Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Thunder Alley - Security and Violence issues

Default Re: Thunder Alley - Security and Violence issues

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
    And, that's the end of 'Thunder Alley'.
    Which is ridiculous. Apparently if another shooting happens again they will just have to move the team back to Seattle.

In my opinion, the shooting has more to do with the fact that the Thunder were playing Las Angeles : gangbanger Mecca. Like moths to a flame.

The large percentage of people were going to Thunder Alley to watch the game and feel part of a bigger community. It was truly one of the coolest scenes in all of professional sports, as was noted by the national broadcast crew last night.

So, let's just kill it completely due to a random act by a very small group of people.

What's the point in investing in downtown and creating it as a place for people to come together?

How incredibly small-minded and silly.

Simply, it's the easy way out instead of trying to take something great and make it better.

Our leaders have failed us monumentally and twice: First, by not recognizing and properly addressing what everyone saw as a looming problem; then secondly, by completely bailing out when they didn't do their jobs correctly.

So is it official that there will be no more TA?

http://www.okshooters.com/showthread........-Shooting

this guy actually saw the shooting, said a cop was right there when it went down so its not strictly a police presence issue

Quote Originally Posted by lindsey View Post
    So is it official that there will be no more TA?
    Looks that way.

Twitter is blowing up with outrage over this decision.

Frankly, it just this just makes us look worse: We are so unsafe as a city we can't allow our citizens to gather downtown.

Now its coming out the team will try and keep something similar going.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatesooner View Post
    http://www.okshooters.com/showthread........-Shooting

this guy actually saw the shooting, said a cop was right there when it went down so its not strictly a police presence issue
    Even if this is true, the conflict reported before the shooting, so why didn't the police step in?

I saw other reports saying that there was not a police presence that far to the east; this happened in front of the ballpark.

SMH!! Come on Cornett keep it going.

OK now according to FOX25 Thunder alley is NOT closed.

For FB users: http://www.facebook.com/foxokc/posts/10150958597890861

News9 at 4 was just saying that they were hearing from the Thunder that they are going to try and work with the city and law enforcement to see what changes need to be made to keep thunder alley, but that none of the changes would be able to be made in time to affect this season, if any agreement to changes could be made

Lord Helmet Guest

I really wish the Mayor could get the message straight...seeing tweets that it's not cancelled now.

Let's hope cooler heads prevail and they find a way to may this work.

It's too special for OKC to throw this away.

BTW, Gary England of all people is ranting on Twitter about how bad a decision it would be to end TA.

Twitter
    Lance West ‏@lancewest

Despite what you may have heard, Thunder Alley is NOT being cancelled. Thunder officials say "changes are likely".

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    I really wish the Mayor could get the message straight...seeing tweets that it's not cancelled now.
    You blame the mayor for NEWS9 jumping the gun? Classic

We won't even have another home game for nine days so that should provide plenty of time to come up with new safety precautions.

Again, the Mayor needs to make a statement and soon.

He should have done it this morning.

The thing that is bothering me now is how much of an information void there still is. Some articles have stated that the police still have yet to talk to the victims. How does this happen? Now that no one knows what happened, people and the media are just filling up air space with speculation that is much harder to undo once its been put out there. And the fact that the bricktown association is saying this "just happened to happen in bricktown" is infuriating to me. The reality is that bricktown has had trouble with violence for a long time and the only reason this is getting national attention is because of the game and the success of Thunder Alley. Bricktown has a scape goat this time and it seems they are all about using it.

Thunder Alley may go away, but I can guarantee you violence in bricktown will not go away unless they change some things. They may want to take note that this is exactly the kind of thing that killed Deep Ellum in Dallas. It's going to be very fragile in the coming months and anything that happens, anything at all, will get 10 times the attention it did before. It's funny that the team seems to be working harder on reacting to the situation than Bricktown is, but Bricktown has much more to lose in the long run.

By all accounts, this has been welling up in Bricktown for a while.

Time to address the larger issue, not just Thunder Alley.

One Arrested In Connection With Bricktown Shooting After Thunder Game

Posted: May 22, 2012 2:46 PM PDT
    Updated: May 22, 2012 2:56 PM PDT
    By Havonnah Johnson, News 9 - bio | email

Witnesses were confused by how this started, but there was reportedly there was fight between a group of men and women, which apparently escalated.

Police say Rodney D. Hill has been arrested in this case.

Nine people were injured, including an expectant mother. In all eight people were shot, and according to EMSA, two of them were transported in critical condition.

Witnesses were confused by how this started, but there was reportedly there was fight between a group of men and women, which apparently escalated.

"I thought this was a part of a celebration, but people started running away and I knew something had happened and unfortunately people got shot," said a taxi driver who didn't want to be identified.

Police said the pregnant woman suffered blunt force trauma, but they aren't sure how. Authorities believe she was either kicked or punched.

Getting to the nine victims proved to be a task as police and paramedics weaved through crowds.

"I have never had anything where you have had that kind of people to deal with 5, 775 people you have no idea who is a patient and what is going on," Greg Ford of EMSA said.

Officials met Tuesday and closed Thunder Alley, but police say their work isn't done.

"We are in the process of trying to locate and review some surveillance in the area we know that there has been some you tube footage put up," Cpt. Dexter Nelson said.

Stay with News 9 and News9.com for the latest updates.

19. Default Re: Thunder Alley - Security and Violence issues

My knee-jerk reaction was to say it should end, but the more I think about it I think it could be redeemed. Like I said earlier in this thread, I think controlling access to the event and to the free Lower Bricktown parking lots would help greatly. I know they might be unpopular moves, but surely not more unpopular than cancelling altogether and far better than doing nothing and potentially seeing the same re-occur.

Also, simply cancelling the event doesn't guarantee that people won't show up in the lots & still roam around Bricktown and the arena looking for trouble. I really do think that on event night it needs to be only people who have legitimate business down here, be it going to an event or frequenting an establishment. Ask management of various shopping malls in town how much they enjoy loitering, roving packs of teens who aren't there to do business with the stores. It's a very similar problem.

According to NewsOK, the suspect has been identified as Rodney Hill, shown in a photograph to be a baby-faced young black male. According to OSCN, Rodney Dewon Hill turned 21 years old on May 14th, and was charged with: 1) "Criminal probable cause" on 1/4/2012; 2) Three felonies on 2/2/2012; 3) An additional unrelated felony on 3/21/2012; and 4) "Criminal miscellaneous" today. So, before turning 21 years of age and in the first three months of the year, Hill was charged with five crimes before opening fire in a crowd and wounding eight people. Sorry, ALLEGEDLY.

Urbanized, all that can be addressed through security and police.

Independent of those looking for trouble, people want to come together downtown and we should be working on ways to facilitate that, not limit it.

One idea is to move the watch party to inside the Cox Center but I think that would effectively kill it.

Mick Cornett's silence - combined with conflicting information from official sources - is creating a vacuum that is being filled by confusion and fear. I just sent him an email, respectfully asking him to get off of his rear end and say something. If you'd like to do the same, send to mayor@okc.gov.

There's nine days until the next home game versus San Antonio. I hope that he'll say something quickly, and develop a good plan methodically.

23. Default Re: Thunder Alley - Security and Violence issues

Pete, when I say "only those who have legitimate business" that can include people attending Thunder Alley (with better control of access), people in restaurants and bars, people taking their kids to MBG, or heck, people jogging walking their dogs in Bricktown. I don't mean that everyone down here should be a paying customer at that moment. But all of those are legitimate uses.

Putting an ice chest in the trunk, hanging out in a parking lot drinking, or strolling around with no particular aim other than to cause trouble are NOT legitimate uses however, and I don't think we need to do anything to encourage that behavior or make it easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    Mick Cornett's silence - combined by conflicting information from official sources - is creating a vacuum that is being filled by confusion and fear. I just sent him an email, respectfully asking him to get off of his rear end and say something. If you'd like to do the same, send to mayor@okc.gov.

There's nine days until the next home game versus San Antonio. I hope that he'll say something quickly, and develop a good plan methodically.
    I'm sorry, but what makes you think they are "sitting on their rears"? Blurting something out just to soothe the masses when he likely does not have all the facts himself will solve nothing. KWTV deciding to fart out a complete untruth is their problem, not Cornett's.

I really think everyone needs to take a chill pill. Some are really lending credence to the phrase "letting the criminals win." I would much rather have a well thought out plan that balances everyone's needs and concerns than have our local officials do backflips for the media. No rush folks. Their biggest concern right now should be arresting those who are responsible.

Urbanized, I agree.

BTW, it sounds like the Mayor's original quote was "Thunder Alley is over as we know it", which is why there have been conflicting reports. It also sounds ominous.

If that's the case, I'll go back to my previous statements about weak leadership and taking the easy way out.

Thread Information