Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer Building

Default Re: Pioneer Building

Why are they putting such an extreme angle on the sidewalk? Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks horrible in person.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EF866B71-9197-470F-BA63-A34EFFD42250.jpeg 
Views:	245 
Size:	4.30 MB 
ID:	14806

I can't tell how bad it is in that photo. But I do know that this area is notorious for flooding easily.

I bet it has to do with ADA access. The building sits so much higher than the street, that either they would have to have a tall curb (safety issue, e.g. falling/tripping), or they would have to raise the street up ($$$), or build a strange sidewalk to avoid both cases.

The steep grade going from the street up to the "red area" is likely so that the red area is flat and can be wheelchair accessible without the wheelchair leaning to one side. It also allows the same flat sidewalk to hit the down angle to meet the street height at the corner without also being at a side-tilt. Finally, all this is likely to bring the ADA compliant red area, up to the same height as the building entrance in green.

That's what I get from looking at it, though. I may not be correct.

I went to go check the area out.. It is a weird sidewalk, but the non-pavers part is definitely passable. And where the cones are is basically a little step next to a pseudo handicap ramp.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Ah, yes - the cock sign. lulz

Before they redid the sidewalk, the paved area and sidewalk were level. It also had a ramp and a step with a rail.

Also walk on the South side of the Pioneer building and they’ve angled the sidewalk in a similar way. Must be something new because the rest of the sidewalk on Dean A. McGee is not like this portion.

Quote Originally Posted by loveOKC View Post
    Before they redid the sidewalk, the paved area and sidewalk were level. It also had a ramp and a step with a rail.

Also walk on the South side of the Pioneer building and they’ve angled the sidewalk in a similar way. Must be something new because the rest of the sidewalk on Dean A. McGee is not like this portion.
    I'm sure the renovation triggered the requirement to update to current ADA laws, which is often the case when you start dealing with older structures.

8. Default Re: Pioneer Building

^^^^^^^^
    Yep. Probably also has to do with those two access panels and utilities coming from across the street and into the building. The ledge/walkway where the cones are will almost certainly get a railing, and the ADA ramp is now integrated into the sidewalk. The area where the pavers sit was probably just a casualty to all of the above. It’s possible that they could have also made that part flat, but this would have required even more railing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Ah, yes - the cock sign. lulz
    They erected that pretty quickly, it wasn’t there the other day.

11. Default Re: Pioneer Building

^^^^^^^^
    I see what you did there

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	14809

Yep, renovation always invokes current ADA. I’m sad to see that tiny park go. It was home to so many of my favorite transients who panhandle me on my way to lunch when I park on broadway to walk to 324

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Impressive, pretty hard sign to build.

When Passing by the other day I noticed not only how good Pioneer building looks but the building next door is so beautiful now that those microwave tower monstrosities are off of the top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    When Passing by the other day I noticed not only how good Pioneer building looks but the building next door is so beautiful now that those microwave tower monstrosities are off of the top of it.
    I always imagine the Stay Puft marshmallow man climbing up the side of that building, now that those microwaves are no more

19. Default Re: Pioneer Building

Somebody PLEASE buy that other building!

Boy the juxtaposition of the AT&T building next to the more ornate buildings is pretty awful on the eyes... Does Pioneer have tenants lined up yet? Also, is the building next door empty?

Blog Entries

I wonder why they didn't put any trees in with P180 on the east side of the building.

My apologies if this has already been discussed, but why didn't they close off the slip lane in front of the building to make a much larger pedestrian plaza? It could have been a parklet-type space, planted trees, etc. It looks like there's a lot of pedestrian conflict points with that slip lane open for people wanting to cross to the E-NE.

Also - that cock sign is horrible haha - some designer must really be into troll jobs.

The "OKC" sign/fence is blowing up on social media right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    The "OKC" sign/fence is blowing up on social media right now.
    Yes the Cock Ring is internet famous.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    Yes the Cock Ring is internet famous.
    You heard it here first!!!

Thread Information