Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Parkside Building

Default Re: SandRidge Amenities Building

I used to go to Harold's in Norman for nice clothes back in high school. That was a classy business...

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I was only a kid, but my mom worked at Kerr McGee in the early 80s and I remember Kerr Park and the Conncourse packed and full of life.
    You are quite right, I worked downtown and would always go to Kerr Park for the concerts at lunch - it was always busy. The Conncourse was so crowded that it was often difficult to get by (though this was at key intersections). There were plenty of Conncourse eateries and everything was always full at lunch. I really enjoyed the crowds at Kerr Park, working in the bowels of a tower this was a wonderful release to go outside, sit by the water and listen to a free concert. Sometimes the concrete could get too hot, so you watched where you sat.

Though I am not over-enthusiastic about the new landscaping, I think I understand why. The thing that would discourage outdoor walking was the wind. Kerr Park was arranged in the "theatre area" to minimize the winds, but in-general it was often extreme. The closeness of the buildings would create strong winds on a day when the breeze outside of downtown was gentle. When a friend visited downtown, one of the things he said he liked was how close the buildings were. Eastern cities were often built this dense, but more modern western cities often had large open spaces around their towers (modern set-backs and shadow concerns). Only in the "dog-days" of Summer would there be no wind in the downtown canyons. The fact that Sandridge is landscaping with wind blocks says two things. First it says that it wants street pedestrian life around the buildings and is planting to protect and encourage this. Secondly, it says that it intends to rebuild some of the density that it has removed. It is this density that creates the wind, and by clearly planting wind blocks, Sandridge is revealing their plan to return the density of structure that encourages these winds. Even when I would go to Kerr Park for lunch - almost every day - I had to use the Conncourse to get close so that the wind would not "blow me away" before I could get there. The trick was knowing all the "hidden" entrances to the Conncourse from all the neighboring buildings.

3. Default Re: SandRidge Amenities Building

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Also, I think that FAO Schwartz was open barely a year.

The best thing about downtown in the late 70's and early 80's was the FNC arcade, which not only featured BC Clark, but also Harold's, Orbach's, a nice gift store and a bunch of other retailers. It's sad to see it now but hopefully new owners will help bring it back.
    Oh man, I used to go to Orbach's and Harold's all the time! Miss those places. It's a shame what happened to the Orbachs.

Looks like SandRidge is really getting ready to crank up construction here, as they have recently received approval for a couple of construction staging areas.

Will be really fun and interesting to watch this structure take shape.

Looks like SandRidge is really getting ready to crank up construction here, as they have recently received approval for a couple of construction staging areas.

Will be really fun and interesting to watch this structure take shape.
    This will really be visible from northbound I-235, as you can see the shinny side of the Dowell building that it will cover up. It's exposed from several viewpoints as you drive by, kind of sticks out like a sore thumb.

Construction cranes:

Now:
    Aloft
    Chesapeake Arena

Very soon:
    Maywood Apartments
    Bricktown Hotel
    SandRidge Amenities
    The Edge
    Main Street Parking Garage

On the horizon:
    Convention Center & Hotel
    SandRidge building on Broadway
    Expansion of Broadway/Kerr garage
    Century Center expansion and renovation
    East Bricktown Hotel & Apartments
    Mystery tower(s)??

Broadway/Kerr garage?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Broadway/Kerr garage?
    Recently purchased by SandRidge and expected to be renovated and expanded.

SandRidge has made a slight change to the plan for this building.

There will no longer be a roof-top basketball court. It will now be an inaccessible green roof.

Huh? Ok... they can certainly do whatever they want inside/with their building, but a strange move.

The best thing about that court would have been the ability to do large functions up there.

Have no idea why they made the change.

They will still have plenty of spots for large groups.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Huh? Ok... they can certainly do whatever they want inside/with their building, but a strange move.
    Sounds as if they are going for LEED points. These are the sort of things that move you up. That would make it not so strange and would be a good pr move for an energy company, particularly in an industry under attack from environmentalists. This would show they have environmental sensitivity, whether it is true or not.

I know they have other areas for functions but being outdoors under the stars with OKC's tallest buildings all around would make for a special setting.

Looking forward to see this start to take shape!

I know they have other areas for functions but being outdoors under the stars with OKC's tallest buildings all around would make for a special setting.

Looking forward to see this start to take shape!
    Agree...

Tuck, any new news on your restaurant for this building??

Nothing new...stay tuned!

While a basketball court on the roof would certainly seem cool on paper, I tend to think that its not all that functionable. Extreme heat in summers, probably constantly windy, unsightly fence having to go around the perimeter of the roof... a green roof is a suitable replacement IMO.

Maybe they'll move that court accross the street to the corner.....haha, get a little infill going.

Here are the latest (and I'm assuming final) plans:

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    While a basketball court on the roof would certainly seem cool on paper, I tend to think that its not all that functionable. Extreme heat in summers, probably constantly windy, unsightly fence having to go around the perimeter of the roof... a green roof is a suitable replacement IMO.

The 7th level looks accessible to me.

Accessible for maintenence would be my guess (the generator and elevator switch room). The roof is labled "inaccessible green roof." I like having the basketball court indoors better myself.

The plans had always included the indoor court/gym, they just deleted the additional court from the roof.

There was a presentation today at City Council regarding Kerr & Couch parks.

All the same renderings were shown but they said they are only preliminary plans and that there will be an extensive public process to come up with the final design.

The City has some funds to cover this but SandRidge & Chesapeake will put up the rest of whatever is needed.

Thread Information