Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 116 FirstFirst 1234567891055105 ... LastLast

Thread: Friends for a Better Boulevard

Default Re: Friends for a Better Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I think this is one example where you're a little out of touch with reality on the ground.

To maintain the federal funding I believe they will need to re-initiate the EIS public planning process, which is extremely outmoded anyway.
    says the guy that is telling the city to move the CC to north Broadway ... something that has no chance of even being discussed and most likely caused your email/letter to be 100% discounted

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    says the guy that is telling the city to move the CC to north Broadway ... something that has no chance of even being discussed and most likely caused your email/letter to be 100% discounted
    OK...something I've been meaning to ask for a while:

Who are you?? I don't doubt that you are an insider, I just want to know who you are once and for all. And why are you so committed to having the CC where it is planned?

And why is it that having the only decent idea relating to the CC, that the god damn thing be moved, discounts a bunch of other good ideas? What does that say about this "planning" process being ran by city engineers..

I don't even know what a single one of bouldersooner's posts have to do with topics at hand anymore, so getting back to topic (unless he/she wants to tell us who they are)..

I hope they do build the damn earthen ramp and make it as ugly as possible, and build the damn convention center in the middle of the park, just so this city can get what it probably deserves. Why even bother anymore? I'm giving up and washing my hands of this crap, I can't even explain why I cared to begin with...something about wanting to see my hometown grow up or some nonsense.

Spartan - all you can do is try and educate people. You can lead horses to water but you can't make them drink. Part of being an activist is dealing with people who don't agree with you and you can't convince everyone all the time about everything. Even when discussing issues with like-minded people you still find differences (I still don’t agree with using couplets but there is nothing I can do about it). You have to just keep plugging away.

5. Default Re: Friends for a Better Boulevard

Coming soon...

i hope they do build the damn earthen ramp and make it as ugly as possible, and build the damn convention center in the middle of the park, just so this city can get what it probably deserves. Why even bother anymore? I'm giving up and washing my hands of this crap, I can't even explain why I cared to begin with...something about wanting to see my hometown grow up or some nonsense.
    C,mon Spartan. This is the "adult" equivalent of taking your toys and going home. If we all quit when it got hard, most of us wouldn't be where we are in our lives. I can just about guarantee you that intransigence and resistance to change are the hallmarks of city government everywhere. You enjoy the victories when they occur and try to mitigate the negative effects of bad decisions. You fight until its clear you can't win, and at that point you take a deep breath and move on to your next battle. Or you move to Portland and find another hobby.

Who are you?? I don't doubt that you are an insider, I just want to know who you are once and for all. And why are you so committed to having the CC where it is planned?

And why is it that having the only decent idea relating to the CC, that the god damn thing be moved, discounts a bunch of other good ideas? What does that say about this "planning" process being ran by city engineers..
    so your CC on north Broadway is "having the only decent idea relating to the CC" ... wow ..

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Or you move to Portland and find another hobby.
    This isn't bad advice. I'll admit there are times when it seems easier to just move to a place that is already established instead of having to swim against the current all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    Coming soon...

Exciting! Conceptual renderings very much needed for such visions. Great to have architects on the forum!

I love the traffic circle and iconic architectural feature, but you can lose the people in the rendering. No one is going to be hanging out or walking through a traffic circle that connects 8 roads (unless you can go to the top of something and enjoy the view - which might not be a bad idea). Anyone know where we could get a Ferris Wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    so your CC on north Broadway is "having the only decent idea relating to the CC" ... wow ..
    It's just the way Nick works. Look at me! Look at me! I'm the only one who is right and everyone else is wrong.

His insistence of infallibility undermines those ideas of his that have some amount of traction.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    It's just the way Nick works. Look at me! Look at me! I'm the only one who is right and everyone else is wrong.

His insistence of infallibility undermines those ideas of his that have some amount of traction.
    Yeah, but if you know that, isn't it easy to listen to him? I find that he's got a lot of good ideas that he embraces with gusto and an enthusiasm that I find refreshing. I also find that I don't agree with all of 'em and still enjoy the heart he backs 'em up with. Spartan: keep it up. The fat lady hasn't sung on this one, yet.

Nick means well, I've read on other boards where he's defended OKC very well. He just wants the same improvement that the rest of us want. He probably needs to control himself to a degree, but he has a passion for what he believes and I respect that. Nick, don't get discouraged, just focus on the small steps, and before you know it you've made a difference.

just a fyi i don't like the location for the new CC .. i think it is a very poor choice (although we badly need a new CC our current one is an embarrassment for a city our size) the mayors location is IMHO the best compromise site the best thing about both locations is having the CC hotel directly across from the Peake. and having that (most likely) very nice hotel on our new BLVD. now is the site east of the park "perfect" ... no but it is much better than having a 500+ room hotel on north Broadway.

Can you please not use my first name? It creeps me out, I don't know you.

Fair enough. Does this mean I can't sit at the cool kids table?

Sure, have a seat. I don't mean to ignore other posts, it was just a barrage of attention which contrary to the erroneous belief you were pushing, I'm not at all trying to get personal attention. I'm trying to push ideas that gain traction.. the few on here who do actually know me know that the last thing I want out of this is personal attention.

The problem with OKC is that you can't just throw an idea out. This is a good ole boy town. When you go up to speak, you better have a name and explain who you are and why you matter, or else your idea is thrown out. It's not right, but in order to be taken seriously around here, you have to jockey around and pretend you're important.

I think yesterday I was in a bad mood from trying to navigate screwed up P180 construction sites just to get to lunch and then seeing demolition staging around Hale. Bad moods happen to people..mea culpa.

I don't suppose this means Cornett, Wenger, Couch, most of the Council, and Ridley are no longer criminals.

I like your ideas, but at times the volume is way too loud.

I don't suppose this means Cornett, Wenger, Couch, most of the Council, and Ridley are no longer criminals.

That's funny (considering there's no volume control on this site). I think it's all about how you envision him voicing his posts. You could read them imagining he's furious and about to explode but you could also read them as if he's reading a bedtime story to kindergartners.

I don't need to comment on the professional integrity of these guys, this should be an issue-based discussion. I think there is a very serious problem with engineers being in control. Even Steve Lackmeyer has reiterated that the cooperation that got us where we are today has broken down as engineers have manipulated leadership and now they are calling every single shot.

So there is a leadership problem that a lot of this speaks to, and that's not just me calling certain individuals' actions criminal, but that's a sentiment that has been reiterated by much more knowledgeable and official sources than me.

Gotta check out the Friends for a Better Boulevard Facebook page.... http://www.facebook.com/groups/483683684978845/

Absolutely amazingly detailed concepts. Some real effort put forth.

(Catch22) -

Thank you for your email and sharing your thoughts about the new Oklahoma City Boulevard. Please let me assure you that the City, and the Oklahoma Department of Transportation who is the lead designer for the project, will take your concerns into consideration as the design of the new roadway continues to be developed. The traffic circle concepts that have been developed by the community for the Western/Classen/Reno/Exchange area have been communicated to ODOT, and the option is being considered by traffic and design engineers to determine the feasibility of such a solution. No decisions have yet been made, and we should know more in the coming weeks.

In response to the Boulevard design, much of the new roadway spanning Downtown Oklahoma City will be at grade and will encourage much needed economic development in the area. Currently plans anticipate reaching grade at approximately Lee Avenue on the west and Oklahoma Avenue on the east. However, portions of the new Boulevard must be elevated so connections can be made to the existing I-44 and I-35 interchanges. Much planning has already taken place, and there will be tremendous opportunities to integrate the new MAPS 3 Convention Center with the new Boulevard, MAPS 3 Park and Streetcar System. Pedestrian access is a key part of the overall design, and consultants have been recently selected for each of these projects, providing a unique opportunity to have them work closely together and create something very special for the City.

I appreciate your interest, and thanks again for sharing your ideas.

Eric

Eric J. Wenger, P.E.

Director Public Works/

City Engineer

(405) 297-3486

eric.wenger@okc.gov
    Speedy reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Gotta check out the Friends for a Better Boulevard Facebook page.... http://www.facebook.com/groups/483683684978845/

Absolutely amazingly detailed concepts. Some real effort put forth.
    Those are some good concepts. I think anything that requires more right of way to be purchased so roads can be moved around will be rejected, unfortantly. The city engineers don't want to delay and redesign everthing.

24. Default Re: Friends for a Better Boulevard

This is based on the roundabout idea I sketched out a couple of years ago. At the time, I was just speculating about the look and feel of the new boulevard. Once the issue of the boulvard design is started to heat up, I decided I needed to take the time to further explore the idea. It is by no means perfect or complete, but this series of images represents a conceptual idea of what our boulevard could (and I believe should) be like.
    Enjoy!

The full PDF (27 MB) can be downloaded here:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15393885/Fi...esentation.pdf

I repeat my previous comments. Traffic circles can look pretty and lend themselves to fountains and statues. That's all they're good for.

Thread Information