Links

County Assessor
    Gallery

Default Re: The Classen / Tanenbaum's newest project

On top of the town

High-rise condos prepare for opening

By Richard Mize, Real Estate Editor
    Richard Mize: 475-3518, richardmize@oklahoman.com

A young doctor moved to Oklahoma City from Atlanta with one kind of housing in mind.

“He said, ‘I want a high-rise condo.’ I said, ‘We’ve got one now,’ ” said Realtor George Massey of RE/MAX First, which is marketing the 80 condominiums in The Classen, the former office building at Classen Boulevard and NW 23.

A year after developer Richard Tanenbaum plucked the dilapidated, 21-story, Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired hexagonal tower from the auction block for Gardner-Tanenbaum Group, The Classen, formerly Citizens Tower, is well on its way to being transformed.

Tanenbaum probably hopes this is the last mention of Citizens Tower, built in 1966 to mimic the Wrightdesigned Price Tower in Bartlesville.

When the transformation is complete — called “adaptive reuse” in conscientious development circles — the familiar gold exterior, with its wide louvers, will be the only thing left unchanged from the building’s latter days as a lazy office building.
    Model condos will be open this summer. Potential buyers and invited others will tour the building Tuesday.

RE/MAX is marketing more than space, said brokerowner GiGi Faulkner. An “active urban lifestyle” is for sale at The Classen, 2200 Classen Blvd., where condos are 849 to 1,049 square feet, from $143,500 to $200,750, depending on floor — and view.

Most floors have wide-open views of the Oklahoma City metro area, with downtown to the southeast, the state Capitol to the east, and every other tower in the heart of the city visible at a glance.

Tanenbaum bought the building for $825,000. He said he’s spent almost 10 times as much to convert it into upscale urban housing.

Massey and his wife, Susan, said the setting, atypical for Oklahoma City, speaks to a stereotypical — but real and demanding — market niche: “the young urban professional, literally,” he said.

“This is about lifestyle. This is not about square footage,” said Tanenbaum, a mostly industrial property developer who gets more attention for bringing alternative living spaces to Oklahoma City. His other adaptive-reuse project is The Montgomery, an upscale apartment house at 500 W Main downtown in the former Montgomery Ward department store and office building.

Faulkner said both projects appeal to people who value a style of living over “the acquisition of space.”

RE/MAX has received numerous inquiries from people who have noticed the gutting and renovation going on, as well as work at the Gold Dome and other improvements at Classen and NW 23, Susan Massey said.

The Classen, which has a parking garage and will have amenities including a lap pool, fitness center and concierge, “will sell itself,” she said.

Thanks Malibu, I did a search on newsok but it wouldn't pull up. This will be very exciting to the urban revitalization. I can't wait to get mine!

The development looks very cool...

Please report in after your tour!

Awesome. This is great news for OKC.

Hey Tanenbaum, you did great with The Mongtomery and now The Classen... how 'bout First National Tower?

Yeah, we won't settle until you renovate another high rise in downtown, preferably the First National, although something where the old library would be nice.

Two things I hope happen with The Classen, both not likely to happen. 1) Change the name, "The Classen" is boring, unoriginal, and not very memorable. What was wrong with Citizen's Tower? Or if you must, The Citizen. 2) Make the interior more clean, upscale feeling. Being in the rooms of the Montgomery felt like someone tried really hard to make a cool interior, but had never seen one. It felt suburban except for the big columns, and large windows and views. It doesn't have to be industrial with metal grating to not have brown wood and pink marble. That's all, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by striker
    Two things I hope happen with The Classen, both not likely to happen. 1) Change the name, "The Classen" is boring, unoriginal, and not very memorable. What was wrong with Citizen's Tower? Or if you must, The Citizen. 2) Make the interior more clean, upscale feeling. Being in the rooms of the Montgomery felt like someone tried really hard to make a cool interior, but had never seen one. It felt suburban except for the big columns, and large windows and views. It doesn't have to be industrial with metal grating to not have brown wood and pink marble. That's all, thanks.
    Owners of the Classen will get to provide their own floor plans. Therefore, any "suburban" feel to the individual condos can be blamed purely on the owners of said condos.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner
    Owners of the Classen will get to provide their own floor plans. Therefore, any "suburban" feel to the individual condos can be blamed purely on the owners of said condos.
    The website shows floorplans for the individual condos? But that's great if that's the case.

I believe the floorplans are set except for the top three floors.

Make the interior more clean, upscale feeling. Being in the rooms of the Montgomery felt like someone tried really hard to make a cool interior, but had never seen one. It felt suburban except for the big columns, and large windows and views. It doesn't have to be industrial with metal grating to not have brown wood and pink marble.
    Exactly the owners will have their choices of tile or wood floors and paint and stains and things of that nature. I'm sure the facility will be first class like the Montgomery. He's putting 8 million into renovating it with I think the top 6 floors will be penthouses, etc. I'm taking the tour on Friday so I'll keep you guys posted.

Here's the article from today's OKCBusiness, you can find pictures at www.okcbusiness.com of yesterday's media tour.

Project to resurrect former office building into upscale condos gets under way
    View the pictures
    Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2005

by Shelly Hickman & Pamela Grady

Built in 1966 as an office building called Citizens Tower, the building at 2200 North Classen now referred to as The Classen soon will be transformed to give way to upscale, residential living.

While the building has been vacant for some time, it has never gone unnoticed in its nearly 40-year history. A 21-story, gold hexagon, the building never fails to prompt second glances from onlookers. Its unique style often has been compared to that characteristic of famed architect Frank Lloyd Wright, though it was designed by Bozalis and Roloff.

A ribbon cutting was held today to signify the beginning of The Classen project, which is being headed by the Gardner Tanenbaum Group and will result in 84 condominiums from about 900 to 1,100 square feet in size.

G & G Construction has been chosen as the general contractor and Re/Max First has been retained to sell the residences, which will range in price from $143,000 to $225,000.

GiGi Faulkner with Re/Max First said the Tanenbaum group would be getting started with infrastructure improvements to the building, including the addition of many amenities like tennis, volleyball and basketball courts, a 90-foot pool and in-ground spa, a putting course and driving range, an outdoor amphitheater and jogging track and two business centers.

Her sales team immediately will begin selling the condominiums and they will be individually built out as they are sold, she said, indicating she anticipated condominium construction to begin about mid-June.

"We expect to have our first closings as early as November or December of this year," Faulkner said.

The design plans for The Classen provide for five condos each on Floors 3-15. Floors 18-20 are designed to have a maximum of three condos each, although the plans can be modified for a buyer who wishes to purchase an entire floor and construct one unit. All of the floors will have common access to the balconies on the top three floors.

The first two levels of The Classen will feature secured, card-access parking and the third level will house some of the facility's fitness amenities.

Victor Schuelein of Schuelein and Associates has headed up The Classen's redesign and reconfiguration. Coincidentally, Schuelein worked for the engineering firm who was a part of its construction in 1966 and also was a 40-year office tenant in the building.

"(His firm has) been responsible for the design and reconfiguration of the condominiums," Faulkner said. "They've done all of the floor plans and the mechanicals. He knows that building inside and out."

Greater Oklahoma City Chamber President Roy Williams, who was on hand for today's ribbon cutting, praised Dick Tanenbaum for his vision to resurrect the former Citizens Tower.

"I commend (him) for his vision of really taking a liability and returning it to our community," he said.

Tanenbaum purchased the 20-floor Citizens Tower last spring for $825,000. The sales price was well below the $1.8 million value assessed on the property by the Oklahoma County Assessor's Office.

The prices are very high considering the size of the condos. I will say this -- if this is successful, there will be a lot more of these in the city. I had thought about buying one of these, but it seems that I could get a house 2-3 times as large for the same $.

If I still lived in town, the lack of a private balcony would be a big drawback for me.

However, with the current low interest rates, you could still buy one and probably be able to cover your mortgage with rent, depending on the home owner's dues which are likely to be high.

Lots of OCU students in the area and the only quality rentals are the apartment complex at 30th and Penn which always seems to be highly occupied.

I agree Midtowner, a.) you can get alot more space elsewhere, and b.)there will be alot more of these when these are sold out. I'm confident this will be 90 percent sold not too long into this project, also you have to remember as the article states, you are buying a lifestyle, not space

Well folks as promised I had my presentation of The Classen today and although the Realtors in charge of sales are a little sloppy still and not fully organized, I was still impressed at the amenities this place will have, far more than The Montgomery. I also mentioned his next project, The Lincoln at Central Park will start in the next few weeks. I was also enlightened on yet another project today and I will give my review of The Classen and "other projects" soon when I get time. Look for pics and exciting news!

Tease!

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuSooner
    If I still lived in town, the lack of a private balcony would be a big drawback for me.

However, with the current low interest rates, you could still buy one and probably be able to cover your mortgage with rent, depending on the home owner's dues which are likely to be high.

Lots of OCU students in the area and the only quality rentals are the apartment complex at 30th and Penn which always seems to be highly occupied.

As an OCU Student (next semester) who rents, I'll have to say that my rental property at $825/month is excellent.

For the money though, I'm really seriously considering buying a house somewhere in a Gatewood-like neighborhood.

jenncole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    Hey Tanenbaum, you did great with The Mongtomery and now The Classen... how 'bout First National Tower?
    Tanenbaum (Gardner Tanenbaum Group) owns First National Tower???

Jenn, no he doesn't. I was just thinking wishfully. I wish he would buy it and convert them into apartments or condos. Seems he has a knack for it.

HKG_Flyer1 Guest

Is there anywhere on-line where we can access floor plans, property info, etc.?

looks as though downtownguy has bought First National Tower.

his recent blog post states:

"Where Have I Been?
    A: Busy buying First National Tower, with plans to convert it into upscale housing"

23. Default Re: The Classen / Tanenbaum's newest project

I've also got some swamp land in Florida that's up for sale....

24. Default Re: The Classen / Tanenbaum's newest project

Metro, any chance you could be more specific about The Lincoln at Central Park project?

HKG Flyer 1, you may want to check out my first post on this forum, I mentioned www.theclassen.com , that will give you alot of the info. Floater, you may want to check out the thread " The Lincoln at Central Park" thread for more info.

Anyhow, as promised, I had my presentation of the renovation of The Classen. It will be a 20 story condo high-rise although the building is 21 stories. The top three floors will be penthouses WITH balconies, now more than 3 per floor. The 18th floor is not for sale currently, and the lower 17 are for sale no more than 5 units per floor. The standard amenities will include marble countertops, halogen modern lighting, stainless steel appliances, your choice of flooring and much much more. I got to see all the samples as well as wood floors and other upgrades are available. The top floor of the parking garage will be the activities area with a 1/5 mile lap, swimming pool, tennis courts, horseshoes, bocce ball, putting green, driving range, volleyball and more. The main floor of the building will house the sales office, concierge, dry cleaners, deli, coffee shop, a lap pool, business center/ internet cafe, storage units, a pharmacy, and Tanenbaum is trying to lure a small mom and pop type grocery store on site. The lower level of the parking lot will feature optional "private garages" . Prices start at about $143K and go up to $600+K for an entire floor depending on the units bought and the floor. Currently the building is fenced for renovations, a model unit should be open June 1st with the first units closing in Oct/Nov. I will hopefully post alot more info about this project and some more detailed pics when I take my tour again in 2-3 weeks.

P.S. Malibu, I was able to squeeze out a little info although not as much as I desire. I guess I and others will have to keep prying. Anyhow, I mentioned the next project will be The Lincoln at Central Park, although disappointed at the location and the more "suburban type feel", Tanenbaum is in the works for another new HIGHRISE condo unit downtown with prices starting in the more affordable $80K range. I hope this actually happens it will be very exciting. It would be exciting if he was able to renovate the First National or another building. Who knows, maybe he will buy the old library site and build there?? Let's wait and see! I hope Tanenbaum finds his niche in downtown urban redevelopments and not suburban type developments. He almost ditched a few of these projects for a suburban subdivision but couldn't get past some land owners refusing. I'm glad he's finding a niche. Let's all email him and encourage them!

Thread Information