Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bethany/Warr Acres

1. Default Re: Bethany/Warr Acres

It's about time they did something at that corner. It's a shame the building couldn't be re-purposed somehow, but it's better to redevelop it than to just let it rot even further.

Default Re: Bethany/Warr Acres

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just drive up lyrewood lane north of 63rd between mcarthur and meridian.

They call the whole area "lyrehood".
    Rockwell and MacArthur

Bethany Public Schools is close to finishing a bunch of new upgrades to the campus including: new entrance awning, new gymnasium awning (and signage), a new STEM building, auditorium renovations, and other improvements. Pictures are on the school's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/bhsbronchos/

I graduated from Bethany High School a few years ago and I'm glad to see some much needed renovations and new construction are occurring! IMHO, it's the best public school district in the metro (I'm biased, I know :-) ).

double post.

Who is the owner of the house being built at NW 36th and Council? I know this was talked about on a thread *somewhere* but can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Who is the owner of the house being built at NW 36th and Council? I know this was talked about on a thread *somewhere* but can't find it.
    I heard it was a towing business but don't quote me on that.

Quote Originally Posted by chestercheetah View Post
    I heard it was a towing business but don't quote me on that.
    Yes, the property on the NE corner of NW 36th and Council is owned by the proprietor of Twister Towing at 6221 N. Mueller.

It looks like some type of garage / auto-related building that is going up, as there are two overhead doors facing Council; one is quite large (tall).

Then, there is a 2-story space to the east that may be for offices?

Things being built in Bethany / Warr Acres or most everywhere outside the OKC limits are more problematic because most don't have their permit systems on the 'net. And the few times I call it's like they think I'm a terrorist and aren't very helpful. (at least this was the case in Warr Acres and The Village)

I'd forgotten when I put this in the Bethany/Warr Acres area the property is actually in Woodlawn Park, so there wouldn't a Bethany, Warr Acres permit. Not sure if Woodlawn Park has any permit or building review process. When I've asked about that in the past, the answer was something like there is not really a formal government, no taxes, more like an incorporated homeowners group with no real authority, but I have hard time believing that is entirely the case.

Wikipedia says it's an incorporated town with a Board of Trusties. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodlawn_Park,_Oklahoma

Appears it will get brick with a stone cap to 6' above ground. Strange.

A contractor who did some work for a friend claims he's working on it and it's a house.

I remember when Lyrewood Lane was very nice apartments with nice tenants and Westpark Mall was nice too.

What killed it, in my opinion, was when it got older and no money was put back into the apartments and Section 8 was the next step.

I'm not being mean spirited. Unless there's a big demand and shortage of real estate ( see coastal California for example) then urban sprawl and new construction is the way things go, it's pretty much inevitable.

Another example is the Willowcliff Apartments off of NW 50th and Ann Arbor. Back in the 1970's -1980's that was a very nice and desireable location to live. It became run down, sold and renamed and it's a crap hole now. Last year I had to see some patients there and saw with my own eyes.

It's really sad but that's how things go and change as time goes by.

I grew up in that area.

What happened was the unbridled growth north. Virtually everyone I grew up with moved to far North OKC and Edmond and that area was left behind.

It's happened over and over again in OKC and it is happening again now in the PC North area and parts of West Edmond.

Grew up around 50th & MacArthur in the mid 60's to the late 70's---we had a house that was built in 1966...but I hated the whole area then... and honestly it's not much better now.

My wife just spoke with the owner of Twister Towing and yes it is going to be his personal residence.

Thread Information