Widgets Magazine

Thread: Downtown Parking Fees

Far North Downtown Parking Fees

This proposed change would raise parking rates to $2 / hour all over downtown.

It's unclear whether 1 hour would be the minimum time, as currently you can buy as little as 15 minutes for $.75 a the electronic meters; you can pay less at the mechanical meters.

The proposal shows sharp increases in total fees collected and comes just as the city is trying to raise funds to finance a new parking garage required by the Omni convention center deal.

Pay-by-plate among proposed changes to on-street parking in downtown Oklahoma City

Post Date:08/02/2017 11:16 AM
    Proposed changes to on-street parking in downtown Oklahoma City will standardize time limits and add more convenient ways to pay for your space.

The changes, introduced during Tuesday’s Oklahoma City Council meeting and set for a public hearing Aug. 15 and vote Aug. 29, would let drivers simply enter their license plate number when making a payment and impose the same time limit on every on-street, metered space downtown.

Each metered space would have a two-hour time limit, simplifying the various limits currently in force around downtown. The new rate for on-street parking would be $2 per hour.

Multi-space pay stations will be modified to with keyboards to accept license plate information, and they’ll be distributed more broadly throughout downtown and Bricktown. The stations will accept coins and debit or credit cards, replacing stations and meters that only accept one or the other. That brings added convenience to nearly all areas with metered parking.

The new pay-by-plate system eliminates the current step requiring customers to place a receipt and sticker on their windshield after walking to the meter to make a payment.

The new pay stations also have the potential to communicate with smartphones for payment with possible technology upgrades.

Other changes proposed Tuesday include the addition of dedicated parking spaces for electric vehicles, allowing pedicabs and human-powered vehicles to use on-street spaces, clarify exemptions for people with physical disabilities, clarify usage of metered spaces by taxicabs and adding an administrative fee for vehicles impounded due to arrest.

2. Default Re: Downtown Parking Fees

Are the free hours still the same? After 5:30pm all spots are free?

Default Re: Downtown Parking Fees

To people who travel more than I do - is the price of parking in downtown OKC comparable to other cities our size?

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Are the free hours still the same? After 5:30pm all spots are free?
    I think its moving later to 6:30.

While this may certainly raise some extra revenue, the increased price will encourage folks who plan to stay for a few hours or longer to use the garages. This will clear up on street parking for folks who just need to park for a few minutes to two hours. I think this is a good move and is intended to help local businesses.

^

I'm very sure the primary motivation is to raise revenues.

I have never had an issue finding on-street parking during the day and in fact did so easily this morning.

If it's $.75 for 15 minutes now, that's $3 an hour. Unless you have confirmation that there's a minimum, how is this an increase?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    If it's $.75 for 15 minutes now, that's $3 an hour. Unless you have confirmation that there's a minimum, how is this an increase?
    i think it's actually $.75 for 30 minutes at the current rate.

Because their own projections show fees going up by $600K a year.

Mainly because the huge majority of meters are mechanical where you can put in a nickle or dime for short-term durations.

So wait, prices are indeed goingdown on some of the meters? wow, I was way off in my post!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Because their own projections show fees going up by $600K a year.

Mainly because the huge majority of meters are mechanical where you can put in a nickle or dime for short-term durations.
    I guess I would need confirmation on any minimums to have a strong opinion. The increased revenue may be projected due to increased accessibility, ease of use, new payment options, and such.

Frankly, I rarely park downtown and need less than an hour or two, so can't see a minimum bothering me, but I can see someone doing a quick payment or whatever at a municipal building and only needing 15-20 minutes being bothered. But making rates more consistent, and improving the technology and everything? It's a good thing.

These are the rates that were in their last report on spots metered by the old-style mechanical devices.

There are over 1,000 of these which far outnumber the electronic meters with the higher rates.

I guess I don't see the mechanical meters. All the places I've been downtown like near the art museum and the Civic center seem to have the electronic ones. I've liked being able to pay once and move around downtown.

I am curious where someone can park for an hour and 15 minutes for 25 cents though.

I guess I don't see the mechanical meters. All the places I've been downtown like near the art museum and the Civic center seem to have the electronic ones. I've liked being able to pay once and move around downtown.
    It's really only the Project 180 areas that have the electronic meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's really only the Project 180 areas that have the electronic meters.
    Ah. Most the places I go to outside of that area tend to have free parking, or I'm there in the evening, so I don't notice. I don't even carry change anymore because it's gotten to where I don't need it.

edit: oops, wrong post

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonjock View Post
    To people who travel more than I do - is the price of parking in downtown OKC comparable to other cities our size?
    I know Chicago is way bigger than OKC, but parking meters in the loop in Chicago are about $6.00/hour, which is a steal if you can find one since parking overnight at a hotel is around $50/night.

Thread Information