Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Homeland building on I-240 and S. May.

Default Old Homeland building on I-240 and S. May.

I had kept mentioning, that I was hoping they would do something with the old Homeland building, seeing as they have a Jack in the Box there.

Well, sure enough, something might be happening. I was driving home from work today, when I noticed a huge sign up, by Landrun Real Estate. This sign shows a concept picture of a bunch of stores as a plaza. It says now leasing and says "will divide."

I am hoping this means something will be done with that Homeland, where many stores move in. If that's the case, man that would rock.

Default Re: Old Homeland building on I-240 and S. May.

Score another...

(I don't want to beat anyone else to the punch for what is surely going to follow from here on)

Just looked at the live property records. Someone purchased it on April 5th, 2012.

LRCRE.com is the website of the people wanting to renovate Homeland into a plaza. They show a picture of it.

Man, it sure would be nice if they get some tenants in there. There isn't a Gamestop on southside anymore. They need to fix that.

What plaza? It looks like they are just re-cladding the property with a new coating of EIFS.

This prospective I-240 Gamestop wouldn't happen to carry zombie games by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    What plaza? It looks like they are just re-cladding the property with a new coating of EIFS.

This prospective I-240 Gamestop wouldn't happen to carry zombie games by any chance?
    I hear they might construct a tunnel running from there to Crossroads.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I hear they might construct a tunnel running from there to Crossroads.
    Im sure the zombies at Crossroads will enjoy their new empty space since im sure someone from Crossroads will move to this new Homeland space.

One step forward, two steps back. Lol

Here's a current picture of the place I just pulled from Google Maps. Actually, the redevelopment seems a lot better than what is going on there right now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	homeland.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	1540

It's going to be hard to recruit anyone descent there because of the crime rate from the apartment complexes in that area. The high theft and the opening of the Southside Crest Store is probably what killed Homeland.

They just built a Jack in the Box on the corner, by this old Homeland.

I venture to guess those who built JitB, knew something was gonna happen around this area. Then again, it could be part of that whole "revival of I-240" the city keeps mentioning.

I just want empty buildings renovated and filled.

That Homeland/Albertons/Whatever it was was skating on the edge long before Crest went in.

I wonder if the new owners are planning something similar to what Odom did with another old Albertson's location at SW 104th and Western, turning it into a nice little center called "Palagio."

But I agree that the immediate area north of that site will make any such transition difficult. Will give them credit for trying, however.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    That Homeland/Albertons/Whatever it was was skating on the edge long before Crest went in.

I wonder if the new owners are planning something similar to what Odom did with another old Albertson's location at SW 104th and Western, turning it into a nice little center called "Palagio."

But I agree that the immediate area north of that site will make any such transition difficult. Will give them credit for trying, however.
    I am just wonder how well the store has held up over the years. I believe that store was built in the 70's. The Albertson's store was barely ten years old when it was converted to Palagio.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    I am just wonder how well the store has held up over the years. I believe that store was built in the 70's. The Albertson's store was barely ten years old when it was converted to Palagio.
    I don't think its that big of deal. The whole thing will be pretty much gutted out and rebuilt. If its like Palagio anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by megax11 View Post
    They just built a Jack in the Box on the corner, by this old Homeland.

I venture to guess those who built JitB, knew something was gonna happen around this area. Then again, it could be part of that whole "revival of I-240" the city keeps mentioning.

I just want empty buildings renovated and filled.
    Or they just thought near a community college was a logical place to build a new store. The criteria for a fast food restaurant aren't exactly the highest in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Or they just thought near a community college was a logical place to build a new store. The criteria for a fast food restaurant aren't exactly the highest in the world.
    Sometimes it's as simple as this.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Which makes it all the more curious that, apparently, Taco Bell isn't going to rebuild on that corner just west of the old Homeland/Skaggs building. I thought sure they'd have started building one of those quickie-buildup places, but the thing remains a pile of dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    It's going to be hard to recruit anyone descent there because of the crime rate from the apartment complexes in that area. The high theft and the opening of the Southside Crest Store is probably what killed Homeland.
    Not to mention the crime rate with the zombies that keep coming in from the tunnel to the abandoned Crossroads Mall.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Which makes it all the more curious that, apparently, Taco Bell isn't going to rebuild on that corner just west of the old Homeland/Skaggs building. I thought sure they'd have started building one of those quickie-buildup places, but the thing remains a pile of dirt.
    Was thinking the same thing myself...they were quick to tear the old one down, but slow in getting the new one started....the only thing that makes me think that they are still planning on putting another Taco Bell there is their main road sign is still in place. While not unusual for a smaller non-chain place to not remove signage, I haven't noticed it so much with national chain places...just isn't good for their image etc. I remember when McDonald's "relocated" the store on Lincoln to 23rd & Broadway, they stripped the old building of every golden arch logo (and they were on everything, even the dumpster gates) and vestiges of "McDonald's" from the building they could. They even changed the angled roof facade...all over a single weekend.

I don't think they would bother tearing down the old building if they weren't going to rebuild. Maybe Jack in the Box going in caused them to reevaluate their rebuilding plans.

It could be that the demolition company did not own a bucket truck or it was going to add to the cost of demolition. The Smicklas Chevrolet Used Car sign stayed in place after the dealership was tore down. Dave & Busters remodeled the old sign for their place. The sign can be used as an accessory to the sale. All they have to do is buy a new light cover and turn it on.

22. Default Re: Old Homeland building on I-240 and S. May.

There's been a storage box there since before the demo. Sort of like a mobile-mini, but not so mini. I think it would be a stretch for someone to tear down a building if they were simply closing, rather than re-leasing it. Unless they had some fire damage or something we don't know about, it just doesn't make any sense to demo and not rebuild. Although, you do have to wonder why they are taking so long. Usually those things go up in a flash.

I'm wondering if there are some behind-the-scenes issues with the franchisee. How many place do you see that are only Taco Bell now when they are built new? Maybe he doesn't want to have to deal with a KFC as well, but is being forced into it and is making a fight. Who knows.....

I know what you mean but one that comes to mind is the new Taco Bell (replacing an older one) at NW 23rd & May...Taco Bell only...may also depend on proximity to a KFC (there is one about a mile down the street near 23rd & Penn. If owned by the same franchisee, could have consolidated building costs etc. Is there a KFC in that area already?

There's a KFC 2 miles away on I-240 and Western.

So is that considered to be to close to do a combo at this location? There is a combo KFC/TB just down May at 29th, but that is 3(?) miles so since there was a TB already, I am guessing that is far enough away

Thread Information