Acreage: 12.09
    Architect:

Information & Latest News

Link to Civic Center Improvement Study
    Links

County Assessor Record
    Doug Loudenback Article
    Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civiclevine4.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	4222   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civic1.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	4221   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civic2.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	4220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civic3.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	4219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civiclevine3.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	4223   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civiclevine2.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	4224   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civiclevine1.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	4225   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civicfreede6.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	4226  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civicfreede5.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	4227   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civicfreede4.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	4228   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civicfreede3.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	4229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civicfreede2.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	4230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civicfreede1.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	4231   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civicupper4.jpg 
Views:	1021 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	4232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civicupper3.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	4233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civicupper2.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	4234  

Name:	civicupper1.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	4235  

Default Re: Civic Center (Civic Auditorium)

The city is going to send out an RFP for a consultant to do the following work:

The awarded consultant will be required to evaluate the physical condition of the Facility and
    equipment; recommend renovations and identify associated costs necessary to make the Facility a
    premier venue from a production perspective as well as an audience perspective; perform a market
    demand study; and analyze the financial feasibility of upgrading the Facility. The following tasks are
    provided for illustrative purposes, and not meant to be all-inclusive.

1. Conduct a comprehensive technical/physical assessment of the Facility’s existing conditions,
    including but not limited to the following areas.
    a. Exterior and interior aesthetics
    b. Entrance, lobby, restrooms and related amenities.
    c. Shelled in spaces
    d. Defined suite spaces on all levels
    e. Freede Little Theatre
    f. City Space
    g. Joel Levine Rehearsal Hall
    h. Box Office locations
    i. Coffee shop
    It is expected that the process for performing this analysis consists of direct observation, review
    and interpretation of documents, interviews with personnel and input from management, and
    evaluation of the actual condition of the major physical elements, systems and operations.
    During agreed upon site visits, building staff will be available through a coordinated effort to
    discuss maintenance issues, past repair/replacement projects, and in general provide
    information (including drawings and plans) and access to assist in the creation of the Facility
    Condition Analysis.

2. Identify current level of amenities, then recommend necessary and/or desirable modifications,
    enhancements, equipment acquisition and refurbishment, and associated costs.

3. Identify the current and projected market demand for any proposed upgraded space, including
    current and probable users and level of usage. Primary and secondary markets should be
    identified, with consideration for the types of events relative to each market area. Report on
    subsidy levels of other comparable facilities, including a review of the source of support.

4. Identify the potential highest and best use of each space within the Facility, and how that
    relates to its current level and type of usage and current revenues and expenses. In developing
    the recommended modifications, enhancements and equipment acquisitions as specified in
    paragraph 3 above, consideration should be given to creatively maximizing the potential use of
    each upgraded area. This should allow for the greatest access to the Facility by a wide variety of
    users and audience members, while taking into consideration the needs and requirements of
    the Facility’s current users.

5. Identify direct and indirect benefits of each upgraded space to the Oklahoma City Public
    Property Authority and the Civic Center Foundation. Include potential benefits that are not
    readily quantifiable, such as impact on surrounding restaurants and other retail businesses.

6. Analyze the financial feasibility of each upgraded space, considering cost estimate of
    recommended improvements, the condition of the current market, and other direct and indirect
    benefits.

7. Provide renderings that illustrate recommended renovations and upgrades.

8. Prepare and present to the Oklahoma City Public Property Authority and the Civic Center
    Foundation Board of Directors, a report containing summary findings and recommendations as
    specified in this Scope of Work.

the "Demolished: no" on the article tab seems a bit depressing, like it was being considered

Name:	Dead Mums.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	2863

Taxpayers spent how many millions on the new landscaping and hardscaping in front of the Civic Center, and THIS is what greets patrons when they approach the main entrance. A battery of planters full of dead mums.

With so much going on down there, you'd think that someone would notice - someone would care enough - to either stick a hose in these planters, or delegate the job to the right person.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dead Mums.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	2862  

Maybe they're trying to manufacture potpourri...

Oklahoma City is expected to pick Seattle-based firm for Civic Center Music Hall project
    BY MICHAEL KIMBALL | Published: November 27, 2012

A Seattle-based architectural firm will soon begin a study on how to get the most out of the Civic Center Music Hall, if the Oklahoma City Council approves the start of contract negotiations Tuesday as expected.

LMN Architects will need about three months to complete the study, barring any hiccups in the contract negotiation process, said Jim Brown, civic center manager. City officials chose LMN’s bid from among 10 others after issuing a request for proposals for the study, intended to find the best ways to renovate the parts of the building that weren’t redone as part of the original Metropolitan Area Projects program.

Maybe they can go to some Thunder games while they're in town...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    the "Demolished: no" on the article tab seems a bit depressing, like it was being considered
    If an energy corporation wanted to build here...

I haven't attempted to dig on this, but in the areas that are being considered for renovation, were we told during the original MAPS that these areas were being left untouched? Or like the Cox, the public was lead to believe that every part of it (excluding the arena) was being renovated. Then years later we find out the Cox is like going thru a time tunnel? Or more recently the Convention Center where the Phase 1/Phase 2 and C.C. hotel were glossed over???

10. Default Re: Civic Center (Civic Auditorium)

I always assumed that the whole thing was being renovated....and never understood why they didnt do the reamaining areas like Freede Little Theater. I was Romeo and Juliet in that about 8 years ago by the OKC Theater Company. I remember sitting there thinking, man this room is a dump. I actually didn't even know it existed until I went to that play though either. It's not ever advertised as a venue and the events in it aren't either. If they had someone to promote the thing, maybe we could attract some dollars to its use and renovation. It has pretty good acoustics and could be a very good drama theater. It's not as though there are many options in town for those....especially now that Stage Center is dead as well.

The ceiling was my number 1 DEtraction. The stuff looks like it's about to fall off, and talk about dirty. It's just gross.

I found this Flikr stream that has some good shots of how bad of shape it's in.
    freede little theatre house | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I really want to keep the seating, but update the padding/upholstry. They're classic, they just need to be restored....or at least the end-cap seats. You can really see how bad of shape the ceiling is in this stream....it's worse than it was the last time I saw it. And the sound system....come on. My high school marching band had better a better system, and it was mobile.

Wow, the ceiling in the Freede is horrific:

That would be the perfect setting for some improv, monologues, or acoustic music acts. It would be a step up from the coffee house scene for a lot of artists.

I had a guy come into my work and buy a tuxedo so he could wear it while playing for the philharmonic. He said in the underbelly of the Civic Center there's a one crapper for the men and one for the women. He was hoping this would be something in the basement rhelm that they would change.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Wow, the ceiling in the Freede is horrific:

Oh my god...been to many performances there, never noticed it..

Here are some renderings.

Read the full report HERE.

Very happy to see this. I love our Civic Center and enjoy going to events there. With a renovated Freede Little Theater and the other spaces, it could host an event nearly every night. This is a very welcome project.

That rooftop event space would be amazing... Stunning views of Bicentennial Park and the skyline beyond.

Sweet!

That external signage and lighting should really make this building pop at night.

By all means, download the pdf. It's crammed full of info and photos. I haven't gotten through it all yet -- it's 203 pages!

I love the Civic Center but have always thought it was a bit plain from the outside.

These proposed improvements would change that immensely without detracting from the historical nature of the structure.

The renovation to Freede is very exciting. The new front entrance will really raise its profile too. I only wish they were doing it first. With the demise of Stage Center and its more familiar set up and design, it should get a lot of use.

Awesome!

Just hope it.gets.busier!

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Awesome!

Just hope it.gets.busier!
    This is so great to see. Count me as one of the lovers of the Civic Center. That roofline access and events space reminds me of DC's Kennedy Center, although instead of the Washington Monument to admire, we'll have Devon Tower.

When OKC hosted that fabulous string of performers to re-open the Center (Wynton Marsalis, Jane Monheit, Jimmy Webb, Kristin Chenoweth, etc) it was a banner moment for the city. It'd be nice to see the Levine and Freede spaces opened to regular venue-specific concerts and plays. They don't have to be headliners, but local performers and groups like the Brightmusic ensemble, OKC Improv, or Ghostlight Theatre Club.

From today... Imagine the views from the top:

Someone's quick on the photo trigger there, Pete! ;-)

Thread Information