Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Classen

Default Re: Classen Tower

JBrown,

You raise a fair point. Why is it such a big deal? Because currently, despite these other projects under way, there is little to no housing for sale available in the central core of our city. This is not the sign of a bustling inner-city housing market.

The main reason it's a big deal is that:

1. They have capitulated toward renting, which appears to be a failure.

2. For sale housing is clearly not going to be available at an affordable price point for average people (and young people, and artists, etc.) in our central city. That is a shame.

Could the Tannenbaum's not offer condos starting at, say, $110,000? What's wrong with that? Why does everything have to begin at $200k?

The only people who can afford these prices are established families and the idle rich. That is not a recipe for downtown improvement.

Even worse, for those who were interested in buying in the Classen, why would they now? The value of their investment was just undermined by the decision to offer rental units instead.

And Mr. Brown, currently 100 percent of the available apartment stock in downtown OKC is RENTAL. There are more rental properties under way, such as the building at Park and Harvey. When you add in Legacy and Deep Deuce, as well as numerous properties due to be rehabbed and rented in midtown, there is plenty of opportunity available for interested renters.

FYI, CityBites opened up last week in the Classen's retail space finally. They're signs right now are very cheesy vinyl banners. Hopefully they'll be replacing them soon with permanent signs.

3. Default Re: Classen Tower

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    FYI, CityBites opened up last week in the Classen's retail space finally. They're signs right now are very cheesy vinyl banners. Hopefully they'll be replacing them soon with permanent signs.

I saw that yesterday, metro. I agree it will look a lot classier when better signage is up. Have you heard any word on anything else going in the retail space?

----------------

I think they are tentatively working on a dry cleaners

What dry cleaners are they going to put in there.

Post Re: Classen Tower

The person which owns classen tower is also the owner of the Montgomery Building in downtown OKC. He made the decision to purchase the tower because many of his residents kept asking him to sell the units they were living in, so he thought there was a market for it. Sure there is but not at 23rd ST and Classen. First its outside of the Business, Arts, and Entertainment districts. Second, it is a fairly rough area still.

As of to date, there should be no more sold unit in the entire tower and anything that was suppose to be sold had been bought back. This way the entire complex is on the same playing grounds. SORRY EVERYONE ITS ANOTHER APARTMENT COMPLEX.

I agree that if the price was less they might have sold, however, we all have to remember he could not give them away. Everyone has to make a living. Purchase of Building + Renovations = $$$$$$$$$$.

My information should be considered rumor, because I have not actually talked to the owner, only relators I know in the area.

7. Default Re: Classen Tower

So it's no longer condos and everyone was bought out and it will now be converted to apartments?

8. Default Re: Classen Tower

It was orginally planned as a rental project. I understand that it was switched to a codo concept due to numerous inquiries to purchase and other considerations that appeared more profitable. None of the sold units were completed and delivered to the few people that made deposits on them. It is totally a "For Rent" project again and has been for the better part of a year. It's still pretty slow going on filling it up. I think that (just like the Montgomery) as the construction portion of the project moved along, some corners have been cut and amenities deleted to keep it within budget.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

9. Default Re: Classen Tower

I was thinking about moving here in December, but I wasn't sure about the area. Is it safe? The parking lot didn't seem very secure; like anyone could walk in and hide waiting for someone coming home alone.

I visited the Classen a couple of weeks ago and they only have 5 units left. They are very nice and they views are incredible. They all have w/d hookups. The smaller units have room for a stackable unit only but the larger units have a quite large utility (almost) room. The units are quite modern looking and have all of the modern amenities, ie whirlpool tubs, granite countertops, etc. Did I mention the views? There is 24 hour concierge service, key fob entry to public spaces, lap pool, exercise room and hot tub. There is a free laundry room downstairs for those who don't want to buy a washer dryer or want to do all their laundry at once. There is also a public rec area with a kitcenette and tvs that can be reserved for parties at no extra charge. Each unit comes with two covered parking spaces. It really is quite nice and has filled up much better than I thought based on what I have read here.

11. Default Re: Classen Tower

Drove by there this evening about 8:30 and the place looked well over half full . . . even assuming that some folks were out for the evening, they've got way more than five units left.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

12. Default Re: Classen Tower

How big are these places and roughly how much is the rent?

Well, you guys are in luck! I happen to live at the Classen. It's a great place to live. The management really does a good job in taking care of each person and their needs. I have one of the best views that they offer, one side is downtown and the other is the capitol building. My apartment is just over 1200 square feet. They really put in high quality appliances, countertops, and fixtures. I know they only have a few units left. It has become quite a popular place. They are planning on putting in a dry cleaners I believe. Right now, they have a service where you can drop off in the morning and pick up in the afternoon 2 days a week. There are a number of little things like that you just can't get anywhere else. Oh, have I mentioned that it's a terrific place to watch lightning storms?

14. Default Re: Classen Tower

Quote Originally Posted by BaldDriller13 View Post
    Well, you guys are in luck! I happen to live at the Classen. It's a great place to live. The management really does a good job in taking care of each person and their needs. I have one of the best views that they offer, one side is downtown and the other is the capitol building. My apartment is just over 1200 square feet. They really put in high quality appliances, countertops, and fixtures. I know they only have a few units left. It has become quite a popular place. They are planning on putting in a dry cleaners I believe. Right now, they have a service where you can drop off in the morning and pick up in the afternoon 2 days a week. There are a number of little things like that you just can't get anywhere else. Oh, have I mentioned that it's a terrific place to watch lightning storms?
    Hi BaldDriller. Can I ask you some questions about the classen? I tried to PM you but you don't have them on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
    Hi BaldDriller. Can I ask you some questions about the classen? I tried to PM you but you don't have them on.
    Sorry Mandy. I am brand new here. I don't think I have PM capabilities yet. I have yet to prove I am not a spammer!

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Classen

Hey everybody, there is a rare opening for a north facing penthouse at The Classen, $3025 a month, utilities paid. Should be in the neighborhood of 2500 sqft in size. Give the office a ring if you're interested (601-3333), and let them know I sent you if you feel like saving me some rent. :-)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1379549&type=1

I would rent that penthouse if I had the money. That is an awesome view!

The management really does a good job in taking care of each person and their needs.
    That's not what I've heard.

I know some people who have lived there for over a year (they're building a house) and they tell a different story.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    That's not what I've heard.

I know some people who have lived there for over a year (they're building a house) and they tell a different story.
    I've lived here for more than five years. There are issues to be sure, as with any place, but I still love living here.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I've lived here for more than five years. There are issues to be sure, as with any place, but I still love living here.
    Yeah, they're enjoying most of it, but just say the whole "luxury apartment" angle is oversold. Crumbling decks, leaky windows, poor climate control and spotty concierge service doesn't really qualify as luxury. I think it's more of the over-promise under-deliver scenario. My friend always says if they didn't sell it (or price it) as something it isn't, it would be fantastic.

Blog Entries

Yeah, they're enjoying most of it, but just say the whole "luxury apartment" angle is oversold. Crumbling decks, leaky windows, poor climate control and spotty concierge service doesn't really qualify as luxury. I think it's more of the over-promise under-deliver scenario. My friend always says if they didn't sell it (or price it) as something it isn't, it would be fantastic.
    I agree with most of that. In the beginning the things the concierge would do was better (and in the beginning there were security type folks doing the job so it felt "safer" not that I felt remotely unsafe). I am actually annoyed with some of their late-night concierge hires that are almost entirely useless (warm body in a seat). But the daytime folks are great. I have long thought the "luxury" needs to be removed as well. The leaky window thing is getting addressed. They recently did a full inspection of all windows as they're working on putting out a contract for replacement of those with damaged seals. The crumbling deck thing is a situation I'm not sure they can control. There is a LOT of concrete damage throughout the complex due to the age of the building and I suspect it would cost Tannenbaum a ton of money to truly repair. Also with the decks (and other amenities), as with any other place, there are abuses that occur by residents that don't get fixed as quickly as I'd like, but also take care of our stuff people! A couple years ago they added a wood deck with grills and an outdoor fireplace and TV and it looked awesome, but people tear stuff up and it drives me nuts!

Anyway, I can give you my own lists of issues, and I totally agree on the "not luxury" thing, but overall I think the pros outweigh the cons.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I agree with most of that. In the beginning the things the concierge would do was better (and in the beginning there were security type folks doing the job so it felt "safer" not that I felt remotely unsafe). I am actually annoyed with some of their late-night concierge hires that are almost entirely useless (warm body in a seat). But the daytime folks are great. I have long thought the "luxury" needs to be removed as well. The leaky window thing is getting addressed. They recently did a full inspection of all windows as they're working on putting out a contract for replacement of those with damaged seals. The crumbling deck thing is a situation I'm not sure they can control. There is a LOT of concrete damage throughout the complex due to the age of the building and I suspect it would cost Tannenbaum a ton of money to truly repair. Also with the decks (and other amenities), as with any other place, there are abuses that occur by residents that don't get fixed as quickly as I'd like, but also take care of our stuff people! A couple years ago they added a wood deck with grills and an outdoor fireplace and TV and it looked awesome, but people tear stuff up and it drives me nuts!

Anyway, I can give you my own lists of issues, and I totally agree on the "not luxury" thing, but overall I think the pros outweigh the cons.
    Yeah, it sounds like they let stuff go for so long it begins to amount to a bigger problem they can't afford.

Blog Entries

Yeah, it sounds like they let stuff go for so long it begins to amount to a bigger problem they can't afford.
    Well, the concrete thing has been an issue since day 1. I first toured the site in March 2006 and I moved in May 2007 and this is something that has always been there...

Blog Entries

One more thing... the full time staff is 3 people. The daytime concierge, the property manager, and the maintenance guy. The maintenance guy is great, but I suspect he is tied up all day long putting out fires, that he doesn't really get a chance to work big attention sucking projects...

Could be, but I think my friend was talking about the deck on top of the garage. I remember saying that it was awesome, and he said "it would be if they took care of it".

Thread Information