Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: High Density Living: Norman Edition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default High Density Living: Norman Edition

I know this has been discussed on the UNP thread, but I think this topic deserves its own thread:

http://normantranscript.com/headline...alks-in-Norman

Default Re: High Density Living: Norman Edition

I saw a bid for a 6 story residential development, for 100 units, and associated parking garage, currently in design phase, and estimated start date November 1, 2012.

I just think its really cool how Norman officials are gathering input from the public to proceed with such developments.As a former long time Norman resident, it will be really cool to follow these developments come to fruition, from the design phase to groundbreaking. They just need one good project to get the ball rolling, then they will have these high density units, popping up everywhere, good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    I saw a bid for a 6 story residential development, for 100 units, and associated parking garage, currently in design phase, and estimated start date November 1, 2012.

I just think its really cool how Norman officials are gathering input from the public to proceed with such developments.As a former long time Norman resident, it will be really cool to follow these developments come to fruition, from the design phase to groundbreaking. They just need one good project to get the ball rolling, then they will have these high density units, popping up everywhere, good deal.
    Either those are huge units or its a pretty thin development. Where exactly is this going in?

The crazy thing is that Lawrence, Manhattan, and Stillwater of all places have already been overtaken by the urban-style student housing craze. Especially Little Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Either those are huge units or its a pretty thin development. Where exactly is this going in?

The crazy thing is that Lawrence, Manhattan, and Stillwater of all places have already been overtaken by the urban-style student housing craze. Especially Little Apple.
    It didn't say where, I wonder if they will cater these developments to students or the general public.

Spartan, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these high density residential developments end up in UNP in Village Center. I just don't think its a coincidence that now all of a sudden the city is getting requests for high density residential ordinances shortly after confirmation that Legacy Park is finally moving forward, and 250,000 sqft of retail is coming. If you remember the first vision of UNP was supposed to be this mixed used mecca.

It would be great if there more high density developments started up near campus corner and Main Street to really solodify those as urban environments. I mentioned on another thread that there are a few houses along Boyd (between campus and the Mont) that could be bulldozed for some higher end student living. While a few of those houses have nice character, some are falling apart.

IMHO there would be some demand for very high end condos near OU (with in easy walking distance) but not too close to the rail road tracks.
    The question is where?

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    IMHO there would be some demand for very high end condos near OU (with in easy walking distance) but not too close to the rail road tracks.
    The question is where?
    I doubt it, most college students can't afford to live in high end condos.

I don’t think the demand would be great but I do think there may be a few endowed professors and wealthy OU alumni that might be interested.

The Stillwater model that has really taken off (they're going to have four developments like this one soon) is like this:

http://www.stillwaterflats.com/

The Aggieville area of Manhattan has a lot of these kind of developments also.

Broaden your thinking. Several nice homes in Norman over the years where someone bought the place, parked their college aged child in it, permitted he or she to have a few roommates to assist with or cover the mortgage, then either sold it or hired a mgmt. firm to continue leasing it out once their babydult graduated or repeated the process with a younger sib. Done right, it's a far better deal than paying dorm rent or housing for the pride and joy.

12. Default Re: High Density Living: Norman Edition

Not only are there some wealthy alumni and professors who might be interested, but keep in mind that OU has a substantial out of state student population. Many of these students come from high income households. There are many parents who might be interested in purchasing an investment property for their kids and to keep after they graduate for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerliberal View Post
    Not only are there some wealthy alumni and professors who might be interested, but keep in mind that OU has a substantial out of state student population. Many of these students come from high income households. There are many parents who might be interested in purchasing an investment property for their kids and to keep after they graduate for various reasons.
    I hadn’t thought about that from that angle but there have normally been some very wealthy students from the Middle East who are enrolled in OU’s energy programs.

There are also a few very wealthy OU alumni that own very nice homes in Norman and only use them on football game weak ends and for a few other events per year.

Several years ago there was talk of high end condos being built south east of the duck pond.
    IMHO it would probably be better if they were much closer to the campus corner area.

You guys have pretty much touched on the demographics that the Boyd lofts are targeting.

I don't think that is the archetypical project we are talking about, however. They need to find a way to make urban-styled housing out of economical, probably prefabricated parts that can be leased around $400-500/mo and compete with all the student housing east of campus.

I think the key for high-density housing in a college town is economic diversity while maintaining reasonable building standards.

As for the Legacy Park, I drove by the other day and saw it shaping up decently. It looks like the park-frontage is taken up by the nicest looking Discount Tire I have ever seen. I'm going to go ahead and guess there won't be a Discount Tire on the ground floor and housing above the car garage lol.

Was anyone able to make it to yesterday's meeting? I intended to go but ended up getting sick, so I had to miss it

Well, my long-held fears of Norman going down the tubes have picked up renewed energy in the recent weeks. As you all may know, there have recently been several proposals to build high density apartments or condos in Norman. Since Norman has no high density codes or regulations, the city is beginning discussion on how to form the ordinance to deal with high density development. At the first few discussions, Norman's liberal core came out against it. It appears they organized their opposition long ago. Some of the reasons they gave would have made some of you die of laughter. One said high density development would ruin privacy because people living in the development would be able to see into everyone's backyards; another said they didn't want Norman to become like New York City. Norman's core liberals seem to think high density development is a conspiracy by evil, conservative developers.

To make matters worse, I now see Norman's Tea Party is beginning to organize against it as well. They claim high density is just a front to implement "Agenda 21." In Norman, every single thing is a conspiracy to implement Agenda 21 to the Tea Party.

So, we now have the strange bedfellows scenario playing out, where Tea Party activists join forces with the core liberals to oppose high density development. It should surprise none of you that they don't understand a thing about high density, pro or con.

Where are these density projects going to be located, I mean are there specific locations?

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    Where are these density projects going to be located, I mean are there specific locations?
    There have been multiple proposals, but the only one I know the location of is on Boyd, east of Campus Corner. It would be across from (west of) the Mont, where those old apartments currently stand. I'll confirm that and get back to you on it. I believe there is also one proposed for downtown Norman.

Edited to correct one of the proposal locations.

The CC area development discussion was postponed, again, at the request of the developer.
    Vote on high-density rezoning request postponed for fifth time » Headlines » The Norman Transcript

Strange that someone should equate being against high density living with liberals. I've never heard that before. That's normally more of a conservative mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Strange that someone should equate being against high density living with liberals. I've never heard that before. That's normally more of a conservative mantra.
    This. This seems like a conservative complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I was very surprised by it myself, yet that's where the majority of the vocal opposition has come from so far.

Echoing the sentiment, never in a million years would I have thought that liberals would think high-density housing was a conservative conspiracy.

24. Default Re: High Density Living: Norman Edition

I think Norman has to be careful in where they allow these developments. The main objective though should be to establish density in core areas. I would say that Downtown Norman should have priority right now and later the campus area. If anything, permit high density/high rise condos/apartments in downtown and then use it as a launching pad for street car transit system from there to campus. Once Downtown has had time to fill out and redevelop fully, then look at adding additional areas.

One of the hot button developments was an apartment complex at NW 36th and Tecumseh.
    It looks like its being opposed by virtually everyone living in that part of town.

Thread Information