Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bethany/Warr Acres

Default Bethany/Warr Acres

Am I just missing something or does there seem to be absolutely nothing happening in Warr Acres/Bethany since the MacAurther widening project?

Default Re: Bethany/Warr Acres

Yeah that area seems to have gone downhill.

From some of the studies on housing developments they will be doing good to maintain service to all their areas. Their core strategy for growing income was new houses on vacant land for decades but they both have little or no land to develop further. The existing housing stock continues to age, which may be leading to lower incomes per household, which would lead to less local services, retail & amenities.

I give it 10 years before Warr Acres at least starts making plans to be annexed by OKC, with Bethany not far behind.

They are not unlike other small towns in the fact that they have a really weak tax base (little in the way of retail, no new residents being added, little new construction). Much like Snowman stated, they have an increasingly low income population and aging infrastructure that is putting pressure on services.

Big city problems that must be fixed by small town resources? Its just not sustainable. They can start recruiting retail, but most new retail on the Westside is going towards Yukon or along the I-40 corridor. Or they can do what Bethany is doing and start handing out tickets like hot buttered rolls, especially on 39th. But how long can that last?

Both cities paths are kinda cloudy right now

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    .. Or they can do what Bethany is doing and start handing out tickets like hot buttered rolls, especially on 39th. But how long can that last?
    As long as there are cars, jaywalkers, & other ticket applicable incidents?

Are there any plans to try and revitalize these areas?

The biggest problem in Warr Acres (other than the extremely low-standard apartments in the Lyrewood area) is the old Westpark Mall.

This has been discussed in another thread, but I looks like something straight out of inner city Detroit and occupies a very prominent intersection.

There had been rumors the current slumlord was close to a sale but I spoke to a WA councilperson who told me that the owner has basically said: "I own it free and clear and as long as there is at least one tenant, it makes money and I don't plan to do a darn thing."

There is some sort of dollar store and maybe one other small tenant in the whole place. It's a horrible black eye not only on WA but that entire area of town.

I can't believe WA doesn't have any recourse in terms of enforcing codes to at least get the place painted and some of the crater-filled parking lot repaired.

I did happen to spend some time in the Warr Acres Library, as it opened when I was a kid and I used to walk there all the time. I was very happy to see it looked almost exactly like I had remembered, but they have also done a very nice job of maintaining it, with some minor updates.

It was very busy and had lots of good resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The biggest problem in Warr Acres (other than the extremely low-standard apartments in the Lyrewood area) is the old Westpark Mall.

This has been discussed in another thread, but I looks like something straight out of inner city Detroit and occupies a very prominent intersection.

There had been rumors the current slumlord was close to a sale but I spoke to a WA councilperson who told me that the owner has basically said: "I own it free and clear and as long as there is at least one tenant, it makes money and I don't plan to do a darn thing."

There is some sort of dollar store and maybe one other small tenant in the whole place. It's a horrible black eye not only on WA but that entire area of town.

I can't believe WA doesn't have any recourse in terms of enforcing codes to at least get the place painted and some of the crater-filled parking lot repaired.

I did happen to spend some time in the Warr Acres Library, as it opened when I was a kid and I used to walk there all the time. I was very happy to see it looked almost exactly like I had remembered, but they have also done a very nice job of maintaining it, with some minor updates.

Where is this apartment complex at? I'll probaly swing by and have a look tomorrow when i'm in that area.

Just drive up lyrewood lane north of 63rd between mcarthur and meridian.

They call the whole area "lyrehood".

Just drive up lyrewood lane north of 63rd between mcarthur and meridian.

They call the whole area "lyrehood".
    I'll do that thanks I'll also check out that library you were talking about as well. Seems pretty neat.

It is too bad that Warr Acres has gone to pot. It used to be a decent area around 25 years ago. Maybe the residents do not care anymore? As far as the owner of the shopping center, typical slumlord and "cheap" as well.

Lyrewood is in OKC limits not Warr Acres and from what I hear Wal-Mart neighborhood market is going in Westpark Mall.

I know Lyrewood isn't actually in Warr Acres but it has a tremendous impact on it.

I hope you are right about the Walmart market but we've been hearing that for quite a while.

now that I think about it my uncle who works as a supervisor at Wal-Mart told me they were going to be relocating the 23rd MacArther neighborhood to another location on MacArther. Thinking about it further 63rd and MacARther would be the most appropriate location for it. The area is vastly underserved as far as grocery stores go and you got thousands of of people their spending our money(food stamps) on food in the area which won't help warr acres as food stamps do not contribute to sales taxes. Wonder what the nursing home behind westgate would think of a Wal-mart on their doorstep.

Why can't they annex Warr Acres to Bethany right now? I still dont know which street seperates them

The border jogs back an forth about a dozen times between Bethany & Warr Acres; near 66 it is about 3 blocks west of MacArther, goes up to 8 blocks west nearer to the airport and tapers back to 3 blocks west near NW Expressway.

As far as Bethany annexing Warr Acers that seems pretty unlikely. Warr Acers will probably want to stay independent till it has no choice, by that point it would be unlikely combining them would solve much. Plus there is limited upside for Bethany, why would they want to add areas that in general are taking in less revenue than it takes to maintain assets and provide services.

they currently share an animal shelter I would not be surprised if they end up consolidating trash service in the next few years maybe even fire coverage but I think that would stop at the police depts as they are a funding source for both communities.

Anyone have an idea on what the building is going to be going up on the west park parking lot?

Quote Originally Posted by 1972ford View Post
    Anyone have an idea on what the building is going to be going up on the west park parking lot?
    That is a building for the Family Dollar store which is currently in the shopping center. They will be demolishing the shopping center for the construction of a Walmart Neighborhood Market and this will allow that store to move there before the shopping center is demolished.

That's what I was thinking as well. Looks like wal mart is footing the bill too with that cheap construction

Perhaps it's a temporary structure until the old shopping center can be demolished and rebuilt?

In any event, as much as it's sad for me to see yet another big chunk of my history fall to the wrecking ball, I'm glad to finally see progress on this corner. It's been hideous for years.

Were this Ohio, where cities are dependent on retail tax growth, the city would just eminent domain the west park mall and redevelop it with a crony developer. The resulting redevelopment would be pretty fabulous.

Legacy Village Home

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Were this Ohio, where cities are dependent on retail tax growth, the city would just eminent domain the west park mall and redevelop it with a crony developer. The resulting redevelopment would be pretty fabulous.

Legacy Village Home
    Nice development Spartan. This reminds me so much of the "Shops at Legacy" in Plano.

It was just an inner ring suburb, Lyndhurst, that was losing tax revenues and had to make an aggressive economic development move. Demographics in Lyndhurst are alright, but incomes are about half what you'd see in bordering suburbs like Beachwood and Shaker Heights. They just had extremely high traffic counts that supported a nice redevelopment project here.

Warr Acres has traffic counts.

Quote Originally Posted by 1972ford View Post
    That's what I was thinking as well. Looks like wal mart is footing the bill too with that cheap construction
    That type of construction is typical for those kind of stores. There is a Dollar General store less than a block from this location on MacArthur with an almost identical type of building. They don't sell items for a dollar from expensive buildings.

Thread Information