? The only way I see them not charging you that amount is if you shut down the power to your house at the main breaker box between 2 and 7 weekdays.
    You are acting like it is an all the time thing. The peak critical rates do not happen all the time.

All day Sunday & Saturday, and then outside of the 2PM to 7PM the rate is $0.027.

During 2PM-7PM your rate can be any of the following:
    Low Rate: $0.027 (which has happened several times this summer)
    Standard Rate: $0.068 (more typical, such as this is the rate for tomorrow/Monday)
    Medium Rate: $0.14
    High Rate: $0.38
    Critical Rate: $0.46 (just a handful of events per year)

My current bill for this month has the critical rate accounting for 5% of my bill. Though the peak period (2-7PM) equals my charges for all off peak times for the month so far. However, I also have computer equipment that can't be shut off so no big deal there.

So I know you love tossing the 1000% percent thing around a lot, but I just don't see it taking up a huge portion of my bill.

16. Default Re: OG&E Smart Hours Pricing Alerts

If I'm reading you right - then no, I don't think your understanding of the plan is being accurately portrayed.

My understanding; If I divert my electric load (wash dishes, laundry, AC, etc) to times other than 2-7pm weekdays (Jun/July/Aug) then I am guaranteed to pay the lowest rate possible to any OGE customer. From 2-7pm (Jun/July/Aug) OGE can deem those critical days and bump the rate all the way up to $0.4600. However, there have been only a handful of days they've actually done that. While they 'can' charge me up to 17x my lowest possible rate - its only on rare occasion and I most certainly can control those costs during those set times by limiting my electrical load. Considering the rest of the year the rates are so much lower than I was paying to be on the guaranteed flat rate plan, this is a much better deal.

17. Default Re: OG&E Smart Hours Pricing Alerts

Bates is correct. Your understanding of how the program works is incorrect Larry.

Did anyone else's smart thermostat break today? My central air has not turned on once all day.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    You are acting like it is an all the time thing. The peak critical rates do not happen all the time.

All day Sunday & Saturday, and then outside of the 2PM to 7PM the rate is $0.027.

During 2PM-7PM your rate can be any of the following:
    Low Rate: $0.027 (which has happened several times this summer)
    Standard Rate: $0.068 (more typical, such as this is the rate for tomorrow/Monday)
    Medium Rate: $0.14
    High Rate: $0.38
    Critical Rate: $0.46 (just a handful of events per year)

My current bill for this month has the critical rate accounting for 5% of my bill. Though the peak period (2-7PM) equals my charges for all off peak times for the month so far. However, I also have computer equipment that can't be shut off so no big deal there. Where are you getting the low rate of 2.7 cents? Someone had posted earlier that the low rate was 4.5 cents (op to 46 cents). If your 2.7 rate is correct, that means an even higher multiplier and percentage increase

So I know you love tossing the 1000% percent thing around a lot, but I just don't see it taking up a huge portion of my bill.
    No I am not, never said the 10 times/1000% happened all the time. Sometimes you have to wake people up to the reality of what they are really being charged..."oh it's just pennies, no big deal". Except those pennies add to your bill quickly. The old adage goes Multiply those pennies by the number of customers OG&E has and it probably means millions. I think every time I mentioned "up to", sometimes going the extra step and pointing out it can range from the low or high end with a lot of steps in between. Don't you realize that even for that relative small part of the day and the relative few days when they can charge the highest rate, they can more than make up for any 'savings" you might be enjoying? If your 2.7 cents figure is correct, it doesn't take long at all at up to a 17 times or 1,700% increase (with the various steps along the way).

It is like going to Homeland...you can get some good deals in the weekly ad, but if you buy anything else that isn't on sale, the store has already made back any discounted price "savings". Sometimes even with double or triple coupons, they have raised the price on it (at the high point of a typical 12 week cycle), so even after taking off the multiplied coupon, you are paying more than another store that has a regular everyday low price and the normal coupon. Of course, sometimes you can get lucky and they will be at the low pricing point of the cycle and if you use your double or triple coupon you may get the item for free or they might even give you money back on it.

What do you consider to be price gouging? Reportedly, under Oklahoma law it isn't considered price gouging at all unless someone charges more than 10% (like for a gallon of gas, if $3/gal, can't jack up the price more than 10% or $3.30), but only during times the Governor has declared a state of emergency. I asked the question before, but recently, the Gov, did declare a state of emergency and I was curious if that applied to folks like OG&E, which would limit them to just charging the standard rate as any other step in the scale falls outside of the 10% rule (by multiples)

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    If I'm reading you right - then no, I don't think your understanding of the plan is being accurately portrayed.

My understanding; If I divert my electric load (wash dishes, laundry, AC, etc) to times other than 2-7pm weekdays (Jun/July/Aug) then I am guaranteed to pay the lowest rate possible to any OGE customer. From 2-7pm (Jun/July/Aug) OGE can deem those critical days and bump the rate all the way up to $0.4600. However, there have been only a handful of days they've actually done that. While they 'can' charge me up to 17x my lowest possible rate - its only on rare occasion and I most certainly can control those costs during those set times by limiting my electrical load. Considering the rest of the year the rates are so much lower than I was paying to be on the guaranteed flat rate plan, this is a much better deal.
    So you are saying that if you shift some of your usage to other times of the day, they are only going to charge you the minimum amount on what you do use during those times that you didn't shift? Presume there would have to be some percentage or hard limit of kilowatt usage to determine that. As long as you remain under that limit (just shifting some stuff) then you can willy nilly run all you want during the 2 to 7 times???

21. Default Re: OG&E Smart Hours Pricing Alerts

Take your total gross bill and divide by kw used. Post your number here. I have usage and costs for the last ten years on my place . What can say? I'm a energy dude. Hate OGE, worked there for 8 years. But, my lowest ever $/kw prior to May of this year was 10.9 cents/kwh. Last 3 mos. 7.3, 8.0, 9.2. The bottom line is that to figure out your unit cost, not your total. Most of us are at work from 2-7 pm anyway.

Plainsman: Thats what I am saying, if it works for you that is GREAT. More power to ya (pun intended). It has been my experience that it doesn't work and since my work hours fall outside of the norm, coming home to a hot apt after I get off work just will not work.

My cost for electricity for July came to .084 cents per KW. I am on the Smart Hours plan. So what did you pay Larry?

24. Default Re: OG&E Smart Hours Pricing Alerts

Plainsman: Thats what I am saying, if it works for you that is GREAT. More power to ya (pun intended). It has been my experience that it doesn't work and since my work hours fall outside of the norm, coming home to a hot apt after I get off work just will not work.
    I work from home, so I'm here in full work mode during the critical hours. On my second week - temps in the 90's and even 100 and its been fine here. Of course that will depend on your home's insulation rating.

But, its like anything else, if having your home cool is worth the extra money spent then you probably are not a good fit for Smart Hours. People spend their money on all kinds of things they may not need to, but that doesn't necessarily make it wrong. I shake my head every time someone I know buys a brand new car - needless waste of money in my opinion - but its what they want and as long as you're making a fully informed decision then its whatever suits you.

25. Default Re: OG&E Smart Hours Pricing Alerts

So you are saying that if you shift some of your usage to other times of the day, they are only going to charge you the minimum amount on what you do use during those times that you didn't shift? Presume there would have to be some percentage or hard limit of kilowatt usage to determine that. As long as you remain under that limit (just shifting some stuff) then you can willy nilly run all you want during the 2 to 7 times???
    I can hog up all the electricity I want outside of the 2-7pm critical hours (Jun-Aug) and I will always pay significantly less than people who are not on Smart Hours. That said, most of the time between 2-7pm Jun-Aug I only pay what I was already paying via guaranteed flat rate pricing.

No percentages. Just watch for notices and if the price will be high the next day from 2-7pm them turn the thermostat up a tad and don't use high use appliances.

Thread Information