Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NBA Finals - Thunder vs. Heat / Celtics

Default Re: 2012 NBA Finals - Thunder vs. Heat / Celtics

We'll beat the Heat with a good ol' THUNDERSTORM!

I want us to celebrate the Championship on our own court in Game 6 or 7 but at the same time, I want Thunder to get these 4 wins over with fast.

I honestly believe we can beat the Feat twice at home and once on the road to wrap it up here in 6 games.

From this point in time, I'll let my nails grow out so I'll have something to bite off if it goes 7.

In the meantime...I haven't shaved since we last lost. Its not a Harden beat but it will do!

I wish they would have Mike Tirico as the commentator. I dont think I can listen to Mike Breen and Jeff Van Gundy in a 7 game series.

I have to apologize every time I say this...I can't help it...it's my hometown. The matchup for the NBA Finals - Miami, Oklahoma.

We moved to NW Washington State a year or so before the Sonics were "stolen". We've never been basketball fans, but it's been so much fun to listen to the Seattle folks whine. One sports cast showed Clay Bennett speaking the night the Thunder won the division final. The cutline at bottom of the screen said Punch in the Gut and the sportscaster called it Disgusting. Three of the letters to the Seattle TImes sports editor this morning were actual acknowledging that Howard Schultz was as much to blame as the Oklahomans. Through all this, I guess I've become a Thunder fan...of course the OSU Pokes will always be my favorite...

Here's my favorite letter from a few weeks ago:
    Take Thunder out of this story

I wish to point out a glaring factual error in last Sunday's Sports section regarding the Oklahoma City Thunder's first-round playoff victory over the Dallas Mavericks. The article erroneously describes the win as the "first playoff sweep for franchise since 1996 Supersonics." Let's get one thing straight: The Oklahoma City Thunder were never, are not now, and never will be an extension of the Sonics. They are the spawn of Beelzebub, children of the corn "as high as an elephant's eye" because it sprouted out of unadulterated cow pucky.

— David Arntuffus, Shoreline

Quote Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
    Let's get one thing straight: The Oklahoma City Thunder were never, are not now, and never will be an extension of the Sonics. — David Arntuffus, Shoreline
    I can live with that. Any chance we can get the NBA to make it official?

Here is what the final agreement said on this subject:

According to the conditions of the settlement, the Sonics' name and colors could not be used by the team in Oklahoma City, but could be taken by a future team in Seattle, although no promises for a replacement team were given. The OKC team would retain the franchise history of the SuperSonics, which could be "shared" with any future NBA team in Seattle.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...nitrial02.html

Quote Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
    I have to apologize every time I say this...I can't help it...it's my hometown. The matchup for the NBA Finals - Miami, Oklahoma.

We moved to NW Washington State a year or so before the Sonics were "stolen". We've never been basketball fans, but it's been so much fun to listen to the Seattle folks whine. One sports cast showed Clay Bennett speaking the night the Thunder won the division final. The cutline at bottom of the screen said Punch in the Gut and the sportscaster called it Disgusting. Three of the letters to the Seattle TImes sports editor this morning were actual acknowledging that Howard Schultz was as much to blame as the Oklahomans. Through all this, I guess I've become a Thunder fan...of course the OSU Pokes will always be my favorite...

Here's my favorite letter from a few weeks ago:
    Take Thunder out of this story

I wish to point out a glaring factual error in last Sunday's Sports section regarding the Oklahoma City Thunder's first-round playoff victory over the Dallas Mavericks. The article erroneously describes the win as the "first playoff sweep for franchise since 1996 Supersonics." Let's get one thing straight: The Oklahoma City Thunder were never, are not now, and never will be an extension of the Sonics. They are the spawn of Beelzebub, children of the corn "as high as an elephant's eye" because it sprouted out of unadulterated cow pucky.

— David Arntuffus, Shoreline
    No sympathy from here. The city of Seattle, King County and Washington state had pleny of opportunities to save the Sonics.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan View Post
    I am really hoping for Celtics-Thunder Finals, Celtics are the only team I am rooting for

If there is Heat-Thunder Finals, I am not going to watch, it is going to be boring just like Heat-Mavericks Finals last year

I hate the Thunder and Heat with a passion but if I have to choose one, I would root for the Thunder since I am a Magic fan

Good luck to the Thunder in the Finals!
    Uh, last years finals was amazing. And if you're a Magic fan then I would go ahead and count on having nothing to look forward to for a while. Terribly run organization. I went to a game there this year and the fans don't seen to care much either.

Looking at Robinson and Reno tonight; saw several media members walking around as well.

ESPN Trailers near CHK Arena 6.10.2012 by dani1262, on Flickr

ESPN's latest poll update.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/polls?pCat=46&sCat=3062

The only state that thinks the Heat will win is Florida. The only states rooting for the Heat are Florida and Alabama.

It reminds me of this. LOL

All this talk of the Thunder winning is jinxing us.

As much as I always say the league is rigged, I've been proven somewhat wrong, now that the Thunder have made the Finals. However, just because we made it, doesn't mean the refs won't rig the games, to ensure the cHEAT win it all.

If a lot of people bet on the Thunder to win, Vegas will make sure to put a call in to those refs and tell them to make sure the cHEAT win. If Vegas doesn't, Stern and the NBA will make sure to rig the games for the cHEAT to win, so they don't make a bigger market fanbase mad, who will then boycott the league, causing them to lose ratings.

I love the Thunder, but the league has been known to rig games, or refs who are on Vegas Bookie's payroll. The players are at the mercy of refs who can rig games.

As much as I love the Thunder, cHEAT and that arrogant fool Lebron, is destined to win his first ring.

Latest poll says all but 49 states are rooting for the Thunder, that 1 state is actually NOT Washington lol.

Quote Originally Posted by megax11 View Post
    All this talk of the Thunder winning is jinxing us.

As much as I always say the league is rigged, I've been proven somewhat wrong, now that the Thunder have made the Finals. However, just because we made it, doesn't mean the refs won't rig the games, to ensure the cHEAT win it all.

If a lot of people bet on the Thunder to win, Vegas will make sure to put a call in to those refs and tell them to make sure the cHEAT win. If Vegas doesn't, Stern and the NBA will make sure to rig the games for the cHEAT to win, so they don't make a bigger market fanbase mad, who will then boycott the league, causing them to lose ratings.

I love the Thunder, but the league has been known to rig games, or refs who are on Vegas Bookie's payroll. The players are at the mercy of refs who can rig games.

As much as I love the Thunder, cHEAT and that arrogant fool Lebron, is destined to win his first ring.
    Do you wear your tin foil hat in public or just in your home?

X 1000!!
    Last edited by foodiefan; 06-11-2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: lost the ""never part of the SS" somewhere along the line!!

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBoy18 View Post
    Latest poll says all but 49 states are rooting for the Thunder, that 1 state is actually NOT Washington lol.
    Butt States? ;-)

Obviously Florida.

Just saw some of the lights downtown on News 5. They look pretty sweet! Glad the Devon tower is blue too!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Butt States? ;-)

Obviously Florida.
    Lol Oh I didnt realize I messed up on that post

When someone gets a good TV shot of the Arial view tonight can they post it on here?

I always try and pick out the best scenes and do a screen capture through TiVo.

So any news about which celebrities might be visiting our city for the game tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I always try and pick out the best scenes and do a screen capture through TiVo.
    I'm curious. How do you screen shot on your tv? Do you watch on your computer?

GREAT Press Release out on Business Wire:

The Renaissance Continues: Oklahoma City Prepares for Its First-Ever NBA Finals

OKLAHOMA CITY--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Ten years ago, the idea that Oklahoma City could have a professional sports team of any type – let alone a championship-caliber NBA team – seemed an impossible dream. That being said, for a community like Oklahoma City, a community united by a dedication to character and growth, impossible dreams merely exist as possible opportunities.

“I would guess that for a lot of people coming to the NBA finals, this will be their first time experiencing Oklahoma City”
    On June 6, 2012, the Oklahoma City Thunder beat the San Antonio Spurs in a 107-99 victory in Oklahoma City, taking command of the Western Conference and clinching their slot in the NBA Finals. Now, Oklahoma City is preparing to welcome thousands of guests, athletes and media who will descend upon the city this week. The more than 1.3 million residents who call Oklahoma City home are ready to make sure their guests leave with more than just an incredible basketball experience – they want them to leave knowing that Oklahoma City is a vibrant, growing metro area - one with a unique history, heritage and an overwhelming sense of unity that is difficult to replicate.

“Oklahoma City is a dramatically different city than it was 20 years ago,” said Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett. “Back then, anyone downtown after 5 p.m. was just working late. There was nothing to do and no reason to visit the area. Today’s Oklahoma City is filled with dining, cultural and entertainment options – with more added every day. You’ll need ample time to really experience everything our downtown – and entire metro area – has to offer.”

During the past 20 years, the transformation Oklahoma City has achieved is so all-encompassing that many started referring to Oklahoma City as the city that emerged from “tragedy to triumph.” It started in 1993 with the passage of a sales tax known as Metropolitan Area Projects, or “MAPS,” which funded the most aggressive downtown revitalization ever undertaken in the U.S. MAPS included plans to build a professional sports arena, even though there was no promise of a team to play there. Many thought MAPS was too radical of an idea for the public to support, especially considering the citizens would have to agree to tax themselves. It seemed impossible. But much to the surprise of many, the voters took a chance and voted “yes” for MAPS.

Then tragedy struck. On April 19, 1995, the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building was bombed in a terrorist attack that claimed 168 lives.

“We were in shock,” said Meg Salyer, Oklahoma City councilwoman and president of Accel Financial Staffing, whose office was located downtown at the time. “We couldn’t imagine that something like that could happen here.”

It would have been easy to take a step back, to halt progress. But rather than hang their heads, Oklahoma City residents came together in a show of unity unlike anything the country had ever seen.

“We were determined to move forward,” said Ron Norick, Oklahoma City mayor from 1987 to 1999, who was serving as mayor during the bombing. “This was the most horrific thing you could imagine happening, but we weren’t going to let it break us. We were going to pick ourselves up, come together, and be better than we were before. It made us even more determined than we already were.”

Under that banner of unity, the city moved forward not only with building the arena, but also by saying yes in 2001 and in 2009 to the passage of MAPS for Kids and MAPS 3. Over a 20-year period, the city went from a sleepy town to a bustling metro area invigorated by more than $5 billion in new public and private investment throughout the city. A new ballpark, a mile-long downtown canal, an official Olympic training site at the river, new and renovated schools and, of course, Chesapeake Energy Arena.

Today, the arena is home to the city’s beloved Thunder, and tourism in Oklahoma is a $6.2 billion industry. Oklahoma City consistently ranks at the top of “best of” lists for everything from job creation to a strong real estate market to charitable giving. It has the lowest unemployment rate in the country, and is home to Fortune 500 energy companies Devon Energy and Chesapeake Energy, corporate headquarters for Hobby Lobby, Sonic – America’s Drive In, Love’s Travel Stops & Country Stores, and others. The city is home to a vibrant aerospace sector, a growing bioscience industry cluster that employs more than 51,000 across the state, and was recently named one of the top three cities in America to start a small business.

“I would guess that for a lot of people coming to the NBA finals, this will be their first time experiencing Oklahoma City,” said Carl Edwards, Greater Oklahoma City Chamber chairman and partner at Price, Edwards, & Company. “I think they are going to be surprised by what they see. Our citizens are sincere, friendly and giving. We can’t wait to support our team and show our guests what we’re all about.”

Community leaders from across the city are coming together to make sure those visiting Oklahoma City for the finals enjoy a positive experience. They will be hosting an online media room at www.okcnewsroom.com, where press kits, photos, packaged stories and b-roll for the media will be made available.

“This is our chance to introduce Oklahoma City to the world,” said Roy Williams, president and CEO of the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber. “Yes, we are about sports and NBA basketball, but we are about so much more than that. We have an incredible story. We are a city full of incredible people.”

The Thunder’s first game in the NBA Finals will take place on Tuesday, June 12 in Oklahoma City against the winner of the Eastern Conference Championship Series. Basketball fans from more than 200 countries will watch, listen and participate in the action.

For more information about Oklahoma City, please visit our new Oklahoma City microsite www.okcnewsroom.com, which will be live on Sunday, June 10 at midnight, or contact Jill Harrison at JHarrison@okcchamber.com or (405) 297-8990. For more information about the NBA finals, please visit www.NBA.com.

Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/...304234&lang=en

Contacts

Greater Oklahoma City Chamber
    Jill Harrison, 405-297-8990
    jharrison@okcchamber.com

Thread Information