Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Thunder Alley - Security and Violence issues

Default Re: Thunder Alley - Has this been mentioned?

Forgive my ignorance, but who is Big Bad Ben?

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but who is Big Bad Ben?
    The OP

Quote Originally Posted by redrunner View Post
    The OP
    Wow. Right in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBen View Post
    Has anything been mentioned about the crowd being attracted by the jumbotron on the side of the arena?

When we left the game last night, it looked like every gangbabger in OKC was hanging out around the arena. None of them watching the game, but instead trying to intimidate people, and flashing gang signs.

Ive never seen it like this. My wife felt threatened and that pissed me off.

If that is the element showing the game outside is going to attract then the plug should be pulled.

No tickets? Watch at home!
    http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=30119

seriously, no one can see a connection? I thought some people on here were a little brighter...

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=30119

seriously, no one can see a connection? I thought some people on here were a little brighter...
    Are you standing by that post in its entirety?

Evidently there was a gang problem, although my admitting that is still way too premature, plus we're talking about a city as a whole that has had a rising gang problem since 2010. It was my personal familiarity with the Thunder Alley revelry, although I was in the arena myself, that led me to defend the ability of people who can't afford $200 tickets to still unite and have a common team experience.

Default Re: Thunder Victory Monday Night and You?

OCPD was worried about problems tonight based on stuff from after the game last Wednesday. The police knew a lot known gang members were around the area last Wednesday. They had put their full gang unit on duty tonight

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    How could anyone still be trapped in Bricktown? Unless they parked inside of a blocked off police corridor that doesn't make sense.
    There is about a 4 or 5 block area cordoned off. Again just what I got off twitter so take it for what its worth. I just looked on traffic on Google Maps and it looks like it has died down considerably in the past 15 minutes around downtown.

In any event, I'm going to bed. I'm utterly depressed right now and will probably not be watching the local news for a few days. The hyperbole will be unbearable. Hopefully our city will move on from this, although I think fun stuff like Thunder Alley are probably done.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    OCPD was worried about problems tonight based on stuff from after the game last Wednesday. The police knew a lot a known gang members were around the area last Wednesday. They had put their full gang unit on duty tonight
    Wow. And this still happened.

I'm with adaniel. This is depressing as hell. However, I'm still optimistic that there will be a positive twist out of this. OKC usually does that, right now I just don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Wow. And this still happened.

I'm with adaniel. This is depressing as hell. However, I'm still optimistic that there will be a positive twist out of this. OKC usually does that, right now I just don't see it.
    The Lakers are the NBA team that brings them out. That didn't help matters

I have no problem with people congregating outside the arena, especially for the playoffs. In fact, i almost went myself this evening. Its a great jolly feel good event, but when this chap posts that the environment around the arena on 5/17 makes his wife feel uncomfortable, it is telling. and then we see what happened tonight after the game.

Wow. I hadn't even thought of that, but very true.

Can anybody who has been to TA comment on how much "crowd control" is in place? Is it just a free for all? Are people BYOBing?

Shame this had to happen, there was lots of coverage on national TV commenting on how awesome it was that we had such a large crowd outside the arena. People often forget that our shiny/emerging downtown is quite close to high crime areas with known gang problems.

Good thing we won tonight! Can only imagine what would have happened if we lost...

Can't comment on TA, but things were definitely still a little hectic in Bricktown when I left about a half hour ago. I know that the parking lot near Fuzzy's and Sonic was cordoned off as a crime scene, so the people parked there at least are stuck there. The Fuzzy's employees are still stuck there, or at least a few of them. I didn't personally see anything really about the incident. I did see a whole mob of people rush Lower Bricktown trying to get away from it. Pretty scary sight.

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    Can anybody who has been to TA comment on how much "crowd control" is in place? Is it just a free for all? Are people BYOBing?

Shame this had to happen, there was lots of coverage on national TV commenting on how awesome it was that we had such a large crowd outside the arena. People often forget that our shiny/emerging downtown is quite close to high crime areas with known gang problems.

Good thing we won tonight! Can only imagine what would have happened if we lost...
    If I understand right, this happened in the area around Harkins as people were leaving the arena.

If I understand right, this happened in the area around Harkins as people were leaving the arena.

Closer to the ballpark.

Odd it would happen there, as police are almost always posted up just south by the fountain & Fuzzy's. I guess if you are shooting somebody, you don't look for police first? I am guessing this was a teenager who pulled the trigger.

So, with the open carry law that just passed - if somebody shoots in a crowd, and a would-be hero without a uniform shoots back, how do the police know who is the bad guy?

Wow. I hadn't even thought of that, but very true.
    The police and gang unit was hoping this series would get over sooner rather than later. You won't see the same sort of problems with San Antonio

Problem is that you have a lot of gangbangers that are old Laker fans. Throw in new Thunder ones. Then they all go downtown and start crossing paths with rival gangs and it doesn't take much

Well, I'm not disagreeing that there's a connection, or at least I made a connection... I'm on a trip out of town right now, and got the newsok text message alerting about the shooting and instantly got on my computer knowing that OKC Talk would be the go-to real time source, and this thread was the first thing I checked. Apparently most people didn't see this thread and had the discussion in the Thunder Victory thread. But I get what you're saying..

However I think you can also probably see what I was saying..

The police and gang unit was hoping this series would get over sooner rather than later. You won't see the same sort of problems with San Antonio

Problem is that you have a lot of gangbangers that are old Laker fans. Throw in new Thunder ones. Then they all go downtown and start crossing paths with rival gangs and it doesn't take much
    With this being the case, I hope that the City and Police and perhaps even the Thunder and Bricktown can do a PR circuit on this point, that the Spurs won't bring the same issues as the Lakeshow, and we can get on with rooting on the team in OKC-style.

20. Default Re: Thunder Victory Monday Night and You?

So, with the open carry law that just passed - if somebody shoots in a crowd, and a would-be hero without a uniform shoots back, how do the police know who is the bad guy?
    More B.S. - How often (if ever) has that been an issue in Oklahoma all these years we've been a conceal and carry state?

Ok, first things first. the new law is not in effect until November 1. As for now, you do realize, hopefully, concealed carry permits have been around for about 17 years. The only real difference in the new law coming is folks with permits will have the option to conceal carry or open carry.

Once it takes effect, the police will know the same way they do today. They will investigate shootings, piece together facts and solve disputed issues, or not, to the best of their abilities. Open carry, conceal carry, illegal carry ... none of these change the basic nature of a firearm discharge investigation.

This is what happens when you people elect morons who pass open carry making us the wild west. I just wanted to get that off of my chest. Gun control is a good thing.
    This may be the most meaningless and ill informed passage you have ever written here, and given some of your rants over time, that is saying something. A not yet in effect open carry law had nothing to do with what happened in Bricktown. I'll speculate that the existing concealed carry law was not a factor either. I'll further speculate that illegal carry had quite a bit to do with matters. Time will tell, but I'm confident my speculation will end up being far more accurate than your silliness of trying to connect a not yet in place bit of legislation.

23. Default Re: Thunder Victory Monday Night and You?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    This may be the most meaningless and ill informed passage you have ever written here, and given some of your rants over time, that is saying something. A not yet in effect open carry law had nothing to do with what happened in Bricktown. I'll speculate that the existing concealed carry law was not a factor either. I'll further speculate that illegal carry had quite a bit to do with matters. Time will tell, but I'm confident my speculation will end up being far more accurate than your silliness of trying to connect a not yet in place bit of legislation.

We were in two different areas of TA last night, each distinct in crowd feel, but neither felt dangerous. I will say this, however: There seemed to be an uneasy tension as people mixed in tight, close quarters, as if one wrong look or accidental bump could quickly escallate. We turned to a young black guy and asked how many fouls Kobe had, and he turned away without responding as if we didn't have the right to talk to him. But in another area, a young white guy was wearing a Harden jersey and two days of stubble, and we were all laughing about his comparative lack of beard.

We didn't see any visible alcohol or drug consumption, and there was one report of a 40-minute wait for beer at a tent or trailer. Several events security people in yellow polo shirts were present, and a few uniformed police officers. Their presence will go way up for the next games.

Pete... That's a great picture and my new desktop

Thread Information