Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Irma's

Default Irma's Burger Shack - Plaza Court location

Well I ate at the new location in Midtown's famous Plaza Court. The atmosphere was very nostalgic and the place was about three-forths packed when I walked in at noon. I must say the service was excellent and they were overstaffed if anything. The food however was a different story. I've never been to the orginal Irma's so I can't compare it. I ordered the frito chili pie and an appetizer of salsa cheese stuffed fried olives. I heard they were supposed to be good. The frito pie was probably the worst I've had in my life. In the stuffed olives, I tasted no olive, cheese, or salsa. Also the portion sizes are very small for the price. I got about 10 stuffed olives for $5.95 and the chili pie was like $3.95. For a total with tax was about $10.50 not including tip. The portion size of the chili pie was also very small. While I hope this place succeeds and I will probably visit again, I won't be ordering these two items. I overheard someone say that this was their first day open. I'm not sure if that is correct or not.

Anyhow, for more info check out their website:

Irma's Home Page

Default Re: Irma's Burger Shack - Plaza Court location

Order the No Name Ranch Burger next time.

I haven't been to the new location, but I was at the original again on Sunday. Still the best burger in town.

Yes, their burgers are greatness as are their onion rings.

You have to give new places a few weeks to iron out the bugs... I'm sure they'll soon be up to snuff and will do a great business at that location.

Why do you go to a burger joint and not order a burger?

How can you possibly judge a place called a "burger shack" on its chili pie.

It's just not fair!

As I said Mid, I'll probably go back. Probably many times. I live and work within 5 blocks of here. I didn't order a burger because it didn't sound good. I'll definitely try one out sometime. I didn't just judge it on it's chili pie, I also judged it on their supposively really good salsa cheese stuffed olives. And as I mentioned, I'll be checking it out again, so I'm not solely basing it off this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Why do you go to a burger joint and not order a burger?

How can you possibly judge a place called a "burger shack" on its chili pie.

It's just not fair!
    You should always order a burger at a burger joint; however, ALWAYS, AlWAYS, order Frito chili pie if a restaurant offers it.

I will let you know when and where you can get a dynamite Quail Chili Frito Pie as we approach Fall.

Thanks tuck, also typically it a new restaurant has kinks to get out with hours, service, etc. I clearly stated the service was above excellent, it was the food that was lacking. Usually existing restaurants don't "tweak" their food over a few weeks. Only innovative restaurants who change their menu frequently do such. I don't see a burger joint doing such.

I've been to the Irma's on the NW side before and enjoyed whatever it was I ordered. I remember it was a burger of some kind, and onion rings. Maybe they were just having a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    You should always order a burger at a burger joint; however, ALWAYS, AlWAYS, order Frito chili pie if a restaurant offers it.

I will let you know when and where you can get a dynamite Quail Chili Frito Pie as we approach Fall.
    Lemmeguess... Red Prime Steakhouse?

Seriously though.. if y'all only live up to half the hype, you'll be a tourist-worthy attraction to our downtown area. I'm damn proud to have you guys helping bring back Automobile Alley. Thanks.

10. Default Re: Irma's Burger Shack - Plaza Court location

How can you mess up a Frito Chili Pie?

Their burgers are GREAT though.

Not sure, go to Irma's and order it and you'll see. Didn't even taste close to chili. And the jalapeno's were funky tasting too. Luckily but weird enough, they give you everything on the side. A mini bag of fritos, a very small bowl of "chili", a teaspoon of cheese, a small side cup of jalapeno's, and a side cup of onions.

The burgers in the new location are exactly like the burgers in the old location. No difference. Just had a bacon-mushroom-noname burger this afternoon. It was great as usual.

I went to the original Irma's for the first time last week, and had the No Name burger. (As a burger guy, there's no way I could go to a place with "burger" in it's name and order anything but.) A little too much on the bunny side, but other than that, it was dee-lish. Wonderful flavor. I don't know if I liked it as much as I do Johnnie's and Goldie's burgers, but I'm certainly willing to give it another shot.

Even though this article mentions really slow business for weekends and evenings, I suspect that will change a great deal when McNellie's opens:

Sat July 21, 2007
    Irma's Burger Shack opens second location

By Trisha Evans
    Business Writer

The signs are not yet up at the new Irma's Burger Shack in Plaza Court, but the smell of flame-kissed burgers welcome patrons just the same.

Irma's opened in a second location, 1120 Classen Drive, last week and business is already steady, said co-owner Linda Lee.

"For me this is the mark of success. For independent restaurants like us, not a lot of us open (restaurant) No. 2,” she said.

But besides the larger size and openness of the restaurant, not much will change, Lee said. Customers still can count on the hand-cut French fries, home-made onion rings, freshly-made gravy — and of course, the famous burgers.

The first Irma's opened in 2003, and having another footprint in Oklahoma City has been on the owners' minds the last two years. But it was the customers' influence coupled with a good opportunity that led them to Midtown.

"Really and truly, I guess we kind of found the place before we knew we were going to expand,” she said.

Lee said they were approached about opening a second restaurant in Plaza Court, and the demographics really fit.

"We already had a lot of customers at the first Irma's who live down here and in Heritage Hills,” she said. "They kept asking us, when are you going to open a restaurant closer to us?”

So far, customers seem to be excited, Lee said. The lunch crowd is fantastic, but the dinner and weekend business leaves a lot to be desired, she said. The adjacent Boulevard Cafeteria is closed on Saturdays, and the nearby Subway restaurant is closed Saturdays and Sundays.

Still, neighbors are dropping by to welcome the restaurant to Midtown.

Sister Veronica Higgins, principal at Villa Teresa School, tried the restaurant the first time Friday. She said she thinks the restaurant will be a hit with the employees of St. Anthony Hospital down the street.

Oklahoma City residents Marla McBryde and son Patrick McBryde are frequent Irma's customers and said Irma's in Plaza Court is more convenient for them.

"We like the ambiance and the casual atmosphere. It's family friendly,” Marla McBryde said. "I really like the burgers. They're lean and have a lot of flavor.”

"They also have really good fries and fired okra. I haven't had their desserts, but the fried okra is usually my dessert,” she added.

Patrick McBryde said he likes to order the NoName burger because it's chemical free. The meat is from the NoName Ranch near Wynnewood.

"There are no hormones and no pesticides. It's healthier,” he said.

Irma's has quite a following for the NoName burger, Lee said. It's all-natural meat with no fillers and is seasoned in the restaurant with Irma's secret recipe.

Lee said the new restaurant will also continue to use a number of made-in-Oklahoma products including Field's Pecan Pies, Schwab's meat and Choc beer.

And much like the flagship restaurant, Irma's in Plaza Court will be a place to cure the day's ills.

"It's kind of our slogan. We feel like, if you have a bad day — a good burger and a cold beer will change things,” Lee said

I noticed that part too Malibu. I've gone by Irma's several occassions on nights and weekends and it didn't appear they were open to me. Perhaps if they would do some advertising ( I don't think they've done any ) and extend their hours, us locals who live around here would visit it on nights/weekends.

I decided to try Irma's again and give it another shot. I grabbed a quick No Name burger with cheddar cheese to go. I must say, the burger was delicious and it tasted like you grilled it yourself on the grill in the backyard (or balcony for us downtowners). Very good and I enjoyed the quality organic beef. I will say though that it's not worth $7.00, especially since it does not come with any sides. I love the atmosphere and location and will definitely visit again, but it costs about $10.00 or more for a burger and fries. That's too much for a burger and fries in my book. At least on a regular basis.

17. Default Re: Irma's Burger Shack - Plaza Court location

I've been an Irma's fan since they opened up #1 on 63rd and now having them in my neighborhood is even better. I've made it there three times since they opened and it appears that they are off to a good start. The lunch crowd is predictably large and the evening crowd predictably small, but it usually takes a while for a burger shop to develop a consistent dinner business.

When I have a burger at Irma's, it's always the NoName . . . never been disappointed. The fries and rings are also top shelf. Though the price is higher than most restaurant burgers, the quality is without comparison in OKC.

Other favorites of mine on the menu are the Meatloaf dinner and Gumbo. Their salads are always fresh, tasty and generous. The new Plaza Court location serves the Gumbo in a regular bowl rather than the styrofoam used on 63rd which is a welcome improvement IMO and the only thing I would change is using glass rather than styrofoam beverage glasses. An ice cold Choc beer in a frosty glass is my beverage of choice from among the good beer assortment offered. Their high wait staff standards and good training keep the service top notch along with the food.

Though not a sports joint, the comfortable stools at the small bar will be a good spot to take in a game on the decent sized flat panel TV.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Very good and I enjoyed the quality organic beef. I will say though that it's not worth $7.00, especially since it does not come with any sides. I love the atmosphere and location and will definitely visit again, but it costs about $10.00 or more for a burger and fries. That's too much for a burger and fries in my book. At least on a regular basis.
    I agree with you on the price. When I go, I order the No Name burger w/ cheese, fries and a coke. With tip, it comes up to like $12. Seems to be $5 too much.

19. Default Re: Irma's Burger Shack - Plaza Court location

The problem is that beef in general has become so much more expensive given the whole ethanol thing. And the no-name beef is supposed to be organic, right? Of course it's going to be more expensive.

For me, I'd personally pay the extra to know that my beef was of better quality...just like I'd pay extra for organic milk and vegetables at the grocery store. But, I love Irma's.
    Still corrupting young minds

Quote Originally Posted by mecarr View Post
    I agree with you on the price. When I go, I order the No Name burger w/ cheese, fries and a coke. With tip, it comes up to like $12. Seems to be $5 too much.
    Go to Nic's Grill 11th and Penn for THE BEST burgers in town. Burger, fries for 5.50. It blows Irma's away for price/quality and hole in wall experience.

That place is good! Hard to get in, it's tiny. Take cash.

Dustbowl & K I've wondered about that tiny restaurant (Nic's) for years... thanks!
    I thought it must be good to be so tiny and have lasted so long.

23. Default Re: Irma's Burger Shack - Plaza Court location

I know this thread has been dead for a few years, but didn't want to start a new thread just to announce.....

Irma's has a coupon good for both locations!

http://deals.eataroundokc.com/i/4buaFvul/l/

$10 for $20

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    How can you mess up a Frito Chili Pie?

Their burgers are GREAT though.
    Seems fairly simple but it is amazing how basic food items can and do get screwed up. With Chili Pie, it may be the Chili itself is sub par or maybe they don't use real Fritos or the Fritos are stale. Etc. Can also depend on the consistency of the chili, too dry or soupy etc. Have to have the right ratio of wet/dry ingredients.

Went to the Irmas on 63rd (was a Rib Crib many years ago) and was extremely disappointed with the the burger, fries & frito pie (I couldn't decide so got both). Service was horrible, and not a good value for the money at all. Haven't been back (not in my regular travel path). Usually give places a second shot and if in the area might give it another go. Have been on a great onion ring search of late so may give it another try.

Multiple Locations Irma's

[category=]Restaurants[/category]
    [category=]Midtown[/category]

[toc]no[/toc]
    Address: 1120 N Classen
    Development:
    Opened:
    Closed:
    Owner:
    Sq. Ft.:

Information & Latest News

Links