Widgets Magazine

Thread: Capers

Default Capers

I noticed a sign today announcing a new restaurant in the location where Catfish Cabin was at 63rd and Meridian. I believe the name is Capers Mediterranean Buffet and Bistro. Is anyone familiar with this or know anything about it?

Default Re: Capers

Wow, Catfish Cabin is goe? That has been there for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Wow, Catfish Cabin is goe? That has been there for decades.

It was never the same after it went buffet, in my opinion. But it did seem to stay crowded.

I always knew them as a buffet place even when I worked around the corner from there 2 employers (about 15 years ago)...but not being a seafood/catfish fan I never went there.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I noticed a sign today announcing a new restaurant in the location where Catfish Cabin was at 63rd and Meridian. I believe the name is Capers Mediterranean Buffet and Bistro. Is anyone familiar with this or know anything about it?

I liked catfish cabin and was sad when it closed its doors. I was curious when I saw the on-going remodeling and the new sign as well. I actually stopped by the place the other day to check it out but decided to ask the guy at the door who happen to be the chef himself. He was kind enough to described the plans for the restaurant from the atmosphere to the food selections. It sounded really good that I'm excited to try it out. I think that this is their website based on the address - capersdiner.com

Quote Originally Posted by samuelBill View Post
    I liked catfish cabin and was sad when it closed its doors. I was curious when I saw the on-going remodeling and the new sign as well. I actually stopped by the place the other day to check it out but decided to ask the guy at the door who happen to be the chef himself. He was kind enough to described the plans for the restaurant from the atmosphere to the food selections. It sounded really good that I'm excited to try it out. I think that this is their website based on the address - capersdiner.com
    Thanks for the info. The menu looks interesting.

http://capersdiner.com/menu/buffet-menu/

Thanks for the info. The menu looks interesting.

http://capersdiner.com/menu/buffet-menu/
    That menu is hilarious. They are tragically in need of a copy editor. The "skrewed" okra looks promising.

I have a feeling that's not the finished product and is just there temporarily to have an online presence.

You are correct ljbab728. I sent capers an email asking them about the menu and the opening day. I was quite surprised to get a quick reply. They are planning on opening the doors in the next two weeks. The menu is still work in progress and will be finalized upon the opening.

I hope the prices stay the same This is going to be one of the low priced buffets in town!! ($7.99 lunch and $9.99 dinner- according to the online menu)

I'll have to give this place a try too. Is there anyplace else in OKC where there's a seafood buffet?

Wow. That menu really DOES look good. And the prices are right.
    Too bad that they decided to substitute "stewed" okra for "skrewed" or even "skewered" okra but so it goes . . .
    I wonder how long one should give a place like this to really get their act--or art--together . . . A couple of month?

Has anyone been here yet? They opened on 9/10/12. I thought it was pretty good, nice selection of food...anyone else??

Quote Originally Posted by roci28 View Post
    Has anyone been here yet? They opened on 9/10/12. I thought it was pretty good, nice selection of food...anyone else??

I'd like to know as well. Any Caper patrons on line?

I haven't been there yet but I drive by several times a day. The parking lot has been packed.

I've been there about 3 times now. I really like the food, the selection and the atmosphere. I think the food is better than Zorba's, closer to Cous Cous cafe, but much bigger selection. Very friendly staff/owners and they're always pretty busy so far.

Never underestimate the power of the press. I drive by this restaurant several times a day and it has appeared to be doing well. After this article:

Capers offers Mediterranean food en masse | NewsOK.com

There were almost lines waiting to get in the parking lot tonight. It was amazing.

After cleaning up a significant mess in the kitchen, left over from cooking the night before last, I suggested to my wife that we go out to eat last night. Somehow, she thought of this place. Everything Dave Cathey says in his review, above, is true. I don't think I've ever seen a buffet laid out so nicely. The food was excellent. I actually got too many salads on account of they all looked so good. The various meats I sampled were exceptional, the pita bread was the best I've ever had and that little taste of their bread pudding that I saved room for was a taste of heaven. The staff was friendly and helpful so I left a pretty good tip even though this was a buffet. If I had one suggestion, it would be that they add wine to the beverage choices. Or maybe they have it, but it wasn't mentioned when the waiter came to take our drink order. This place is definitely worth the $12 or so that you pay at the door. We will certainly be going back again. I hope it will be soon.

I've eaten here quite a few times and it has been excellent every time. For a buffet they maintain a really high quality output consistently.

A friend and I had lunch at Capers on Saturday. It was delicious and they had a wonderful selection. I didn't get to try everything, so we will be going back soon.

Does anyone know anything about if/when Caper's will be reopening? They have been closed for about 3 mos now and the sign on their door says they were to re-open sometime mid March due to remodeling. I know soon before the doors closed they adjusted their menu so you had to choose your meat instead of everything being offered on the buffet. Seems like soon after that decision they closed their doors. Its to bad if they are done, it was a good place to eat with fresh food and more on the healthy side.

Choose your meat like how? Is that to say that the buffet had everything but that, and they gave you a portion?

I enjoyed a couple of really good lunches there. The remodel sign gives me hope, because when passing by on 63rd with a friend the other day, it looked done.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kimball View Post
    Choose your meat like how? Is that to say that the buffet had everything but that, and they gave you a portion?

I enjoyed a couple of really good lunches there. The remodel sign gives me hope, because when passing by on 63rd with a friend the other day, it looked done.
    I think it's one of those all-too-typical "We're closing for remodeling" and never reopening things. I drove by there this weekend and that same sign was on the door, saying the planned to reopen in March....and a quick glance inside suggested the interior hasn't been touched. To me that looks like they decided it was cheaper (eg losing less money) to just close down and let the place sit idle, and pay out the lease I suppose) rather than try to run it.

I'd read/heard (somewhere?) of recent/fast staff and pricing changes which at least suggested something was up. Have heard that buffet style places are among the most expensive to run of the varying restaurant models out there, so maybe this was another example.

I'd only heard of the place last summer, and had a really nice supper there. Took my family on a Sunday afternoon and it was almost as good, but the variety wasn't quite the same - still good, though. Had every intention of going back. Alas.

Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath for it to reopen. It seemed that there was a management change at some point. After that the quality and consistency fell way off.

There is now a banner on the outside of the building which says "Coming soon Jim's Diner since 1978". That must be a reference to the Jim's Diner on the SE corner of 39th and Council. That restaurant always seem to be very busy so it should be successful in this location also.

There is now a banner on the outside of the building which says "Coming soon Jim's Diner since 1978". That must be a reference to the Jim's Diner on the SE corner of 39th and Council. That restaurant always seem to be very busy so it should be successful in this location also.
    Gotta say I'm disappointed. I never actually been to jims diner, but the wife and I loved capers. Hope they are eyeing a new location.

Thread Information