Widgets Magazine
Page 104 of 116 FirstFirst ... 45499100101102103104105106107108109 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 2876

Thread: Friends for a Better Boulevard

Default Re: Friends for a Better Boulevard

I think it would be helpful for everyone to remember that without the efforts of FBB, ODOT would nearly be done building their horrendous 1990's design - now.

There has always been room for different ideas within FBB, but all of them are centered around the goal of forcing the city and ODOT to listen and reconsider what truly would have been disastrous. I am solidly in the Alternative 'D' camp but acknowledge 'C' with improvements is still far better than ODOT's original proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    I'm not going to bother.
    Are you smoking crack or something? I didn't insult you and hold FBB in very high regard. I hold you in high regard, as long as you get off crack.

I was just saying I think you have more leverage here than you realize, just from the outside looking in.

LOL. Ok bro. Ok. I will cut down on my vices.

No, in all honesty, I think we are maximizing our leverage even if it might appear to all that we are not doing so. Let's talk offline over beers in Cleveland or when you come back to OKC. I need to fly up that way anyway.

And also... the Better Block folks are doing a great job making the argument for the grid and there is stuff going on I simply am not going to post on OKC TALK that we are doing. Best to all and thanks for taking an interest in this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Are you smoking crack or something? I didn't insult you and hold FBB in very high regard. I hold you in high regard, as long as you get off crack.

I was just saying I think you have more leverage here than you realize, just from the outside looking in.
    Are you mainlining smack?

I appreciate that but I distinctly remember arguing against D and that doesn't help any leverage with ODOT. And I'm down!

Eric Wenger's second response to my e-mail. Here was my reply and below was his response:

"Eric, thank you for your response.

My understanding of the boulevard (with your help) is there would be a bridge over Western, then for it to dip under the Santa Fe rail line with a four lane road in between and then rise back up to connect to I-40/235, would that be accurate? If so, we have a school just west of the Myriad Gardens, a huge park that is going to be built south of the new boulevard and possibly housing built in and around that area for families. Now, think about a person living in housing adjacent to the park and walking their child to school north across the boulevard. Are there going to be proper crosswalks for people to get across the street without getting run over by some crazy guy trying to get home from work?

Another thing ODOT has stated is that they expect traffic to increase as employment and residential living increases downtown. What they are not taking into account are the future developments in transportation such as our increased use of buses, the streetcar and the eventual use of light/commuter rail.

Now, you said, “the alternative that meets the majority of Oklahoma City’s criteria is Alternate “C” which is a 4 lane design (2 lanes in each direction) with a landscaped median, reduced speed, wide sidewalks and parallel parking on both sides of the street.” But, when looking at the pdf from odot.org, the area south of the proposed convention center (north of the new central park) and south of the Chesapeake Energy Arena, those four blocks are six lanes due to long turn lanes with no landscaped medians in the middle. Also, the majority of the area south of Bricktown is three lanes on the north side and two on the south side for a total of five lanes. Why is it so necessary for these areas to be six lanes when they are so close to where we expect people to be congregating and living?

The mayor has promoted healthy living in OKC for quite some time now and we need this street to move some people, but it does not have to move 58,825 a day in and out of downtown, regardless of how far in the future we are looking, that is I-40 is for. What I would like to see from the area specifically between Hudson and EK Gaylord is a four lane street with short turn lanes, wide, landscaped medians, bike lanes and street parking on either side with a speed limit not to exceed 25 mph.

Again, thank you for your response and understanding where I am coming from. I am a huge advocate for the city and I only want what’s best for us and our children. This street will help shape the future of OKC for years to come. Let’s get it right the first time."

And his response:

"Yes, your understanding is correct and the City is supporting the new Boulevard to be a 4-lane design (2 lanes in each direction) that is pedestrian friendly, encourages development provides connectivity to downtown. As I mentioned in my previous email, the best example that I can offer of a street in downtown is Reno Boulevard that was recently re-constructed as part of Project 180. The lanes were narrowed to 11 feet, enhanced crosswalks were provided at each intersection and widened sidewalks were added to the amenity zones that created a pedestrian and bicycle friendly corridor in the downtown area. The new Boulevard will also include 11’ lanes and many of the same design features found on Reno Avenue. Enhanced crosswalks will be included, and between the new MAPS 3 Park and the new MAPS 3 Convention Center, preliminary designs are being made to include a mid-block pedestrian crossing. This crossing could be similar to the one that was developed between the new Devon Tower and the Myriad Botanical Gardens. The speed limit on the Boulevard through downtown area is also proposed at 25 mph to further enhance the safety.

As downtown Oklahoma City continues to grow, there are expectations that traffic will increase. The design of the new Boulevard will include the necessary details to accommodate the MAPS 3 streetcar should the proposed route or future extensions be desired. The railroad underpass at EK Gaylord has taken into account the height of the streetcar, and with the parallel parking that has been proposed, future streetcar stops on the Boulevard can also be made. Although not part of the Boulevard project, the new Oklahoma City Intermodal Hub will be constructed at the existing Santa Fe Depot on EK Gaylord between Reno and Sheridan. It is paramount that the City provide a highly accessible hub that can be reached by bike, pedestrian, car and other modes of transportation while also being connected to the downtown streets including the new Boulevard.

As for the images provide by ODOT, I agree these may be confusing. The actual design of the Boulevard has not been completed as ODOT is still working to address questions that were raised last year during the public meeting process. The environmental study which is currently underway includes evaluating multiple alternates, but once completed, the City will be able to work closely with ODOT on the actual design. The design will focus on the details including turn lanes, many which are currently shown on the images but have not yet been fully detailed. I believe it is the turn lanes shown on the images that make it appear certain alternatives have 6 lanes instead of 4. Again, I emphasize the City is committed to a 4-lane design, with the possibility of left turn lanes at certain intersections, much like Reno Avenue which is already in place in downtown.

ODOT has recently posted a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) worksheet and rendering of the alternatives on their website. You can reach their website by visiting the City’s website at City of Oklahoma City | News. I think the additional information is helpful, so I encourage you to visit at your convenience.

Thanks again for your interest in the project and for your comments and suggestions.

Eric"

Blog Entries

I got that also

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I got that also
    Exact wording?

Blog Entries

On further review, no, not exact wording

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    On further review, no, not exact wording
    Eric probably has Alternative A, B and C email responses ;-)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

11. Default Re: Friends for a Better Boulevard

They'll call this an accident, I'm sure. But it's an accident like getting cancer after smoking all your life is an accident. Pedestrian struck at NW Expressway and Meridian:
    Person struck by vehicle in northwest Oklahoma City | News OK

All this, and more! Coming to downtown OKC soon! This message brought to you by ODOT.

12. Default Re: Friends for a Better Boulevard

Additional information including renderings:

Open House: 7th of May, 2014

Thanks for posting this Cuatro!

Those renderings and "visualizations" really show how superior D is to all options. Multiple easily crossable intersections by pedestrains, or giant diagonal intersections with awkward medians?

I can read drawings and this is exactly what I feared "C" would look like. It is excessively huge. Simply extending the urban fabric depicted in front of the park and east of Walker (Project 180 aethetics), would be a huge help if C is indeed chosen.

Pretty thrilled that they rendered out and put some effort into "D". Also, we have received confirmation this morning that the rumor being spread around in the past by certain City officials that Boulevard money cannot be spent to carry out D, is false.

Federal money can be spent to implement "D" and would be considered an appropriate use of mitigation monies should that option be selected.

It's really not even funny how much better D's visualization looks....ODOT didn't even try to show any kind of pedestrian crossings at the boulevard in the diagonal portions for C's visualizations.

yay D!

As I scrolled down, I was really expecting to see D all messed up to make it look like a bad option. But after seeing this, now more than ever D is my favorite and the best to get around all parts of downtown, midtown, etc.

D really looks great! I'm happily surprised by ODOT on this one.

Pretty much the same here. I already preferred D, but it's a tad hilarious that ODOT's own renderings make me like it even more.

Man, if that doesn't sell Option D has the best possible alternative then nothing will. Just look at all the tax revenue generating street frontage that opens up.

Is it just me, or does this graphic make it look like Alt D is inferior when it comes to sidewalks/crosswalks?

Why does it say "existing"? Many of these streeets have no sidewalk or one sidewalk (most likely terrible condition), and virtually zero actual crosswalks. I cannot imagine them restoring streets and not put sidewalks/crosswalks. This should not be any different than the other options under this catgeory.

I took it to mean new vs. existing (even if the existing have to be replaced). The fact that the existing sidewalks are need of repair is even a better reason why we should fix what we have and not create even more that we obviously can't afford to maintain. If I can't afford to mow my lawn my solution should not be to create more lawn.

It actually is truly amazing this is even an option

I mean, this is pretty much the EXACT same thing as the old I-40. If ODOT is going to build another highway next to a new highway, at least be truthful and say, ''hey, we just thought it'd be nice to have two major highways a mile away from each other".

Shartel doesn't even cross, but that could easily be fixed I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It actually is truly amazing this is even an option

I mean, this is pretty much the EXACT same thing as the old I-40. If ODOT is going to build another highway next to a new highway, at least be truthful and say, ''hey, we just thought it'd be nice to have two major highways a mile away from each other".
    The point of A is to make you like C.

25. Default Re: Friends for a Better Boulevard

Yep. It's an old graphic designer trick. If someone is doing logo/branding for you and giving you a series of options to choose from, they will create the one they like the best and then they will throw in a couple of intentionally-bad options to "steer" you to their preferred selection.

Thread Information