Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Civic Center

Default Re: Civic Center

One thing I never noticed about Bicentennial Park in front of the Civic Center...

The sweeping curves are illuminated at night, and on both sides.

Really brings a lot of light to the park which would otherwise be a pretty big black hole. Looks impressive in person.

Blog Entries

I really like that park. It's beautiful, highly under utilized, and gets a bad rap (granted for some good reasons). Hopefully that'll change over time, especially with residential going in across the street.

I have one MAJOR complaint about it though.... no bike racks. With all that streetscaping we did, the closest P180 bike racks are at the museum I believe (on 2-3 I think though). It's a friggin park, there should have been P180 bike racks on all four sides.

Wow, no bike racks? Can't believe there would be such an oversight.

The park along with the approvements around City Hall are very nice and once the trees mature a bit it will be a really nice spot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Wow, no bike racks? Can't believe there would be such an oversight.
    I'll double check when it's warm again, but the last time there was a festival or something there I rode my bike and remember walking around the entire perimeter looking for a rack and then being disgusted that I had to walk farther to find one. Since I only live 3 blocks away I probably walked more looking for a rack than I would have done just to walk there, but I was planning to ride somewhere else after, so...

These are the cities that Nederlander has productions in:
    New York
    Los Angeles
    Chicago
    Detroit
    Durham
    North Charleston
    San Diego
    San Jose
    Tucson
    London

Seems like a win for OKC to get a high quality group.

Friends of mine involved in local theater see Nederlander as a big upgrade.

This just popped up on the Civic Center calendar:

August 15
    The Consumption of Mary by Jai Kali Maa (get tickets)

OKC Civic Center Music Hall
    Cityspace Theatre
    Presented by Dakhma of Angra Mainyu
    Monday, August 15, 2016 - 7pm

16 years of age and above, do to adult content.

The Consumption of the Mary by Jai Kali Maa, is an event that will have 2 seperate rituals that will show the evolution from Satanism to Ahrimanism. The first ritual will the Black Mass as done in 2014, and the second ritual will be the Consumption of Mary by Jai Kali Maa. The second ritual will educate the public on the practice of Ahrimanism.

I go to a lot of shows in that small theater but would have absolutely no interest in this. I'm sure it will draw a lot of protests just like the last similar presentation there but the city can't place judgements on the content of events they lease the space for as long as it's legal.

Quote Originally Posted by civic center
    16 years of age and above, do to adult content.
    in other news, somebody affiliated with the civic center was paid to write and proofread this sentence. -M

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    in other news, somebody affiliated with the civic center was paid to write and proofread this sentence. -M
    I feel sure that the trained professionals at the Civic Center posted this as received from the organization. I am here to defend her honor as she is busy fielding literally thousands and thousands of protest emails.

Whatever happened with the planned Civic Center renovation? Is it ongoing? Has it started yet?

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Whatever happened with the planned Civic Center renovation? Is it ongoing? Has it started yet?
    I was there for a play last Saturday night and saw absolutely no signs of any renovations occurring.

Blog Entries

PROPOSITION NO. 8
    (CIVIC CENTER COMPLEX)

...incur an indebtedness by issuing registered bonds in the sum of Twenty Million One Hundred Eight-five Thousand Dollars ($20,185,000)

1. Repair, renovate and improve the Civic Center Music Hall, to include the Main Lobby and the Freede Little Theater. $14,190,000

2. Repair, renovate and improve buildings and facilities within the Civic Center Complex, to include Americans with Disability Act (ADA), heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC), storage, restrooms, signage and technology improvements. $3,980,000

The balance of said funds shall be used as follows:

Repair, renovate, improve, equip and furnish City buildings and facilities within the Civic Center Complex, which may include technology improvements; and, expenses of the bond issue. $2,015,000

Laramie, thank you for compiling and posting all this information. This is extremely helpful and informative.

I noticed the LED streetlamps along the perimeter of the Civic Center are either wired wrong, have faulty bulbs/ballasts, or are experiencing some type of feedback issue.

Video Link:
    https://streamable.com/f3pft

This row of lights and then random others in the same area were all strobing like a rave.

Blog Entries

Been happening in other areas, drives me nuts. Best bet is to report to the action center. You can email your video and give them an address and they will get on it.

Blog Entries

Hamilton tickets went on sale to the public today thru the CC website or walk up. Were still tickets late this morning for various shows when I checked especially ones toward the end of the show. Many of the early shows only had single tickets.

I got my tickets this morning at 10:30 after getting in the online queue at 9:15. There were only tickets available for the 8/2 and 8/3 shows when I got a single ticket for the Saturday matinee. I could only get 2 together if I paid $775 for the pair. Of course I only had 8 minutes to complete my order so I didn't feel like I could afford the time to do an extensive search before I timed out. When I asked my husband if he wanted to go he did not display the appropriate enthusiasm for me to spend almost $400 for his ticket so I decided to go alone.

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    I got my tickets this morning at 10:30 after getting in the online queue at 9:15. There were only tickets available for the 8/2 and 8/3 shows when I got a single ticket for the Saturday matinee. I could only get 2 together if I paid $775 for the pair. Of course I only had 8 minutes to complete my order so I didn't feel like I could afford the time to do an extensive search before I timed out. When I asked my husband if he wanted to go he did not display the appropriate enthusiasm for me to spend almost $400 for his ticket so I decided to go alone.
    There were a ton available when I looked today depending on the date. I was able to find multiple options in Orchestra for $200/ticket for a pair.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    There were a ton available when I looked today depending on the date. I was able to find multiple options in Orchestra for $200/ticket for a pair.
    Same here - lots of tickets on the later dates when I was on about 11 AM. We already had ours from OKC Broadway and decided to pass on 4 more.

I've been three times - twice in Chicago, once in Dallas. It's probably my favorite artistic achievement even if the history is problematic. Here's Lin Manuel when he first wrote the opening song a decade ago:

Blog Entries

Hamilton opened Tue night. My wife went with a friend last night, had never seen it and really enjoyed it. I'm going Saturday night and looking forward to it. They have been pushing people to arrive really early due to security. She got there about an hour before and said it was no big deal.

Hamilton is such an incredible performance. I'm a big fan, and I can't recommend it more highly. I am stunned how many tickets are available... I've never seen that anywhere else.

And if you're really interested I highly recommend this book in addition to Chernow's biography the play is based on: https://www.rutgersuniversitypress.o.../9780813590295

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Hamilton is such an incredible performance. I'm a big fan, and I can't recommend it more highly. I am stunned how many tickets are available... I've never seen that anywhere else.

And if you're really interested I highly recommend this book in addition to Chernow's biography the play is based on: https://www.rutgersuniversitypress.o.../9780813590295
    This is a three week stand here and I don’t think many tickets are available at all.

Thread Information